Options

Advice driving mountains

baclawsonbaclawson Member Posts: 17
I have a T@B 2017 Max S and my TV is a 2013  Subaru Outback. I'm tentative about crossing the cascades. Afraid of downhill. Any tips?  Thank you. 

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    baclawson, Do you have a brake controller on your 2013 Subaru Outback? If so, you can adjust it to be a little more aggressive for going downhill to assist in the braking of your tow vehicle.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep, need to rely on the T@B brakes. Alot depends on how steep and for how long. One nice thing about the Allstays app is it shows road grades - you can click on the grade symbol and it will tell you the steepness and length. 6% is kind of the standard mtn freeway grade. As they go up, the steeper they get. If they are short runs, ok. Long ones can be a problem. 10% I avoid at all cost. Did one once and won't do it again.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Brake well before the turns and you'll be fine.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Thank you.  Yes, I have a brake controller.  I currently have it set at maybe the mid way point.  On a mountain descend, how high should I go? 
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Downshift and use your engine compression to slow down and maintain your descent speed, use your brakes sparingly.  Gas engines have great compression, diesels use an exhaust brake to create the compression for slowing.  Select your gear with your automatic transmission, or manual transmission put in the proper gear without redlining.  Most of the new models cars, with automatics will not let you select the gear, if it will redline the engine.  If you are ever in Ouray, Colorado, you will really smell the brakes burning up when they come into town from the mountains,
  • Options
    Checked out a few of the cvt transmission sites and they recommend downshifting, the same as a standard automatic transmission.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Yes to all the above, and take it easy on the brakes. To answer your question baclawson, adjust the brake controller slowly, and you should be able to feel the difference in the drag the trailer is supplying. Just take it easy, and you'll be fine. I'm going over Sherman Pass next week, so I'll be in the same boat as you, only slightly worse. Long downhill grade going in to Republic! Fortunately I'm driving a Chevy Avalanche which is quite a bit heavier than your Subaru. Will still use a little heavier brake for the grade though. Just don't try to be too aggressive with the controller and lock the trailer brakes. Easy does it works best if you are unsure! Oh, and like jdargis said, down shifting helps a lot too!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
  • Options
    On my manual tranny Jeep, 4th gear on a 6% grade will maintain 55 mph with no braking. On 9%, even in 3rd gear I have to brake. On a 10%, it took a lot of braking even in second gear - luckily it was only a mile long.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    My new Grand Cherokee does a nicer job of downshifting without going into to manual mode.

One thing I have noticed is that you really want to keep your speeds down or you will experience sway.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Have never gotten sway with the Wrangler.
  • Options
    Neither have I, got any sway with our 2 or 4 door Wrangler.  This is with passing some vehicles up to 80 mph.  I generally always drive at 60 mph.  Jenn, did you get sway with your Wrangler?  The reason I ask, if we get a bigger trailer, the Grand Cherokee is the vehicle we were looking at, to go with the higher tongue and towing capacity.  I realize, it will have a load leveler hitch and sway bar.  Just a little concerned, because never had a problem with T@B towing and being a smaller trailer.
  • Options
    SubismSubism Member Posts: 38
    baclawson - I put the CVT in manual mode on my Outback and rarely ever have to hit the brakes on long descents. Up to 6% I usually only need to go down to 4th gear and can maintain 55 mph with very little braking. Anything above that and I shift into 3rd. I have never felt the trailer was pushing or swaying.
    Marc and Angie in Burlington, NC. 2018 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 320 S Max
  • Options
    Thanks all.  I think I need to familiarize myself with the manual mode on my Outback.  I've never used.