Options

Toyota Camry TV?

MaryGMaryG Member Posts: 2
Greetings from AZ, T@b Masters. I am a T@b Wanna Be. As I do my research, I find my 2002 Toyota Camry CAN tow 2,000 or so total lbs. according to its manual. Then I read DO NOT DO IT in online forums. I can afford a T@b if I am able to use my Camry, or I can afford a used SUV, but not both (insert frowny face). Which is pushing me to research smaller used Class B and C instead of a T@b (and maybe tow the Camry behind the C). Wanna go full time. What do you think about towing with a 4 cylinder Camry? Dumb idea? If so, I must give up my T@b dreams (insert second frowny face). Thanks.  Mary G.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The T@B weighs 1670 without the propane tank and battery. Those are approximately 80 lbs, so you're inching toward 1800 lbs without any food or personal items. Then you have to worry about how much you are actually harming your Camry by towing. As we have said many times, you can tow it, but can you stop it?  You can tow it, but if your budget is stretched so thin, how will you be able to afford repairs to the transmission, brakes, shocks, etc.?  It's not worth it to endanger yourself and others. Sorry, but as a realist, You really need to look at a lighter camper (the smaller Littke Guy teardrops, and yes people do full time in them), or look for the Class B or C camper's.  There are so many other discussions on here about undersized tow vehicles that you can spend hours reading. 

Good luck 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I agree with everything Verna said, plus I'm not convinced you will be able to tow it (or at least you won't be very happy when you do). My experience towing a lighter trailer with a 3000+lb rated 4-cylinder pickup convinced me those tow ratings are optimistic at best.

Do you love the Camry as much as your T@B dream? Maybe trade it in for something more substantial?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    As others have commented, I too don't believe a Camry would be a good TV for a T@B.  The 2000 pound capacity is listed as for a properly equipped Camry, meaning that it would have upgraded engine and transmission specs as well.

Also of concern would be insurance and liability, as your insurance provider may say you are out of spec and not cover you were you to get into an accident.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    MaryGMaryG Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, T@b Masters. You are pointing me in the right (safe) direction. -- Mary G.