Options

Audi Q5 brake controller hookup

JJandJJJJandJJ Member Posts: 11
we are awaiting delivery of our 2017 T@B S. Wondering if anyone is using an Audi Q5 as their tow vehicle, and if so, Do you have any experience with having a trailer brake controller installed? Our trailer dealer said "German car, better have the Audi dealer install it" and the Audi dealer said "we don't really know about trailer brakes, better have your trailer dealer install it". The concern is getting the wiring done correctly.

appreciate any thoughts,

Jeff 

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2016
    Jeff, a number of people here have mentioned how easy the wireless brake controller is for installation and setup.

You might search here for that.

But I'd be concerned about the 7pin connector being wired for you. Is that the wiring you're talking about?
    JJandJJ said:
    we are awaiting delivery of our 2017 T@B S. Wondering if anyone is using an Audi Q5 as their tow vehicle, and if so, Do you have any experience with having a trailer brake controller installed? Our trailer dealer said "German car, better have the Audi dealer install it" and the Audi dealer said "we don't really know about trailer brakes, better have your trailer dealer install it". The concern is getting the wiring done correctly.

appreciate any thoughts,

Jeff 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    AceAce Member Posts: 23
    Jeff, we use a wireless controller on our q5 we bought at Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P0ZA86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    we had the dealer install when we bought our max s this summer, pretty simple install if you have a powerful drill. Works great and if we get a new 5 we do need to buy again.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Ace, can't you use the original On a different vehicle?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    The wiring of the 7pin may be a problem on your Audi. A party other than Audi may really mess it up. Heard a horror story of Uhaul wiring a Lexus and caused $7,000 dollars worth of damage. I would go with what ACE says and see if at least Audi can wire up the 7pin connector for you.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    I know that the Q7 is pre-wired for a brake controller.  There is a wiring harness already installed and tucked up near the steering column.  Not sure about the Q5.  Maybe ask the same question on an Audi forum.
    Have fun!
    Bob
    SUNT@B

• Options
    AceAce Member Posts: 23
    Jeff, yes what I mean is you can use the controller with any car. The tab dealer is the one who installed it. 
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    I asked the question on the Web any many posts say the Q5 is pre wired under the dash but depends on year. Check with Auid SERVICE dept not sales
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Thanks to all for your comments. Already we discover what a friendly bunch our fellow T@B owners are!

We ended up going with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller which involves no wiring inside the car. It connects between the trailer and the car, and is fastened to the tongue of the trailer.  They then provide a remote / radio frequency controller that plugs into 12 volt outlet inside the car. I get to install it myself later this week. 

Our Q5 came with the dealer installed trailer package, which included the 7 pin electrical hook-up.  I was able to confirm (via an Audi mechanic taking the dash apart) that there is no brake controller connection up in there such as that on the Audi Q7. Fortunately the dealer did not charge me for that adventure, since they really should have been able to look it up in the first place, or ask Audi.

• Options
    razntwnrazntwn Member Posts: 26
    I went the same RF with my Volvo XC70 (had towing hitch installed when I bought); RV dealer stated they don't like dealing with the Europen wiring harnesses.  Dealer setup my RF brake controller and while I was there waiting and watching the technician he said it'd take a while to pair the brake controller (I suspect 15-20 minutes); he said its sometimes finicky to pair but after it'd be good.  Just FYI.

The great thing with the RF is after I bought the T@B I ended buying a new truck (no brake controller) and can just start towing :). Interesting thing is my new GMC truck has a specific line from the towing harness to the front for a brake controller ... I guess the new cars don't want things plugged into or people touching the wiring harness either.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2016
    Since it doesn't have the brake controller wiring, did you check to make sure it actually has the hot wire strung back to the seven pin for charging while driving. It might actually have just five pins active.
  • Options
    razntwnrazntwn Member Posts: 26
    PXLated makes a good point; in my Volvo it was more obvious cause I only had a 5 pin - RV dealer installed new seven pin and ran charge line to battery.  My truck however has 7 pin no brake controller but has charge line.
  • Options
    PXLated and razntwn - good points. The T@B dealer tested my plug and confirmed I have the 12 volt feed. He also says it will charge really slow compared to land power. 
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    JJandJJ, Good deal, and have a good time!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Ace - glad in not the only Q5 / T@B combo on the road. How do you find the fuel economy vs no trailer? Do you have the 2.0 or the 3.0?

Ace said:
    Jeff, we use a wireless controller on our q5 we bought at Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P0ZA86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    we had the dealer install when we bought our max s this summer, pretty simple install if you have a powerful drill. Works great and if we get a new 5 we do need to buy again.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yes - Slow - And if you run your fridge on battery while traveling, depending of the size of your alternator, you may lose some, rarely gain.
  • Options
    RyanAndLuluRyanAndLulu Member Posts: 20
    I also use a wireless brake controller with my SQ5. I had the RV dealership install it as Audi didn't have a clue what I needed! The only bad thing is you need to remember to plug it in to the outlet in the car when hooking up the trailer! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P0ZA86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Girl Glamper | Austin, TX | 2018 Land Rover Discovery | 2018 T@B 400 |
    Partner in Crime: Black pug (Lulu)