Options

Towing vehicle

jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
First time post to this extraordinary forum-a fundamental question. We have a new to us 2015 T@B Max S Outback and were told it's dry weight was 1860. The GVRW is 2800 LB and GAWR 2900.

We have 2 options for a tv: 2002 Nissan Frontier manual 5 speed 4 cylinder 2.4 L engine with a GVRW of 4700 and GAWR of 2385. It has a Max towing capacity of 3000 LB. We also have a 2010 4 cylinder 2.5 L Subaru Forester Automatic with a GVRW of 4480 LB and GAWR front axle of 2310/rear axle 2410 with a max towing capacity of 2400 LB with the electric brakes.

Before spending ~$1000 getting the tow equipment, transmission cooler and electric brakes on the Forester, I am seeking clarification. (I do understand tongue weight, tires/pressure and how much we bring along are also important.) 

There is a third option of getting a new to us tv with more power and a factory tow package. But! We love the Forester and it will be a more comfortable ride for us and our 2 dogs (total wt 520). But! We live in Portland Oregon and our first overnight will be to eastern Oregon over a ~ 4500 ft. pass. We don't mind being the tortoise-although there's a hare in the soup, but need adequate towing and braking power. While my guess from reading the tow threads is there is no definitive answer, does anyone have a recommendation? 
John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Comments

• Options
    prplxprplx Member Posts: 29
    You can tow it with your Forester, and unless you spend all your time in the Rockies, you don't need a transmisison cooler.  Subaru alreaday has a transmission cooler senser that will tell you if the transmisison is overheating, in which case you would need to stop and let it cool for a bit.  It has never happend to me, and I tow with a smaller Impreza with a similar engine.

I would say give it a try before having a coller installed.  I also read elswhere that it was doubling up the system for nothing on a Subaru.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    If you don't mind being the tortoise, it should be okay.  what is the grade on the pass?  I used a forester (2012) in the West (colorado, utah, california, nevada) and it worked okay (not great, but okay).  Mine was a stick shift and I often needed to use gearing.  Does it allow you to select gears -- my current vehicle is an auto with gear selection available and it has worked fine;  having explicit control over gearing would help tremendously.  When going uphill, controlling which gear will be used is very very helpful on the forester. 
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Subarus are great vehicles, never had one, but would if I could afford it. I see that the 6 cylinder Outback can tow 3000 lbs. Maybe one of those would be a better fit for you.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Keep in mind  the safety aspect of how much weight you're trying to maneuver when an emergency situation crops up. The lighter Forester will be more prone to being pushed around than a heavier TV would be.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Can't speak for the Forester, but I hauled a ~1500lb trailer with the same Frontier as you describe. It was okay for one trip, but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it.

I upgraded to the 4.0L V6 Frontier before buying a camper. Not sure I'd like pushing it to its rated 6000lb tow capacity, but it's great for towing the T@B.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Not too sure I'd want to push that one either. When I sold my tent trailer, and bought the T@B, all it took was one trip home from the dealer[in our Chevy HHR] to know that I would be investing in a larger tow vehicle. I tow over the Cascades and Sawtooths a lot, can't imagine going up, or down an 8%, 9%, or now way, a 10% grade with a 4 cylinder anything! Safety should always be the first consideration factor when towing. Yes, you might be able to get going, but try to have to make an emergency stop. The initial cost wasn't the factor I looked at first, it was the liability cost, and the safety of myself and others! 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Thanks everyone for your helpful replies! Until we can say Hey! when we see you on the road we'll dream in our driveway. And repeat-must not put the cart before the horse ever again! While that grade is ~ 6% for one bit, we do have the Rockies in our future so looks like a more powerful, heavier tv is in our future.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    My key issue in switching vehicles was to cope with high grade roads....
  • Options
    ashawashaw Member Posts: 18
    I tow with my 2010 Forester auto transmission.  Living in Salt Lake, anywhere I go I have to go over mountains.  I often go slow and I watch the rpm more than speedometer but we always get there.   Haven't had any overheat or other transmission problems so far.  That being said, if I could afford it, I would get a bigger TV.  In the mean time please wave as you pass me by!
     Ashaw 2015 CS-S Max. 2016 Kia Sorento