Options

How Does Rocky Survive a Western Heat Wave?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
Today, it is around 75 degrees here, because the sun is under clouds, right now. When the sun is out, it jets up to 81, and it is a dry heat. The locals have advised me this is as hot as it gets, so not really close to uncomfortable, to me. The Fantastic Fan has been nothing short of Fantastic and has kept things very comfortable. Here's Rocky enjoying the cool breeze. He has also really enjoyed the snow remaining the upper elevations and the cool mountain streams. Yesterday, we came across several patches of deep snow until our hike was halted when the trail disappeared under knee-deep snow in the Mt. Massive Wilderness. What did Rocky do when he saw the snow? He started rolling around in it. :) WE took a side trip to Great Sand Dunes on Saturday and he loved playing in Medano Creek. I was worried Rocky might not enjoying living in the smaller quarters but any lack of enjoyment experienced in the T@b is outweighed by his delight at the hikes, snow, and streams. Keeping him happy, has not been hard. Keeping him clean?  Impossible.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Buzz cut?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Buzz cut?
    Yes, eventually....I am trying to get it to last a little longer, but we are getting close. There was only one day he really minded the heat and I just took him to the stream right by my campsite to cool off. It did the trick. That water is very cold - straight from the spring thaw.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    EdwinaEdwina Member Posts: 10
    We spent a long weekend in the Dunes last week.  What a beautiful place!  We were even fortunate enough to have another T@B in the campground with us.
    Rocky Mountain Chieftain, Kennedy Society of North America
    2008 T@B Q, 2000 Nissian Xterra
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Hot hot hot!  Ricky's a trooper...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Yes... Hot is not a good word.  Spent last weekend with 90 degrees, in a non powered site.  I'd been researching solar panels for our low powered needs, my wife says we need to consider a generator to run the AC.  Even the quiet ones seem noisy to me....  Of course lying awake drenched in sweat is no fun.... She says she'd like to go back to the Grand Canyon and we would need it.  I said I'd like to go back to Glacier and we wouldn't....
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6 - The trouble with heat and generators is if you need to run it constantly - during generator hours - is gas. Even though they're really efficient you'd still need a couple gallons of gas a day. If it's cool in the morning and at night it works fine otherwise you either need to carry a lot of gas or make a run to the gas station often. If hot all the time, better off find a hookup site.
  • Options
    TerryV6 said:
    Yes... Hot is not a good word.  Spent last weekend with 90 degrees, in a non powered site.  I'd been researching solar panels for our low powered needs, my wife says we need to consider a generator to run the AC.  Even the quiet ones seem noisy to me....  Of course lying awake drenched in sweat is no fun.... She says she'd like to go back to the Grand Canyon and we would need it.  I said I'd like to go back to Glacier and we wouldn't....
    Go to the North Rim and you won't need a/c. Also, the fact that it's a dry heat does make a big difference. The fan moves air very well and it does cool down at night.

• Options
    Busy now Copying, pasting and printing last two comments... Smile
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241

Perhaps a makeshift swamp cooler with a damp cloth over the fan.

'17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
     @TerryV6...one big issue forme is that is you want a generator for A/C you need 2000watts, which is a heavy sucker that eats gas...one of those cute 1K watt (quiet) Hondas won't cut it. As an aside, we camped up north a couple weeks ago, and she scmuck up the hill from us cranked up a 3200watt generator for most of the day...for two small tents!  Maybe they brought their old color TV along...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Weakling - The 2000 isn't that bad :-)
  • Options
    After preparing my arguments carefully,  there was a strong counterattack from "she who must be obeyed* "in the form of:
    1. We just need it at night to sleep..
    2.  How about a propane conversion?

My forces retreated in disarray to the rear.  Their commander is scratching his head,  looking on in dismay at the day's results...

* Rumpole of the Bailey 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6 said:
    After preparing my arguments carefully,  there was a strong counterattack from "she who must be obeyed* "in the form of:

My forces retreated in disarray to the rear.  Their commander is scratching his head,  looking on in dismay at the day's results...

* Rumpole of the Bailey 
    It really is not hot, more like cold at the North Rim at night. It is a much higher elevations. I have been there during the heat of the summer. Very comfortable.

• Options
    I showed some noise comparison videos from YouTube.  To our way of thinking, none of them were particularly quiet...  I'd be happy to do without...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Counterattack like a good soldier...
    The counter argument is - If you're in a campground there are quiet, no generator, hours at night. Usually 10:00pm to 7:00am. So, no AC overnight unless you're in a campground with hookups.
    As far as noise - You absolutely can't tell by YouTube videos. If I have my 2000 sitting a few feet away behind the T@B it's hard to hear. And, the way the brain works, it declares it none threatening and blocks it from your conscience brain.
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    It really is not hot, more like cold at the North Rim at night. It is a much higher elevations. I have been there during the heat of the summer. Very comfortable.
    This, spoken by the "Snow Queen".
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    This, spoken by the "Snow Queen".
    Who had to turn the Alde on last night for a couole of hours.  =)

• Options
    For Rocky not for you I'm betting :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    For Rocky not for you I'm betting :-)
    Of course. :) It's not that I never turn on the heat, I just can tolerate the cold longer than most.

• Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    TerryV6 said:

* Rumpole of the Bailey 
    Not sure of the specifics on the how, but my father-in-law has a Honda 2000 generator that he converted to run on propane or gas so it can be done.
  • Options
    You can purchase modified Honda 2000 generators that run on all 3, gas, propane & natural gas.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2016
    Edwina said:
    We spent a long weekend in the Dunes last week.  What a beautiful place!  We were even fortunate enough to have another T@B in the campground with us.
    I was out there in May and it was my first visit in over 30 years.  Still a pristine and beautiful spot and enjoyed the short trip out and back to Michigan.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Rocky escaped the heat at an alpine lake yesterday. He was in mud all of the way up to his belly. He did the seem to mind.