Options

New T@b owner power cord question

redauntredaunt Member Posts: 24
i looked at this extensive list (very helpful in my opinion) but still have questions about power cords. 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/636/for-new-t-bbers-what-do-i-need-to-get-t-b-supply-list/p1
i know the T@b is a 30 amp machine.  I get that you have to use an adapter to plug into 50 amp or 110 volt, but have no idea about what kind of power cord / extension cord to purchase......and our dealer does not supply this with our purchase, only sewer hose, water hose, water pressure regulator. 

I would love to find a word file/PDF called "T@b 101" or something similar (T@bs for dummies???) but haven't seen anywhere on this forum where files are stored.   I did check the "resources" section, but what I'm looking for isn't there. 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    The Tab comes with a 30 amp power cord.  Many people also purchase an extra 25 feet 30 amp extension cord in case the campground pedestal is too far from the Tab.  May come in handy at your home as well but you will need a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter and you may not be able to run your AC off the 15 - 20 amp circuit at your house.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ours came with a 25ft 30A cord, with the twist-loc end for the Tab.

I've heard different stories about whether the dealer supplies the cord or the factory. I assumed the factory did, but I may be wrong.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Mine came with one also - Don't know who supplied it though. It was just there.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    redaunt said:

I know the T@b is a 30 amp machine.  I get that you have to use an adapter to plug into 50 amp or 110 volt, but have no idea about what kind of power cord / extension cord to purchase......and our dealer does not supply this with our purchase, only sewer hose, water hose, water pressure regulator. 

Your trailer should be equipped and come with the 30 amp power cord.  What year is your trailer?   Your cord will look like this one.

Here is a helpful link that will provide you with valuable information and insight on RV electrical systems, adapters, etc.  Take a few moments and read through this as it will be beneficial and help answer questions you have.  

RV Electrical Systems
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    And DO NOT remove that tag, the chord won't work without it :-)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    PXLated said:
    And DO NOT remove that tag, the chord won't work without it :-)
    Once it's removed the chip dissolves and self activates inside the cord and the feds will come looking for you with handcuffs and via GPS satellite tracking.  smilie

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    And you'll get a double fine if they find you have also removed your pillow tags. And heaven forbide you remove that one attached to your chains, that's jail time :-)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2016
    Ever been through one of those truck and trailer 'inspection stations'?

What do you think they inspect, eh? Your flares, tires, and tags.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Well, this thread went down hill fast :lol:

The cord is factory provided.  Is your T@B new or used?  No guarantees on a used T@B having one.

You can get adapters inexpensively anywhere RV supplies are sold, meaning your local Wal-Mart will have them for just a few dollars.  Most useful is the 30-20 amp adapter.  I have only used a 30-50 amp once in the last four years, and never had the need for an extension cord, though I've come close at times.  Really depends on where you camp.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Tearstock was the first time I had used my 25' extension.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    redauntredaunt Member Posts: 24
    @mchigan_mike great article on RV electrical stuff, THANKS!  We don't have our T@b yet, but it is ordered. I contacted the dealer earlier this week to find out what they provide in their "startup" package.  No power cord, but they do supply water hose, sewer hose, battery, full propane tank, and water pressure thingy.  I'll add a 30 Amp cord to my Amazon list along with leveling blocks, stick on levels, surge protector and other goodies. 
  • Options
    My dealer startup package - other than battery and propane tank - was cheap junk. Basically wished I'd asked for a discount and just bought my own as I ended up doing anyway.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    @redaunt, I have purchased two new trailers from LG in the last three years. Both came with 30 amp cords. They are PART of the trailer. Without it you cannot charge up your battery or camp at campground with a power pedestal. Keep your receipt for the one you buy. My guess is you will have one inside the trailer that the dealer is not aware of...
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    What Salley said - betting there's one with it, mine was, wasn't part of the dealer starter package, totally seperate.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The cord comes with the trailer. If you want an extension, that's another matter!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    REDaunt: Call you dealer ask as specifically if the T@B comes with a 30amp power cord from the factory. . I believe for new units it is not part of the dealers ":Start up package" as it is provided by the manufacture; but call to check
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Also, mine came with leveling Lego blocks...and I believe those are provided by the manufacturer as well.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    The dealer may throw in the lego blocks, but it is not provided by the manufacturer or Little Guy.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Smullis7 said:
    Also, mine came with leveling Lego blocks...and I believe those are provided by the manufacturer as well.
    No, those did not come from Pleasant Valley, the factor/manufacturer. The dealer must have given them to you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221

Ahh, I watched a YouTube video at some point that said every T@B comes with them...and mine had them...so I thought they came from PV.

Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    No leveling blocks came with either of my LG campers. Just the manuals, tv/DVD remotes, 30 amp cord, both times, purchased new from different dealers 2400 miles apart. 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    redaunt said:

I know the T@b is a 30 amp machine.  I get that you have to use an adapter to plug into 50 amp or 110 volt, but have no idea about what kind of power cord / extension cord to purchase......and our dealer does not supply this with our purchase, only sewer hose, water hose, water pressure regulator. 

Your trailer should be equipped and come with the 30 amp power cord.  What year is your trailer?   Your cord will look like this one.

Here is a helpful link that will provide you with valuable information and insight on RV electrical systems, adapters, etc.  Take a few moments and read through this as it will be beneficial and help answer questions you have.  

RV Electrical Systems

I had previously purchased a power cord such as the one above thinking this would take care of my power needs. Little did I know that the T@b had a totally different plug-in configuration. Luckily my T@b also came with the cord that will fit the camper plug. Looks like I will have an additional extension cord now!

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    dmurzbac - Hmmmmm - My T@B has a plug that fits the above pictured cable.
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Verna said:
    No, those dud not come from Pleasant Valley, the factor/manufacturer. The dealer must have given them to you. 
    Actually, my 30amp cable did come directly from Pleasant Valley. My 2011 T@B purchase was direct from the factory and no dealer was involved. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited January 2017
    boo said:
    This is a "10" amp cord, not a 12 amp.
    Did you mean to say gauge not amp? ;)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    PXLated said:
    dmurzbac - Hmmmmm - My T@B has a plug that fits the above pictured cable.

Oops! Never mind. It appears I need new glasses. That is the same power cord that came with my T@b.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    Verna said:
    Smullis7 said:
    No, those dud not come from Pleasant Valley, the factor/manufacturer. The dealer must have given them to you. 
    Estancio said:
    Verna said:
    Actually, my 30amp cable did come directly from Pleasant Valley. My 2011 T@B purchase was direct from the factory and no dealer was involved. 
    @Estancio, the reference was about the Lego blocks. I did not mention the cord. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    SAM said:
    ...but you will need a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter and you may not be able to run your AC off the 15 - 20 amp circuit at your house.  
    It's not the AC you need to worry about, as it only takes 4 Amps to run (500w)...

The Alde, on the other hand, uses about 8 amps on each heating element, and it has two of them!

If your extension cord is at least 10 gauge, you can run both Alde elements on a 20 amp circuit in your garage, using the adapter.  These extension cords are hard to find though, and expensive.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Thanks Wizard1880.  I purchased a 10 feet 10 gauge 30 amp all copper extension cord made by Surge Guard for RV use for less than $30 from Amazon.  They currently list it as being provided by Coleman - same cord.  

So, if plugged into a 20 amp circuit, we can run the Alde for hot water and the AC - 8 amps + 4 amps with amps tp spare for lights, etc.  Correct?  If the circuit is only 15 amps, then we may end up tripping the breaker.  Trying to prepare for driveway camping ahead of time!

Or - does the Alde take 16 amps all the time ( even when not heating)?

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    The Alde has two 950W elements that run when the unit is heating. You can turn on both elements, or just one of them. As wizard 1880 noted, each individual element draws ~8 amps (950 watts/120 volts = 7.9 amps). Running both elements, plus the A/C, plus other devices, will put you very close to overloading a 20 amp circuit.

Using only one Alde element will give you some wiggle room, even on a 15 amp circuit.
    2015 T@B S