Options

First time de-winterizing experience

We haven't flushed and filled our camper as of yet... Darn newbies... I'd been doing some reading and have all the manuals.  I said I was going to do it today.  So, I came home from a doctor visit to find my wife on the phone.  She had compared the pics from the older Winterizing PDF, and saw our 2016 setup was different.  She decided to call our dealer, and he said he'd call back.  Like earlier experiences with them, no such luck.  So, Jody called Pleasant Valley and talked to a nice guy named Marvin, who explained the steps and also sent us the updated manual and the how to pdf.  Needless to say, all went well, and the stress levels are better too..
Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
T@bbey  Road   
Appleton,  WI

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Marvin is a great and patience young man!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If you happen to have before and after pics showing the valves I would love to see them. I for one cannot make sense of the tubing layout.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Do you have the 2016 Winterizing doc?  There is a before and after pic in there that matches the current layout.  Then it's easier..  Not sure if you can get it here, but I have the newer manual too.  Happy to send it your way...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    TerryV6 - Any chance you could post it here?
  • Options
    There you go guys..  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
  • Options
    Speaking too soon Photomom...  We thought we'd filled up the fresh water, adding a little bleach as the info says.  Figured we would let it sit overnight.  This morning we ran the sink and shower, then emptied the gray water.  Got about two gallons back.  My sink lines were spitting, so I thought I was empty.  Thus we went plan B, and filled the tank manually, getting about 9-10 gallons in, allowing for spillage and shoe cleaning.  Ran the pump, turned on the sinks and only got minimal back.  So... back to the site here to do more searching.  I saw threads about blockage on the air line by the manual fill area..  I included a photo.  That would cause perhaps a fill problem, not  a usage problem.  I continued...  Next, someone said something about looking underneath, but my camper does not appear to have anywhere it get inside that way.  I then looked in the shower, behind the toilet, as per another discussion.  Here I found a disconnected line to the pump, the one on the left.  I included a pic of this from the manual.  That is the hose fitting for the intake side of the pump, or so it says.  I connected that. 

Still just getting spitting noises. 
     I may have two problems...  One, a airline block not allowing my water hose to completely fill er up.  Now I might have created an air block for the pump to pull up the water from the tank..  I suppose I could run the pump with the sinks open and hope to water eventually...

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Is something blocking the air/overflow line?

• Options
    Thats why included the picture..  It does look that way.  I wasn't going to poke or pull on it without further investigation and reassurance that I should...  I've done that with other things, but this costs a lot more...

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    mine looks like this, and sure enough when I filled the tank water squirted out of that hole so I know it is open. 

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    If you can, stick your camera-phone (or a little mirror & light) in the cavity behind the toilet to be sure the vent hose is connected on the back of that filler fitting (and follow the hose as much as you can to look for kinks, while you're at it).

That hole should be opened up if there's a hose on the back of it. Ours has no hose, so I've plugged that hole to keep water out of the wall.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    TerryV6,
    Just wanted to say thanks for the helpful info you have given. As new T@B owners ourselves, any info is greatly appreciated! Keep it up! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Thanks Eric,  I am such a newbie on all of this.  Usually, you can buy a product, say a bicycle, get on it, and ride away.. This is quite a learning experience, and I am trying to share my stupidity, errr easily made mistakes, with people.  That being said, this is what I've learned... First, my hose on the pump "was" disconnected.  I didn't do that, so it wasn't my fault.. I fixed that potential problem...
    Now, on to what was my fault.  First, I have read the manuals, but sometimes your mind goes down the wrong path.  For us, for some reason, don't ask me, we assumed the hose connection and the manual fill were two ways to fill the tank.  So, with the hose connected, we got plenty of water in the sink.  Once disconnected, not so much.  This was clouding the issue for us. 

Be clear though, there was still a problem here..
    Continuing, We then filled manually thru the other one, adding bleach this time, and got in 10 gallons.  But, same problem...   We did this yesterday of course, and it was raining, so I have that in my favor.  But, this morning, my wife then mentioned that Marvin had talked about a drain cock over by the steps, but said it was something we need not bother with.  I went to take a look.  The cock was open, and since the camper is near the edge of the driveway, it must have drained the fresh water out there into the grass.  There were a number of dead worms around there... 
    I closed the valve, and now understanding where I was supposed to fill the tank, duh..., I did it with the hose and heard the unmistakable gurgling that people talk about..  Tada.....  we are in business...  If that drain line is in the manual, sorry, I missed it.  I did find the unhooked hose because of this.  Our pump sure can get noisy though....  Hope this helps others who are in the search for knowledge...

There is confusion happening here...
    What it is, ain't exactly clear...
    Theres a T@b in the driveway over there,
    Telling me, I got to go somewhere...

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Anyone want to go fishing?

qq.jpg 218.6K
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Terry, 
    If it's calling to you----GO! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    It's time we stop, say, what's that sound...
    Everyone is traveling round...

Sorry Buffalo Springfield....
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    What's funny, is that I know that one! :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Terry, you still may have trapped air in the pump chambers if the pump sounds like a jackhammer. There's a mention in one of the many "loud jack-hammering pump" threads about air trapped in the chambers can cause it to rock and roll against the wall.

Someone's solution was to actually suck the air out of the sink spigot. I had to sedate that one bad brain cell when I read that at 6am! :blush:

Anyhow, my solution was to unhook the output line (one on the right) of the pump and turn on the pump - catching the water in a container. After a cup or two went through, I reconnected the line. The pump has been decibels quieter since. I know I'll have to do this again after re-winterization and blowing air through the lines so parts don't freeze. BTW, putting insulation around the pump didn't help... getting the air out did! 

Did someone mention fishing? *perk* Pass on the dead wormies. Mah fish like fresh wiggly ones!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Ratkity! I bookmarked this for future ref!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Thanks for the info Ratkity! I bookmarked this for future ref!
    Yup, the fish like the wiggly worms! :wink:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Not the worms silly, your solution for the trapped air! [Unless it was worms causing the clog!] =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    :lol:
  • Options
    It takes a village...... :)
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Or a worm farm! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I'll try the pump idea tomorrow... Thanks....
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI