Options

Need some new camper input

Hey guys, first off this is my inaugural post on here so be easy on me. My wife and I are in our mid 40's and have been camping off and on for 15 years. At the top of our bucket list is to see all 50 states and so far we have hit 34 of them. We are getting to the period where our backs are getting tired of the tent and air mattress and looking for our first camper. We have a 2013 Nissan Rogue as our tow vehicle so thats why we are looking at the T@G or T@B. We loved the T@G or 5 wide but my wife was wondering where she will change clothes in it or hang clothes for that matter. We also looked at the T@B with the CS floor plan just because I like the idea of the kitchen outside(It feels more like camping).As this will be our first camper purchase I want to get the right one for us and not regret it later. I really need some input on this.Thanks in advance and I cant wait to hit the road.
Thomas & Michelle - Nashville, TN

Comments

• Options
    moniraqmoniraq Member Posts: 46
    I've only had my T@B for a short time and I can tell you I love it! I looked at the T@G's but I'm beyond the age where I want to bend down and crawl into something to go to sleep at night, no matter how comfortable it might be. That is the main reason I gave up tent camping. I don't mind the setting up and breaking down part, so something a bit larger than the T@G was fine for me. I appreciate the fact that I can keep almost everything I need in my trailer and I don't worry about how I'm going to get dressed. I also like the fact that I can set up a portable potty for use at night instead of having to trek to the bathroom.

I also looked at the clamshell but decided to go with a "Q" floor plan mainly because it gives me the option to cook and grill outdoors when I want to (with my propane stove) but to able to cook inside if the weather turns on me.

Either way, I think you'll enjoy your purchase and you'll love being able to sleep more comfortably.
    Monica (aka GlobeDiva)
    2014 T@b Max "Q"
    TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
  • Options
    SunnyTABSunnyTAB Member Posts: 65

Sounds like the T@B would be a good choice for you guys. We tow with a Ford Escape which has a towing capacity of 3500 with the tow package. I think it's been advised that you shouldn't tow a T@B with less than that so be sure to double check that number (I quickly peeked, and it said 1000 for a Rogue). That said, we met a guy towing with a modified Corvette so totally your call.

We have a clamshell and since we don't have heating or cooling we'll mostly be camping in weather where we can cook outside. I've talked to a lot of folks who've never used their inside stovetops, but I do miss the indoor counter space.

We bought ours used, and I currently know of two more used T@Bs on the market. Unfortunately, they are not clamshells, but I would totally go the used route again. We feel like our investment was low for something we wanted to take a gamble on. Good luck and have fun planning.

Tiff in Seattle

2012 BMW x3/2008 TCS "Sunny"

• Options
    BryanRBryanR Member Posts: 32
    If you are within a day trip I would recommend visiting a dealer that has the different models in stock. We originally thought we wanted a S model but after seeing the Clamshell- S in person we changed our mind.
    Bryan & Vicki 2014 T@B CS-S MaXX ** 2016 Chevy Silverado Double Cab
    Transplanted Hoosier in Richmond, VA
    Go Colts!

• Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    ThomasMc
    We have a 2014 T@B Clamshell CS for sale. We live 2 hours south of Nashville. Come on down this weekend and we will give you the tour. Our ad is posted on this forum with pics. You can send me a message or call 256-443-4655. I think you will love the T@B. 
    Belva 
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
    We purchased an S model, because even though we plan to do most of our cooking outside we thought that when traveling (which we hope to do when we retire next year) we believe that it will be nice to have the option to heat up something indoors.

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I just finished 10,000 mile trip with an 06 tab (model Q) and absolutely appreciated having an indoor kitchen area for inclement weather.  Brought a two burner stove for days when the sky was clear, but could cook and eat  in comfort when it was raining.   The king bed was great (particularly after about a month on the road, it felt like a luxury to sprawl out at night).  
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Here's my take... it's all about options, and what you want to do. I like to cook outside (which I do with my Fold N Go hooked up to the front large propane tank), but when the weather is really nasty (or I feel like staying inside), my indoor galley has a stove, microwave, toaster and coffee pot ready to make it happen. I originally wanted a clamshell, but realized that I liked the seating arrangements and use of space better in the S than I felt I would use that front bench seat. Lots of happy CSers on here, and I'm thrilled with the S... I could be happy with either!
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    SunnyTABSunnyTAB Member Posts: 65
    Oh Belva - totally forgot about your unit. That's a great suggestion!

Tiff in Seattle

2012 BMW x3/2008 TCS "Sunny"

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Thomas & Michelle - I am new T@b owner. Here is what I bought:

garden hose for the Flush King elbow.

I have not had to use the organic tank treatment,  but I am very happy with the other choices I made for dealing with sewer and waterf.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TaBmaybeTaBmaybe Member Posts: 3
    how to charge marine battery while in route.---does on/off switch have to be flipped to on while going in order to charge.  and if so does that put extra hardship on cars' alternator ( car is subaru outback)---karen o
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited August 2014
    Karen, I just read your post concerning your concerns about pulling your T@B, so you obviously already have a T@B. I, nor anyone else here, would be able to give you a definite answer on which way to turn your switch in order to charge your battery while in route--we didn't install it and some people have been known to install the switches backwards. If you have a battery monitor plugged into one of your 12V outlets, you would be able to monitor if your battery is being charged by the tow vehicle. To the best of my knowledge, there is no harm done to your alternator on your tow vehicle. Many of us do charge from our tow vehicle and I do not recall anyone who has had issues with their alternators.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”