Options

Has anyone bought a custom rear canopy?

Have a 2016 CS-S.  We spend most of our time at the rear of the trailer - not outside of the side door.  Have searched and even tried a couple of four-legged "sun/beach canopies.  Didn't like any of them.  Finally found the Hasika awning and like the way it matches up to our camping style and the rear kitchen hatchback.  A little bit of a pain = roll the ground mat out, unfold the Hasika fabric, put together and install Hasika structure to canopy fabric, lift one end over open kitchen door and tie off, and finally secure rear "ground side" of Hasika.  All in all, not bad, but have wanted something that has side option (for windy times) AND maybe more permanently attached above door and simply a "fold-out" application - like a bimini top on a boat.  Haven't located any vendor that does that - was thinking of having a boat upholstery outfit custom make a sunbrella zippered sides with windows and removable if desired.  It will be expensive.
Has anyone made their own?  I can do "bimini" structure, no problem - the fabric and cutting, stitching of hems and procuring plastic for widows would be an issue (purchasing of equipment, etc.)  Having run numbers both ways, it seems like a rather large sum to eliminate the Hasika set-up and take-down time.  Hence the question - anyone gone about this kind of rear awning application?

oops!  sorry about the size, moderators - will try to get better with pic biz.  This is our current set-up.

Comments

• Options
    oldschl1oldschl1 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks - have looked at these.  Close but no cigars.  Was thinking of something attached in the travel position to outside of trailer.  Will have to figure out a drawing of some sort to explain I guess.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Paha Que Wilderness told me they are working on a clamshell model with Windows that attach to the T@B, but they were unsure of when it would be ready for production. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    oldschl1oldschl1 Member Posts: 9
    Thank you Verna - great to know - I thought maybe I was going to have to begin production of something specific to our desires - and then go back to work instead of retirement.  Not good.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Definitely not good oldschl1! Work is another one of those four letter words I choose to avoid! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 935
    edited August 2016
    I have been working on  "side curtains" for our clamshell kitchen. 
    One of the most annoying situations is when the breeze is from just the right direction, it blows out the stove top burners. These panels are an attempt to help alleviate the problem.  They install easily with "S" hooks and "ball bungees".  These are prototypes made from an old tarp and masking tape.  They roll up to about the size of a tennis ball and install in seconds.  Sometimes - not always - they are just what is needed.  Even just one side is occasionally all that is needed.  We also occasionally use these in combination with a Texsport shelter similar to the Hasika in the OP.
    Slight adjustments to size and fastening methods has delayed a nicer finished version.  I guess it's true. "There is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution." 

Just sharing ideas for those thinking about a custom approach.
    Have fun!
    Bob

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I don't have a clam but know what you mean - gave away my small grill and campstove - too much wind out and about and couldn't keep either lit half the time.