Options

How do you take off the speakers?

I'm looking for help regarding taking the speakers off in an Outback. I'm wanting to install USB import under the speakers. Any help to NOT scratch the wood would be helpful. 
Sun Valley Idaho living, 2 restaurants, 2 labs, 1 helluva wife! 2016 T@B Max-S Outback towed by. 2007 Toyota FJ Crusier

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I didn't have to remove my speakers to install the USB ports and battery meter, but I don't know if your Outback is built the same as my S Max. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    What did you do Verna, take the light fixture out to get at the wiring?
  • Options
    The wiring is exposed inside the cabinet. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RlethbriRlethbri Member Posts: 38
    It's the same set-up but I'm wanting to plug in underneath the speaker so the plug can't be seen. 
    Sun Valley Idaho living, 2 restaurants, 2 labs, 1 helluva wife! 2016 T@B Max-S Outback towed by. 2007 Toyota FJ Crusier
  • Options
    My speakers have exposed screws on the face of them (see 1st picture.). If yours have the screws, does removing the screws allow you to remove the speaker? 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RlethbriRlethbri Member Posts: 38
    Sorry, didn't see that. Mine do not have to exposed screws. If so, this would be a silly fourm questions. Hee! Hee! 
  • Options
    Rlethbri said:
    Sorry, didn't see that. Mine do not have to exposed screws. If so, this would be a silly fourm questions. Hee! Hee! 
    Yes, it would have been, I've been known to miss the obvious before ;)

All I can think of is try turning the speaker face to see if it is just screwed together. I'm admit not "up" on the latest types of speakers. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Try turning speaker cover counter clockwise. Be gentle.
  • Options
    melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
    Did anyone figure out how to remove speakers? Mine have no exposed screws ( see photo) nor will the covers turn counterclockwise. 2017 Tab 320 S

2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
    Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Looks like @brookings pulled them last year.  Maybe he can chime in.

brookings 

March 2018 edited March 2018 75.164.207.136

after putting in new speakers and twitters the sound really improved. You can get a pair of Alpine 5 1/4" with built in tweeters for $50 on Amazon. Just take the old speakers out and center the new ones and screw in. It helps if you stuff some foam in the whole. Then try and get a taller antenna and screw it in. You can unscrew when traveling. Also a radio power booster will really help. A fm booster will also boost TV. Check out the antennas for RVs on YouTube.    
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    I replaced mine recently.  The covers pop off if you put a knife under any edge and lift.  Under the cover will be two square hole screws holding speaker in place. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    edited January 2019
    IIRC, the covers do have little twist-locking threads. At least mine do. They are not very deep though, so if you can't turn them, careful prying as described by DougH should work.
    I never actually tried to remove mine, but one cracked and fell off on its own.
    2015 T@B S