Options

Cooling Fan Kit for 3-Way Fridge

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
Anyone know if the add-on cooling fan kit for the 3-way Norcold fridge is specifically recommended for the safe/proper operation of the fridge itself, or is it primarily for the comfort of the humans inside the camper?

Seems I've read a few posts recently where overheating of the fridge innards caused a breakdown, but I'm not sure if those were exacerbated by other issues.
2015 T@B S

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It is for comfort and to prevent the counter from getting too hot and causing other consequences. The day mine was installed, it was 95*+ and that night was the first night at Tearstock last year that the A/C compressor didn't run all night. There is a lot of heat that needed to be released from under the countertop. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Either way, it's a great thing to have ... And it's free and easy to install - I did it at a little city park, wayside rest.
  • Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    Please let us know fan you installed. I would like to put one in mine. Thank you.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Dave28 - You just call Elsie at the factory (contact info in right column) and ask for the fridge aux fan kit ... She'll send you a new exterior vent that has the fan built in - you (or a dealer) can take off the old, drill a hole for the switch, attach the wires, reinsert the vent - Done.
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    edited August 2016
    @ScottG I'm in the middle of this too. During our recent trip to Utah we had to dispose of a good amount of food/condiments etc. because the fridge temp was too high a lot of the time. It wasn't even that hot out (80's) most of the time until we got to Scottsdale for two days. It seems like we fought with it the entire time and came home from the trip wondering what other fridge options are out there. So based on this I would say for us it's a food safety issue and installing these fans is kind of a last resort before calling this fridge a loser.

I called Elsie at the factory and she got the kit right out to me - no questions asked other than the model year of the trailer. Before it even arrived I decided to go with @OutbackAZ mod and ordered two of the 92mm fans he recommended from Amazon and I'm waiting for them to arrive. I think I'm going to leave the Norcold fan in place - we are solid sleepers and noise hasn't bothered us a bit - we barely notice when it's on while we are awake. If later we think it's too loud then I know how to replace it. For now I'm going to install the two new fans on the vent to the outside and wire them off the Norcold fan so they all three come on together.