Options

Don't Forget Your Brain

RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
edited October 2014 in Tips & Tricks

I know you've heard, "the hurrier I go, the behinder I get."  That especially applies to tasks that require clear thinking, such as hooking up the trailer and towing it down the road.

So, today I hooked up to the T@B to pull it from the shed to give it a washing and prepare it for next week's trip.  I had to get out of the truck a couple of times to line up the hitch with the tongue.  The final time, I set the parking brake, got out to check, and discovered that I had left the truck motor running with it still in reverse.

Nothing bad happened, thankfully, but it was another reminder that when you are towing, or getting ready to, you need to keep your mind on your business at hand.

Telling you this not to make myself look stupid (it was stupid), but hopefully it will keep someone else from doing the same thing with an outcome not quite as fortunate.

Stay safe...

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Larry -- Thanks for the safety reminder.  ;)  Also remember to chock your wheels BEFORE unhitching.  I was on a slightly rearward sloping campsite last weekend, and when I unhitched the tongue, there was a "lurch" backwards of the T@B.  I did have my rear wheels chocked and it stopped the T@B from rolling backwards, but it made me gasp a little bit, since I've not experienced it before.  #-o
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    In a similar vein, if you are at high altitude and not yet acclimated, it can fog your thinking. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014