Options

Norcold Refrigerator 3 way propane lighting stopped working on day 14 days of camping trip

Hi folks, wondered if I could tap into the experience out there related to the 3 way Norcold refrigerator.  TAB 2013 Q-MAX.  Parked very level.  Have used it (90% boon docking) over the last three months for about 10,000 miles of travel without difficulty. I occasionally use it on AC without difficulties.  Last night, despite level, and supply of propane that continues to allow us to boil water etc, I found that when I initiated my usual nightly restart of the propane option for the fridge, that the green light did not ever turn on, as is usual; verified parked flat, propane on, and flowing to stove. I could hear the clicking of the starter from outside by the front vent; but despite various waits, a period on AC using my generator, and patience, could not get the propane mode (i.e. green light) to function in the start up.   

Hopefully have provided enough trouble shooting info? It does function in AC mode, and I never use battery because of the rapid power consumption.  Appreciate any help on solving this? (Fortunately occurred on the last night of the trip, rather than earlier!)

Thanks, Daveincaz

(I am thinking may concurrently ask this on the Facebook site in hope of finding the solution)

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    Davincaz, I've had problems with the 3-way's thermocouple connector coming loose from the control valve. It happened a few times, I assume from vibration, and resulted in me not being able to get the green light to stay on. The green light would come on, but as soon as I released the button, it would go off.

It required me to lift the stovetop and tighten the thermocouple connection, and finally solving it permanently with a dab of Locktite on the threads.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    But I just realized you said the light doesn't come on at all, which makes me think it's an electrical problem. 

The light indicates the fridge burner's gas valve is open/gas flowing, and the clicking is the piezo igniter sparking. The gas won't flow without the 12v electricity working (safety valve), so maybe it's a fuse issue. Check the fuse box, but there are also three fuses on the top of the 3-way accessible under the stovetop.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I don't think it'll stay lit if your battery goes below a certain voltage either (but you didn't mention boondocking). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)