Options

Any tips or hints to installing the XL visor?

Just spent an hour working on attaching the XL visor and it's less than 1/4 of the way onto the rail. It arrived a few days ago, I've read the instructions and they say one or two people can set it up in 5 minutes! Well, not this person. Anyone have any tips or hints? The cord just isn't moving along the rail. I'm a little lacking in upper body strength it seems.
Elaine ~ 2013 T@b U, aka Lei-la. TV 2010 GMC Terrain

Comments

• Options
    Torres2906tabTorres2906tab Member Posts: 37
    Thought I'd share what I have learned through the arduous process of attaching the XL visor. First, if there is a black strip of plastic in the rail, it's purpose is unknown except to drive newbies like me insane trying to attach the visor with it in there. My first clue that my visor was a lemon was noticing a gap of no stitching where the nylon attaches to the white cord. Second clue was no cap on one end of f the pole. Scratched the red trim on the trailer trying to get the pole end into the "slit" of the nylon. There was no way the pole was going into that slit. After multiple attempts and then hopping over to the yahoo group, I learned that others have had similar issues with the pole being too long. This morning I cut a 2-inch section of the pole off and tried again. Still too long. Cut another about 2 inch section off, wrapped the cut end in duct tape and with a lot of effort got the pole end into the slit. A very frustrating experience......I'll be calling tomorrow and asking for a replacement visor and pole as well as making the suggestion that they place a pocket for the pole end instead of a slit. As for this scratches on the trim from the uncapped end, I don't know what to do. Attaching a pic of how much of the pole I ended up cutting off to get it to fit in the visor.
  • Options
    RetAFRetAF Member Posts: 13
    Did they respond favorably to your request visor and pole?  Based on what you've said in your post, I don't think we'll be getting a T@B visor even with us wanting one bad for our new T@B.
  • Options
    Torres2906tabTorres2906tab Member Posts: 37
    RetAF - Since it's Sunday, I'm going to call tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what kind of response I get. Based on others experiences, I expect they will make this right. I truly think mine was just a lemon, others have had absolutely no issues with theirs. Still, I am not happy about the 3 hours spent on it this weekend. I'll be keeping this one until a replacement arrives.....it was a long time from order to receipt but it is what it is.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Hi Elaine.  The black trim that is in the rail should be removed, it is for decoration only and will not effect the trailer.  The corded end of the visor should easily slide right in then.

Pahaque will help you out with the visor, it does sound like it is defective with the poles and the missing stitching.  The poles do hold the visor very tightly, and take a little wrangling to get them in place, but there is a pocket on the inside end of the slit that the ends of the pole should back into.  I have found that I can put mine up in about five minutes by myself by first sliding the visor onto the rail and then sliding the pole into place, linking the separate lengths as I go.  The biggest struggle is the last inch or so getting the pole in so that it will back into the pocket.

For the scratches, contact Little Guy and they should be able to provide you with touch up paint (my dealer gave me a bottle with the sale, again, Miler Trailer is awesome).

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    JustjudyJustjudy Member Posts: 75
    We bought the XL and put it up with very little effort. It took a little wrangling because it was a little breezy. We left it on long enough to rake a couple of photos and took it down.
    Larry and Judy. 2015 T@B S M@xx. Silver with black trim. Bell@. Towed by a 2005 Toyota Tacoma.
  • Options
    RondoRondo Member Posts: 2
    I've dealt with Pahaque and found them to be very good.  I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them.  I've bought 3 items from them over the past year.  
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    We have the standard visor and it fits great. I am going to sell it separately from the T@B. 
    I set up the computer outside on as table and played and replayed the video from PahaQue on how to set it up. 
    The bigger scene was watching put up the 12' x 12' Cottonwood by myself. It took 2 tall garbage cans and 4 camp chairs for assistance. 
    I did it!
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    moniraqmoniraq Member Posts: 46
    I had the same issue getting the end of the pole into the pocket. I didn't have an issue feeding it into the rail but my pole was missing one endcap and I scratched up my new T@B also until I realized what had happened. I finally, after much exertion, managed to get it into that tiny pocket (really more of a slit) and was fine until I had to take it down. It took much exertion and a pulled-back thumb nail to finally get the pole out of the pocket. If I have the same trouble next time, I'm going to do a little knife work on that pocket. I don't see any other way around it. I don't want to cut the pole because I think it's important for the pole tension to keep the visor "rigid".

Someone on the Yahoo group suggested putting the pole in first, then feeding it into the railing. I'm going to try that the next time I take the T@Z out.
    Monica (aka GlobeDiva)
    2014 T@b Max "Q"
    TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
  • Options
    briananthonybriananthony Member Posts: 1
    Just for everyone's benefit, the black strip in the keder rail should not be thrown away. It should be re-attached when not using the visor as it will cover the screw heads and prevent any moisture getting into the wall of the trailer.
  • Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    Contrary to the instructions, I feed the visor (standard size, not XL) about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way into the keder rail, stop and insert the pole, and then feed it the rest of the way and position it. That gives me more room to maneuver the pole in.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    Just for everyone's benefit, the black strip in the keder rail should not be thrown away. It should be re-attached when not using the visor as it will cover the screw heads and prevent any moisture getting into the wall of the trailer.
    That's good to know because I've heard from other sites that it's not needed.
    Monica (aka GlobeDiva)
    2014 T@b Max "Q"
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I second inserting about 2/3 of way into the keder rail and inserting the pole.  I would caution that, though they don't indicate that you need to stake the visor, I was in strong winds that blew the visor over the tab.   I put the cord into the keder rail on the bottom, but also stake out the cord (even with the visor cord) for greater stability when it is windy.  This made the visor much more stable  in higher winds.  
  • Options
    Greg_BGreg_B Member Posts: 4
    I bought the XL Visor and did struggle getting the pole into the end-pocket slit.  I almost cut the pole, but decided to try shoehorning it into the pocket before resorting to cutting it.  I used a teaspoon and it worked really well.  It helps getting it out of the pocket too.   I scratched the trim for the handle too, while inserting the pole into the keder rail.  Not a big deal but I'd suggest putting a strip of Gorilla tape or duct tape over the trim while you install the visor, at least the first time or two until you get the hang of it.  I love the visor and just ordered the regular sized one for the non-door side, for use in hot conditions.  Keder rails on both sides, so I think it will work!
    2014 TabQ
    TV: 2004 Toyota Tacoma V6
  • Options
    "but decided to try shoehorning it into the pocket before resorting to cutting it."

Smart!!! Why didn't I think of that?
    Monica (aka GlobeDiva)
    2014 T@b Max "Q"
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I don't stake my XL, but I do tie it off to the grab handles and it seemed to hold up well in high winds in Colorado.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I don't have the XL, but have had no issues getting the Visor in place.  It goes on quickly, and so I use it almost every trip.  I don't insert the back end of the pole into the pocket, but just place the end of the pole on the awning rail.  It's a tight fit and so doesn't move.  I found it comes down easier by removing the Visor and then removing the pole.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    The black strips also keep road grime and debris out of the channels.
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx