Options

Thermocells, mosquitos, pets

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
This discussion was created from comments split from: 15'x15' Point Loma Dome shelter.
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Those "suckers" (mosquitoes) are either small enough to go through screen holes or big enough to open the screen door. I'm finding that the ThermaCell product is spectacular for when one is sitting still and just talking around the campfire/campsite. They don't work well if there's a stiff breeze, so PXL and his constant wind events wouldn't have much luck with them.

You don't use them indoors as it emits a small amount of a pyrethrin derivative. For those who are prone to migraines, don't stand over one and inhale. There's a slight odor if you are too close, but nothing overpowering. Our teardrop camping group puts them on the ground between every other chair and no bugs are to be found (except monster Moth-Ra moths). Pesky swarms of gnats - gone! I did not get ONE mosquito bite last trip (and Ah's so sweet, they jus' flock ta meh like flies ta honey!) :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Last year, I had a box fan off to the side blowing on me in the evenings when we had impromptu question and answer sessions. Those out of range of the fan used their Thermocells and shared with others close to them. Fans work, Thermocells work. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Are thermacells safe around pets? 
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    Are thermacells safe around pets? 
    Yes, but pets should not have direct contact with the pads or wrappings. Sunny Day wants no part of the Thermocell, so that's a good thing. Once the pad is inserted into the Thermocell, there is a grill that keeps anything from touching the pad. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ditto what V said. Also, don't burn spent pads or the wrappers in the campfire. Use the trash. BTW, I don't think there's one forum member here that would leave wrappers or spent pads or any trash anywhere at a campsite - this is the most responsible group of campers I've ever had the pleasure to meet online.

We've had many tiny and large animals (including kids lol) around the campfires in our gatherings and all were fine and stayed away from the Thermacells. Not even our most mischievous and curious pup paid any mind to them. "People? Multiple hands that can pet mah ears? Someone said COOKIE? SQUIRREL! Forget them stinky little things between the chairs.. I want mah ears scritched!" :lol:

The spent Thermacell pad will be a little hot on the bottom when you change it so mind your fingers. One butane cartridge services 3 pads. There's a click igniter (no flame) that ignites the liquid butane to start up the little heating element which warms up the pad from underneath to emit the chemical (sorry grammar police - prepositional phrase train). You know when it's time to change the pad when the pad color goes from royal blue to white.

As far as overall safety, this is much better than the spray or fogger method of ridding bugs (all of that chemical gets on the grass and ground the animals sit on - then they lick their paws). It also has an itty bitty odor as opposed to sprays and is not noticeable unless you put your nose up to the pad and take a big whiff (please don't do this.. ew! You won't die although you might have an insane urge to send me all your available cash *rocks pocket watch back and forth*). 

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Thanks Verna and Ratkity.
    Shelby probably won't pay any mind, just like Sunny Day, but she's my "kid". I'm very picky about what she eats, what shampoo I wash her with, what organic lawn and garden fertilizer I use since she's in the garden a lot....etc.
    I'll def look into these; I'm getting tired of smelling like "Off" & smearing that nasty stuff on my skin. :open_mouth:

Apologies, Dalehelman, for hijacking this into a mosquito discussion. 

Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.