Options

Toyota Tacoma as a Tow Vehicle

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
This discussion was created from comments split from: Towing with a Honda Odyssey Van.
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    We love the Tacoma.  I bought a Scan Gauge to monitor the transmission temp.  It also will monitor many other aspects of what your truck is doing.  It has taught me a lot about my truck and how to drive it and keep things cool.  

A side note...my truck was delievered 1 qt low on tranny fluid.  This is an issue with the new Tacoma's.  I called Toyota corporate to complain.  They gave me a premium extended warranty for the entire truck for a period of 8 years or 100,000 miles.  So if you suspect it may be low take it in to the dealer to check out.  If it's low they will document it and then you can advocate for the extended warranty to protect your expensive investmfent.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    CoolparrotCoolparrot Member Posts: 18
    I rememder talking with you about this at the vintage trailer show at Hement last month. I will definitely check this out when I buy a new Tacoma for towing. Grrat info.
  • Options
    lightningdonlightningdon Member Posts: 30
    Dinzzy, are you running an auto trans or manual in your Taco?
    Don
    2017 T@G XL Max
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 with 6 Sp manual
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    Yes it's an auto Trans....the new 6 speed.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    lightningdonlightningdon Member Posts: 30
    Lot of complaints about the auto tranny out there. When I was looking to order my Tacoma, that was the number one complaint. Glad I got the manual transmission.
    Don
    2017 T@G XL Max
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 with 6 Sp manual
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
     We tow with a 2012 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, towing package, manual 6sp tranny.  I love the truck...except when I'm towing over our windy mountain passes...constantly shifting.  A neighbor of ours who owns a car repair shop said your shouldn't tow with a manual transmission for that reason (at least not in the mountains).  It's rated at 6500# towing capacity, but I often have to shift into 2nd to get up these Colorado mountains...I'm jealous of Andrew and his V8 Lexus SUV (HP outweighs torque...).

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
     We tow with a 2012 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, towing package, manual 6sp tranny.  I love the truck...except when I'm towing over our windy mountain passes...constantly shifting.  A neighbor of ours who owns a car repair shop said your shouldn't tow with a manual transmission for that reason (at least not in the mountains).  It's rated at 6500# towing capacity, but I often have to shift into 2nd to get up these Colorado mountains...I'm jealous of Andrew and his V8 Lexus SUV (HP outweighs torque...).
    That seems like a really odd comment ("shouldn't tow with a manual transmission"). I've always thought that a manual transmission was better on that kind of terrain because the driver can control when to shift. For example, if you see a big climb ahead, you can downshift slightly in advance and get things rumbling before you tackle the hill. The automatic isn't going to downshift until you've already lost momentum. Ugh. My Santa Fe has Shiftronic (overrides the automatic to allow manual shifting) and I use it all the time on hilly terrain. Sure, it's more work, but I think that it's better than relying on the automatic, which is never going to shift at the right time on hills.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    I love my automatic transmission. I tow in 4th gear because that's what I was told to tow in so the transmissions won't be constantly shifting back and forth. I do downshift to 2nd on the country gravel roads to the campground I'm Camp Hosting at because of the washboard-y bumps, up hills down hills going 10 to 15 mph (I don't want gravel dings in the front of my T@B.). It's been working for me just fine. No, I don't go off-reading except for a few campsites in AZ and that's not very bad. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    BanditBandit Member Posts: 7
    Where at in AZ moving there in Dec.
  • Options
    Anywhere I land!  I winter there and I change from Southern to southeast to western. As long as it's warmer than home, I'm happy. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    BanditBandit Member Posts: 7
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I like the towing mode that my '15 GMC Canyon has. It not only prevents shifting to 6th gear, it allows the rpms to go higher when going up a hill instead of shifting up and down. I haven't taken it on any elevations higher than 3500', so keep that in mind. "MMMV" MY mileage may vary :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Biggest issue with a manual...wearing out the clutch

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I learned to drive on manual transmissions (3-on-the-tree Mercury Comet, 4 speed VW, school bus, tractor double-clutch). To this day, it feels weird to hold the steering wheel with my right hand. With that background, it's hard for me NOT to engine brake. I do it on my motorcycle all the time. I have to remember that the ABS brake system does not work if you are engine breaking on the bike (don't know about TVs).

The only clutches that would wear were the school bus ones. That old 74 mustang clutch didn't die for over 10 years and I towed with it (usually moving like a nomad - schools, post-docs and fellowships). The mustang was 4 speed. Loved that old rusted piece of pinto-hybrid!! :) Alas, memories.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ratkity, Now, that's funny. I also had a '63 Mercury Comet. Her name was the "Red Flash". I inherited it from my younger brother when he went in the service. :) Cost: $200.00
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Ratkity said:
    I learned to drive on manual transmissions (3-on-the-tree Mercury Comet, 4 speed VW, school bus, tractor double-clutch). To this day, it feels weird to hold the steering wheel with my right hand. With that background, it's hard for me NOT to engine brake. I do it on my motorcycle all the time. I have to remember that the ABS brake system does not work if you are engine breaking on the bike (don't know about TVs).

The only clutches that would wear were the school bus ones. That old 74 mustang clutch didn't die for over 10 years and I towed with it (usually moving like a nomad - schools, post-docs and fellowships). The mustang was 4 speed. Loved that old rusted piece of pinto-hybrid!! :) Alas, memories.
    I learned to drive on a stick (VW squareback) and drove manual transmission vehicles my entire life until I bought my Santa Fe new.
    The only clutch that ever needed work was a VW Cabriolet that I stupidly allowed my leadfoot boyfriend to drive. If you're not riding the clutch you shouldn't wear it out. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    I like the towing mode that my '15 GMC Canyon has. It not only prevents shifting to 6th gear, it allows the rpms to go higher when going up a hill instead of shifting up and down. I haven't taken it on any elevations higher than 3500', so keep that in mind. "MMMV" MY mileage may vary :lol:
    That sounds like a major improvement. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    GavinGavin Member Posts: 5
    Just completed my first journey towing my 2008 t@b from Trenton to Riverhead LI. My 4cylinder Tacoma yielded 20 mpg. 4 speed auto downshift to 3rd on inclines. Haven't encountered any major inclines yet.