Options

What the heck is that little tank for?

You know the little door that's right behind the toilet? I opened it and peered into it today. There's a tiny little tank in it that looks empty right now and has a little overflow hose coming out of it. What the heck is it? Reminds me of the little overflow tank next to a radiator.
Gainesville, FL

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Sounds like your Alde fluid expansion tank. It should have Alde glycol up to the 'minimum' line.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep - As ChanW says - Dat be it.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    It may have fluid in it. Put a flashlight behind it to check the fluid level. Several people have overfilled it thinking it was empty.  The Alde fluid is a light-colored green that is a little hard to see through the plastic.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Should be a little above the Min line - the manual says how much.

Question - when the Alde tank is behind that door, where do they put the water pump?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    WildRumpus, What year & model is your trailer? Thanks
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
         Chan W-    If it is the Alde tank, it MUST be filled with glycol for the system to heat.   Make sure its filled to proper level or the heat will not work properly.

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    WildRumpusWildRumpus Member Posts: 42
    OK, it's the Alde fluid tank. That would explain the green liquid that seems to always appear on my driver's side stabilizer.  I haven't used the heat yet on my 2016 CS-S since I've only owned it in the summer months.  Is it normal for a little overflow to drip on the stabilizer like that?
    Gainesville, FL
  • Options
    No - It might if the overflow tank is too full though.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The Alde also supplies hot water, so if you use hot water, the Alde has to heat up, which would heat up the glycol. (Or at least that makes sense to me.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sure about that Verna - Thought the glycol was just for heat and for hot water the Alde heat that directly.
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    The glycol solution within the Alde is heated when you turn on the hot water. The difference between heating water only and running the "heat" is that the pump that moves the glycol solution to the radiators comes on when you turn on "heat." So there would be some expansion within the glycol system when you heat the water.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander