Options

Quirky USB issue

We discovered this weekend that the USB outlets in our kitchen will not charge our iPhones. When we plug them in the phone buzzes like normal when you connect the phone to a charging source, and the lightning bolt icon comes on to indicate it's charging. But my iPhone 6 did not charge at all, and DH's iPhone 4S not only did not charge, but actually discharged because it would periodically wake up to beep in complaint. No error messages of any kind, like you sometimes get when using a non-Apple brand accessory.

I put a USB adapter in the adjacent 12v socket and that charges the phone fine. We were also able to charge both phones from the USB outlets behind the sofa.

I'd think that if the USB outlets were just plain dead that the phone wouldn't see them at all. Ideas? Would rather address this myself if possible rather than taking it to the dealer.
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    That's weird... You could call Ed and have him send you a new outlet - Mine was totally dead. It was very easy to replace.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    PXLated said:
    That's weird... You could call Ed and have him send you a new outlet - Mine was totally dead. It was very easy to replace.
    Did you need to pull the Jensen or does it pop out from the front
  • Options
    Ahhhh - Forgot about the Jensen, I don't have one. I did mine from within the cabinet I have but I think you could do it thru the hole the outlet fills. Pop the outlet cover off and I think that will expose the screws and you can then drop the outlet, disconnect the wires and plug in the new one. Then just reinstall. At least I would imagine you can do that. Since I had access, I installed and then wired.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Maybe the output rate on the USB charging port isn't rated for the high amperage that the iPhone requires.

My Samsung phone requires the high output 2.1A USB charger, and won't charge properly when using the older standard, the lower amperage 600mA or 1.2A chargers. This is true especially if the phone is turned ON, and especially if the phone is continually searching for a stronger 4G-LTE signal.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I initially thought it might be something like that but the one in the kitchen is at least visually identical to the one they installed behind the sofa. When I can I will pull it out and see if there are any markings that might indicate that. 

I I have a list of at least 15 things we need to buy/make/do before our road trip next week. 
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Ours charged fine this past week on both the galley outlet and bedside outlet. iPhones 5s & 5c.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    Yep, my iDevices charge just fine from there also one I replaced the outlet.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I just had to have the one in the galley replaced also. 2016 S Max The cigar lighter port worked, but the USB port did not on either port.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    I just had to have the one in the galley replaced also. 2016 S Max The cigar lighter port worked, but the USB port did not on either port.
    Did your dealer replace it? Not sure I trust mine with wiring...
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Yes, the dealer replaced mine under warranty. It seemed pretty straight forward, and only took them about 15 minutes to replace. My dealer is one I trust and have used for about 10 years. I hope your experience is a pleasant one, and good luck.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Photomom - Drop the outlet down and take a look at the wiring - As I recall, there's just four wires and two just unplug and plug into the new one - the other two may be the same but at most there's just those two to reconnect with a twisty connector - don't get much easier than that.
  • Options
    Yep, it is hanging down at the moment and all wires appear to be connected. Shooting off an email to Ed - hopefully he will just send me one...
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Photomom said:
    Yep, it is hanging down at the moment and all wires appear to be connected. Shooting off an email to Ed - hopefully he will just send me one...
    Mine wasn't working either and all appeared "good" when I dropped the wires down - but when I wiggled the red one (while I had iTouch plugged in), the connection came on and would go off when I moved the wire. I found those blue splice connectors and replaced the one to the red wire - now it works.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    RVABuffRVABuff Member Posts: 15
    My USB ports also died on my 2015 T@B.  Found an exact replacement outlet on Amazon.  No need to do any wiring, simple process of unplugging 4 connectors off the old and on to the new.  
    2015 T@B M@X-S, 2017 Ford F150 2.7L V6 Turbo
    Chesterfield, VA
  • Options
    Emailed Ed on Monday, got a new charging center in the mail today! Awesome service!  =) Just need to find a few minutes to hook it up!