Options

Bike inside tab?

Has anyone ever traveled with their bike inside the tab? Maybe on the bed strapped down or something.... Is that safe or is this a silly question?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    If I recall correctly - and it's possible I'm not - someone put a couple hooks in the two side bench bases and securly bungie-corded their bike inside.
  • Options
    Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    IInteresting question, it would be cool if it's possible. I'm going to set back and see what folks thing as I don't have my unit yet to try it. 
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited July 2016
    A non-folding bike would totally fit inside a t@b half on the bed, half in the floor, sorta diagonally, especially if you do not travel with the big table. I would wrap it in plastic or tarp with bungees to keep things around it clean. I have a folding bike that easily travels in the space where the table goes. It lives folded in a big duffle bag. 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I'm contemplating putting a fork holder mount like you use in a pickup bed, to hold the bikes in the spot where the table goes.  Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-BlockHead-Bike-Mount/dp/B002IAFCVW 

I already have 2 bike racks on the back of the T@B, but would like to carry our road bikes inside when we need to take all 4 bikes.  I haven't decided on how to mount them,  it would be nice to make them "quick release", so they aren't in the way.  But it may be that they don't get in the way,  much like the bed rails don't get in the way.

I don't think you'd need to do anything else to secure the back wheel,  friction on the floor would probably keep it from moving around much.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Thinking on this still...I "think" most bikes would make it through the door.  The door part just occurred to me.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    LandoLando Member Posts: 8
    @db_coper. I was looking at those fork mounts and was thinking that could be pretty slick.  I wonder if anyone has a mod?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Lando said:
    @db_coper. I was looking at those fork mounts and was thinking that could be pretty slick.  I wonder if anyone has a mod?
    I used to use the fork mount in the rear of my mini van. I screwed it to a piece of plywood that fit tightly across the van, took the tire off and it held the bike steady between the seats. I laid the front tire on the the floor behind the seats. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ethelouiseethelouise Member Posts: 32
    I have a folding bike that easily travels in the space where the table goes. It lives folded in a big duffle bag. 
    We are considering folding bikes.  What kind of folding bike do you have?  Would you recommend it?  Do you have any other folding bike recommendations?  Thanks.
    Margaret, Lynn and D@isy M@y
    2017 S Max
    2016 Subaru Outback
  • Options

Schwinn from Amazon. Search Amazon for folding bikes and it's still there. 7 speeds, get the comfy seat, and it rides and stores well.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ZTabZTab Member Posts: 18
    I just spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to take our two bikes along. Can't use the Swagman that reduces tow weight because we tow with a Subaru Outback. Can't put on roof because I'm 5'2". Tried a bike rack on back of TV and the bikes hung right into the crank tower. Then...tried inside the Tab and realized it blocked access to the toilet and the refrigerator while en route. Putting one bike up on the folded down rear seat worked for one bike but not for two, plus it was a hassle getting them in there and not scratching the wood anywhere. Finally, I ordered folding bikes but they haven't arrived yet. Two weeks until big trip to Glacier!
    McKinleyville, CA  T@b S Max Subaru Outback  "Poppy"
  • Options
    ethelouiseethelouise Member Posts: 32
    ZTab said:
    Finally, I ordered folding bikes but they haven't arrived yet. Two weeks until big trip to Glacier!
    Please report on your experience with the folding bikes after your big trip.  Thanks!
    Margaret, Lynn and D@isy M@y
    2017 S Max
    2016 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    I have carried three mountain bikes inside our T@b, with lots of cushions and padding around to ensure a tight fit and no movement or bouncing. Worked beautifully. I put all three inside a motorcycle cover inverted, to keep things clean as well. 
  • Options
    catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    we started out this summer carrying two full size cruiser bikes in the back of our truck laying down under the tonneau.  Along the way, we moved them into the T@B laying on the bed (we keep the bed down 99% of the time).  We recycled the canvas from our old pop-up awning to wrap the bikes in....while not the glamping cool factor, it really is practical and easy for us.
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
    2014 T@B Q Max, 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    What is the downside to just putting them on a bike rack like on the Outback model?
    Hitch is also an option, and here is what I have on order, so I can tow trailer, carry bikes, and then carry bikes with hitch on without trailer. 
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Dereco said:
    What is the downside to just putting them on a bike rack like on the Outback model?
    Hitch is also an option, and here is what I have on order, so I can tow trailer, carry bikes, and then carry bikes with hitch on without trailer. 
    That looks interesting, haven't seen that before. Would like to hear how stable and secure it turns out to be. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2016
    This is the safest way to haul a bike on the T@B units in my opinion.  Or at least something along these lines and between the TV and trailer.   

Attached Image
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited July 2016
    Sis put her bikes on with a Thule bike rack on either side of the Yakima rack. The front tires are kept in the TV. They have light weight bikes and did not go beyond the 70 lb limit. They have not had sway (because of additional weight on the back), but use the sway bar supplied by dealer. They claim there is no extra bounce due to the bikes as well.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Kates_MobyKates_Moby Member Posts: 38
    We travel with two adult bikes inside regularly. We put down the table, cover cushions with heavy blanket.  Put one bike in.  Cover it with another blanket. Add 2nd bike.  Make sure all parts of the bike are covered so they cannot touch the walls or cushions. One bike faces the front and other bike faces the back.  Works great. 
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    edited July 2016
    This is the safest way to haul a bike on the T@B units in my opinion.  Or at least something along these lines and between the TV and trailer.   

Attached Image

Mike, I have no trouble lifting my bike onto a regular bike rack on the back of my jeep, but I am pretty for sure I could not lift it up as high as I would need to get it up on one of these.  Any ladies have a rack like this and have trouble doing that?
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    @jbug10, if it were me, I would have a step ready to step onto the tongue and then I could lift the bike up to this rack. As long as it wasn't one of the bikes with those big fat tires ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    @jbug10, if it were me, I would have a step ready to step onto the tongue and then I could lift the bike up to this rack. As long as it wasn't one of the bikes with those big fat tires ;)
    Verna, that would be an idea and I have a folding step that I use to get my kayak on top of my jeep.  I bought a new jeep and can no longer carry my bike on the back spare tire.   I am thinking about getting a folding bike and carry it inside Tab.  When I am traveling with Tab I really only use my bike around the campground.  Some are very hilly so will get one with at least 6 gears.  I saw the picture of yours, how do you like it?  My regular bike has 26" wheels, but most of the folding bikes are 20"  Just wondering about the comfort. 

• Options
    jbug10 said:
    Verna said:
    Verna, that would be an idea and I have a folding step that I use to get my kayak on top of my jeep.  I bought a new jeep and can no longer carry my bike on the back spare tire.   I am thinking about getting a folding bike and carry it inside Tab.  When I am traveling with Tab I really only use my bike around the campground.  Some are very hilly so will get one with at least 6 gears.  I saw the picture of yours, how do you like it?  My regular bike has 26" wheels, but most of the folding bikes are 20"  Just wondering about the comfort. 

I highly recommend the "comfort seat". It is very comfortable, the bike puts me closer to the ground, and the 7 gears seem to be the equivilent of all of the ones I used the most on my 21 speed and the former 27 speed. I can ride around the campground or the neighborhood at home with no problem. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna, is the comfort seat a type of Schwinn bike or are you just recommending a comfort seat?   I do love a comfortable seat. :)
  • Options
    June, when I ordered mine on Amazon, the "comfort seat" was one of the recommended additions. It's wider, more cushioned than the non-cushioned thin seat that came with the bike. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options

OK thanks!