Options

Semi-Winterizing Advice?

DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
We've certainly enjoyed our new T@B for the 3 months and 5 trips we've had it. Although summer is almost over (!), we'd like to take the T@B camping a few more times; Fall in the Southwest is some of the best in the year. However, in about a month or so we'll start getting freezing nights, so I'm wondering if there's something I can do short of pink-stuff winterizing...like drain all the lines. My worry is there might be pockets of water that might freeze and do line/thaw damage. Most of my concern is during storage in the driveway; if there's a freeze overnight forecast I'd plug her in and set the Alde on low. If we're camping I'd do the same (gas or electric). Any experience or advice out there? Thanks!!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Comments

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Reminder to leave your storage area doors open so as to allow the heat to get in there. This past spring we had a cold snap, and I threw a 6 buck jug of the rv antifreeze in there. Cheap insurance between trips, and minimal hassle, That said, I do not ever drink the water stored in the rv (and frequently, don't even use the water when camping).

LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Hi, Durango T@B -- I'm thinking along the same lines myself.  I thought I would use my blow-out plug and my little air compressor that I use for keeping my tires inflated to get rid of the condensation in the water lines.  Then when I park T@B for the winter, I'll use the pink stuff to be on the safe side.  :-?
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Beth...what "blow out plug"?

J.D. & Sue

• Options

This is what I ordered from Amazon.  I have not tried it yet, but I know others who have tried it with success.  I don't think you are supposed to use over 45 psi, which is the same pressure limitation for the water pressure regulator.  You can probably get one of these at an RV store, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36143-Brass-Quick-Connect/dp/B002XL2IEA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1408375300&sr=1-1&keywords=blow+out+plug

• Options
    Thanks Beth...great tip! I've got one on order...go Amazon Prime!

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    One comment about drainage that hasbeen alluded to...that it's important to have the T@B level, or even tilting slightly left (to "port"), as the FW drain is on the front left side of the tank. Unfortunately, we have ours stored on a pad by our driveway that leans the wrong way, so I'll I've to tow it somewhere flat when the time comes (it's too much to compensate with the BAL leveler).

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    Cheryl74074Cheryl74074 Member Posts: 71
    Our T@b has to tilt slightly to the right, because the air conditioner drain is in the front right corner (towards the door). 
    It was plugged and Marvin unplugged it for us at Tearstock, and showed us where it's located.
    If you remove the mirror in the shower, you have access to the drain tube.
    Cheryl, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, 2015 T@b S Maxx (T@bitha)
  • Options
    CodeJunkieCodeJunkie Member Posts: 50
    All useful information. Thanks everyone!
    Debbie

2014 T@B S M@xx with wetbath, aka PopT@B, silver with black trim, TV 2002 Chevy Avalanche

"Take only pictures, leave only footprints."
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I used a blow out plug last year to winterize, and it worked well.  We take trips even in the winter, and this is the easiest way to do it. 

Start by draining your hot water heater.  I have an electric one under the sink, which I can connect a hos to to drain.  I don't know the draining procedures for the Alde heaters.  Also open the fresh water tank's valve up and drain that.

Put the plug in your city water hook up and set the compressor to about 25psi.  Make sure to open all faucets, including the outdoor shower (we didn't use it, but it still had water in the lines) and run the water pump for about 30 seconds.

Once all the water is out close it up and pour a little bit of that pink antifreeze down the drain so that it fills the trap.  All this should take you less then thirty minutes.  The pictures are from me doing it at night after coming home in the snow last December.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Thanks so much, Nathan.  Good to know this is a tried and true method from a fellow-T@bber.  I re-read my instructions on the Alde for draining the hot water heater, and I will check it out and report back.  Stay tuned!  I also looked at my little Slime air compressor (WalMart - $55.00), and it has an adapter that will fit onto the end of the Camco Blow Out plug.    :D
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Nathan, thanks for the pics! 

We need a good, old-fashioned video tutorial on winterizing for all of us new T@ab owners (there seem to be quite a few.)

JD, I just saw Camping World post some heated blankets that could be used - think electric blankets that go under your T@b. 

I did order a blow-out plug and have a compressor I use to air up my Jeep tires after being out on the trails. I would also think it helps if you can open your water drain tank and drive with it open on one of your last trips home.

My question is, do people who winter camp in cold weather with their T@bs not use the water, hot water, toilets, or showers at all and just completely "dry" camp"? I am looking forward to winter and fall camping, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Last year we did use the water in December.  It was on city water and did not snow until we left camp, so it never got cold enough while in camp to worry.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA