Options

Dual GC Battery setup is Awesome :)

First I wanted to say thanks to JKJENN for posting the info and NORMFUN for answering questions on the DUAL GC BATTERY SETUP. We did a basic dual GC battery setup with Interstate 208aH batteries on our 2014 T@B-CS, just batteries no cut-off switch or solar panel yet. We spent 7 nights running off just the batteries and were pretty impressed. Our battery voltage the first night was 12.75 volts and it was still at 12.34 volts at the end of the trip. We camped in a home-built teardrop for a few years so we are pretty miserly with power, your results may vary. After this little test I think it's safe to say we will have no trouble camping on battery power alone for a 3-4 day trip. We're still looking at buying a small 100+ watt solar panel in the future. Here's a better idea of how I tested and while not very scientific, it may give you some ideas.

1. I left ALL the fuses installed so we had the parisitic drain going on the whole time.
2. We didn't use the fridge as it's a power hog on battery. It was set to 0. 
3. We used the reading lights for 1-2 hours per night to change clothes and read
4. We'd run the fan on low for 1-2 hours to cool the trailer down at night.
5. Adle heat set to midway between 2 & 3 on propane.
6. We did not use the TV or Entertainment System at all this trip as we spent most of our time enjoying the outdoors or visiting friends.
Patrick

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Good info, thanks PSBreen!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Any estimate on the cost to do this setup?
  • Options
    PSBreenPSBreen Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2016
    It cost me about $315 but you can save a bit if you shop around.  Do an internet search for "Solar for Long Term Boondocking". JKJenn wrote it and it has a link to her dual battery setup with part numbers and sources in the "show more" section . I went basic with just batteries, box, cable and angle iron. I used Interstate GC batteries available at Costco instead of the Trojans. Hope this helps.
    Patrick
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ya, I followed Jenn's but never added it up.
  • Options
    PSBreenPSBreen Member Posts: 13
    The Trojan T-105's are said to be great batteries. You can add another $100-S120 for the Trojan's . For me the cost wasn't worth the extra 17 aH.
    Patrick
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    edited July 2016

Our Trojan T105s were $121.00 each with cores or $151.00 each without cores. The battery box was another $69.00 off eBay. We were able to shift all the wiring from the OB tub and Zamp port to the battery except for a splice in the + Zamp cable to extend it a few inches.

'17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Very nice setup, Gnomies!! That Outback shelving must be able to handle quite a bit of poundage. Looks good!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @Ratkity, We've never seen a weight limit listed anywhere. Has anyone ever seen hard data on this? If it can hold Mr. Gnome (he has to stand on it to reach the window), it can hold a couple of batteries.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Nope Gnomies, never seen a weight limit listed for the shelves. I'd call the factory and ask. My sis' Outback ones seem very tough.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Nice job!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Welcome to the dual GC battery club!

Now you just need to find ways of actually draining them more than 10% each day to prove the investment's worth!  I've gone 2 nights with the CS's 12v fridge running and can't seem to get them to drop below 60%, and that's watching 2 movies and charging our phones, running all lights, fan, etc.  If you have a propane fridge you'll last a week!!
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @PSBreen I would also like to do this mod in the future when I'm ready for boondocking. Did you use the standard tub for your batteries or use an outside container like the others. What mods did you have to make to get the GC batteries to fit? I do have the outside platform, so I could use that if necessary, but it would be nice to use the tub if I could get everything to fit.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    I would LOVE to join the dual GC battery club. Could someone who installed in a standard tub please share how you did it? 
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Runtarooti, seriously, there are many write-ups and photos of our golf cart battery installations already on the forum. Do a search for golf cart and you'll get a list of the threads. By reading the threads you'll find lots of info and yes, some have used the existing tub and most have included photos. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    Thank you Verna! I did my best to search and found  @cbarnhill setup which is fabulous, but the picture doesn't show what was modified beneath to the support frame. Because I don't weld, I was hoping to get a diagram from someone so I could show it to a local welder. I know from reading the threads this mod is easy peasy on an Outback tub, but I think and would like to confirm the support frame needs to be modded on the standard tub. 
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Another great install @hymie !

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Runtarooti, I believe CBarnill ( Cindy) doesn't exactly know what was modified as she wasn't there for the mod. I know that if you put the batteries as hers are, there will need to be some extra support installed. I had a local welder make mods to my diamond plate tub, but PitPat and Michigan_Mike didn't make mods to their tubs. So, if you can get an opinion from a local welder, they should be able to weld exactly what you need. (Get the opinion and price, buy the batteries, so the welder can make sure the batteries fit as he/she expects.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    @wizard1880 This is most likely to be the best use of money and time that I will ever spend on the t@b. We do have a propane fridge. The limiting factor for us now will be grey/black water. This is great as we plan on boondocking frequently. Also have solar in mind for later this year.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback