Options

the right trailer jack

jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
edited July 2016 in Trailer & Towing

Searched forum but could not find answer to this question.  I need to get a new tongue jack for my 2013 Tab.  I have researched online and decided the kind I need is an A-Frame trailer jack with wheel for at least 2000lbs.  Can anyone more knowledgeable than I confirm that this is the correct one I need before I order?  This one retracts to 20 inches, but they have one that retracts to 24 inches.  Just not sure.  Please see link. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GUBH2BC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1LKXQN6SHB5YQ

June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike

Comments

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Just a couple of observations on the jack.  If it were me, I'd prefer one where the handle operates in front instead of on top.  The top handle one might limit what you could place behind it if you decide to mount something there some day.  The description also mentions that although the jack is rated at 2,000 lbs., the wheel on this jack is limited to 1,200 lbs.  Sorry, I don't have another recommendation, but you might take a look at etrailer.com.  

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Thank you Larry.  You make a good point on the placement of the handle as well as the wheel limitations.  Good job noticing that; I missed it reading on it earlier.  The fact that it only retracts to 20" concerns me as well. I measured the one that is on Tab currently, and it's about 16 inches.  Will keep looking.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I believe, but am not sure, that my 2016 came with a BAL 29025 tongue jack. http://norcoind.com/bal/products/consumer/tongue_jacks/tongue_jacks.shtml
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    jbug10 said:
    Thank you Larry.  You make a good point on the placement of the handle as well as the wheel limitations.  Good job noticing that; I missed it reading on it earlier.  The fact that it only retracts to 20" concerns me as well. I measured the one that is on Tab currently, and it's about 16 inches.  Will keep looking.
    Some people use the wheel to reposition the T@B after parking, but since I have never done that, I took my wheel off and replaced it with a foot.  This gives me more clearance.  I also cut about two inches off the bottom of the jack.  That can be a lot of work without the right tools.  I used a hacksaw, which took a lot of work and the cut was not perfectly even.  I also had to drill another hole for the pin.  I have good clearance now but am without the wheel, although I can put it on if needed.  Below is what the foot looks like.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options

Thanks photomom and Larry.  From what I read on etrailer, the tongue weight is 15 to 20% of the trailer weight so a caster wheel that is only 1000 lbs should work.  To make sure I will be calling etrailer and get their opinion.  Photomom, the Bal 29025 looks like the one I currently have on Tab.  The reason why I need to replace the jack is because the holes on the jack that the caster wheel pin fits through have stretched out to an oval shape causing the wheel to be very tilted and unstable.  I got a wheel chock for the caster wheel to sit in thinking that would stabilize it, but it has not helped.  It is going to not last much longer and I am planning a two week trip soon. 

• Options
    We haven't used the caster wheel since the first week. I had to dig a hole in the campsite for the wheel in order to level the camper. We just use a block of wood under the post that comes down. We carry it in the car in case we need it but haven't yet. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Photomom, I've used the "foot" shown above since last fall and have been very happy with it. It's nice on sand, concrete, asphalt, and grass. You can even budge it just a bit when your back-up camera deceives you  ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @RZRBUG, where did you get the foot?
  • Options

Trailer led jack foot plate on Amazon
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    You can just leave that on all the time, right?
  • Options
    Photomom, it has been on since the day I received it. You can crank it all the way up for travel. If you hit the road with this foot plate, you've got bigger problems that that ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I did read in one review that a dude drilled a couple of drainage holes in it and that sounds like a good idea. I noticed that the cup of my caster wheel was already rusty inside. 

Just when I think I have everything I could possibly need or want for the T@B...
  • Options
    Yes, I received a box from Elsie on Friday!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    I did read in one review that a dude drilled a couple of drainage holes in it and that sounds like a good idea. I noticed that the cup of my caster wheel was already rusty inside. 

Just when I think I have everything I could possibly need or want for the T@B...
    The holes might be a good idea because it will collect water, although I have not had any rust problems yet.  Come to think of it, I haven't taken the foot off to check the bottom of the jack.  Could possibly be rust there I guess.

I think I ordered mine from etrailer, but you can get them from a lot of places.  I even saw some in the local farm supply store in their trailer section.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    So you guys must not move your Tabs much after you unhitch?  I don't much at all but it is nice to be able to reposition it every once in awhile when hooking up.  Etrailer emailed back and said the Atwood 273400 with the caster wheel or foot will work fine with Tab.  Has good reviews.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The foot I have is stainless steel then or coated because of all the rust issues I have in my camper tongue area, that's not one that is showing any signs of it.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jbug10 said:
    So you guys must not move your Tabs much after you unhitch?  I don't much at all but it is nice to be able to reposition it every once in awhile when hooking up.  Etrailer emailed back and said the Atwood 273400 with the caster wheel or foot will work fine with Tab.  Has good reviews.
    I rarely park on a surface that is conducive to allow moving. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    Good reading in this thread - @jbug10 which one did you go with and how's it working out?

As I've said before - not knowing any better - one of the reasons we were excited about buying a Tab was to be able to move it around and position it to meet our needs. At our first "several nighter" at a side-by-side park on hard packed gravel we quickly found out it was not easy and ended up going back and forth with the TV to get the right angle for privacy and a better view of the water etc. This has been a source of much frustration for us and sadly we have given up on the wheel and use the post on a block of wood.

SO... there's got to be a way to figure this out - an obvious solution would be for the wheel to have an inflated tire. Doesn't have to be a lot larger or taller than the existing hard plastic one but fatter for sure. Has anyone done anything like this or found where to buy a replacement wheel or jack that comes with an "off road" tire for lack of a better name?
  • Options
    There are motorized trailer movers with big tires that would work on packed gravel, but not sand or loose gravel. Be aware, they are pricey - expect $500 for a good one. They also don't work well up grades much greater than 1%
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    We are carrying both the wheel and the foot.  If I find I can't level with the wheel on I will replace it with the foot.  I might also use the foot on softer ground but I have extra pads for that.  I like the wheel because on a gravel site you can spin the trailer to improve your view.  Twice now we have had water front campsites that you backed into.  It was very nice to be able to spin the T@B so our door faced the water.  It also supplied some amusement to the people in the big campers when they saw us do this.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    I found these on Amazon ... I smell a mod coming :) I'll need to figure out how to attach it to the jack - shouldn't be too hard although complicated by the fact that I don't have any welding equipment anymore.

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Has a anyone used or seen one of these in action?

http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/flip-jack-foot
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    I like the wheel because on a gravel site you can spin the trailer to improve your view.  Twice now we have had water front campsites that you backed into.  It was very nice to be able to spin the T@B so our door faced the water.  It also supplied some amusement to the people in the big campers when they saw us do this.
    Exactly what we want to do. Our first time out the hard plastic wheel dug into the gravel and we couldn't budge it after that. 
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    Soft ground can be an issue.  The first time we did this it rained and he front wheel sank in some.  My wife and I were still able to lift and push to get it out of the rut and then it rolled fine.  I check now, state campgrounds seem to be more dirt then gravel while many of the private campgrounds are solid gravel so much less risk of sinking in.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I have an 18x18" piece of orange plastic - think it's a leveler pad for a big rig - I found in the middle of the road exiting a NP campground. I use that under the jack wheel when not paved. A couple of those might allow you to roll enough to get a view - you could roll onto one, move the other and roll onto it, rinse/repeat till you've got it where you want it.
  • Options
    Thank you @HeatherM! we're thinking along the same lines - I ordered this one from Amazon yesterday. I got one without any pre-drilled holes thinking that it will be better to line up with the top plate on the caster and drill new holes.

• Options
    HeatherMHeatherM Member Posts: 7
    Let me know how it turns out!
  • Options
    @Tommy, for every camper I've owned, I've used a "foot" just like that. I keep the wheel stored somewhere (which is usually attached to the jack pole the same way as the foot).

The foot is nice because the wheel doesn't bottom out going into gas stations and you can drop the tongue of the camper a few inches more. Keep in mind that on asphalt or concrete, the foot can slide, just not as fast as a wheel. That can be a bonus since I can use my knee to slide the camper tongue on the flat concrete block I use when I park at the house so I can move the the coupler that 2 mm to the side if I need to while hitching up.
  • Options
    I love my "foot". Like Ratkity, I can move the T@B a couple of inches to where I need it. So much easier than messing with the wheel. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN