Options

Fridge - Propane While Traveling?

13»

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited October 2016
    @lapowers57, do you have a link to the product you are referring to?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Verna, Click on the blue highlight on Michigan_Mike's post, and it will take you to the Walmart post. Is that what you were asking?
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Verna, Click on the blue highlight on Michigan_Mike's post, and it will take you to the Walmart post. Is that what you were asking?
    No, I forgot to put Lapowers57 name there.....fixed
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sorry, just tryin' to help out!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Sorry, just tryin' to help out!
    Thanks for your help, Eric! That's what happens when I try to ask a quick question on my way out the door. "Distracted walking and typing"!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    At least it just affected your typing and not your walking - could have been a fall instead.
  • Options
    PXL, Glad to see with all you're dealing with 'ya haven't lost your sense of humor! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    No biggy, just deal with the hand your dealt each day - inconvenience, yes :-)
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    edited October 2016
    An easy way to check your battery voltage is the Equus Innova 12 volt LED cigarette style meter that is available for around $10 at Walmart.  I have one and have used it for many years.  I also have a fixed meter inside my trailer on the lower passenger side bench area and  can quickly glance through the window for a quick visual and the other built in meter that is part of my SeeLevel ll tank monitor system.  

Image result for Inova led 12 volt battery meter

I was asking what information this product would give me that my SealeveL II does not.  I am relatively happy with the SealeveL II as a way to keep a rough gauge on my batteries level of discharge.  I know there are better options that will ignore most of the load on the battery but they require lots of work and cost a good bit.  Given that this just plugs into the 12 volt socket I can't imagine that it provides a more accurate reading then the SealeveL II, if you have one.

2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    The only thing the Equus Innova will do differently is provide you with a quick visual reading of the voltage, whereas the SeeLevel ll meter would need to have the battery button pushed in to read it.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    I recently installed a Drok LED Readout Battery monitor that I packaged in a ABS box with a lighted switch directly connected to my battery in the propane/battery housing on the front of our T@B. It is connected independently of anything else including the battery cutoff switch I also recently installed. This way I can directly monitor battery voltage at the battery no-load and load under various conditions without concern for voltage drop in the leads.

I am writing a detailed article on how it I did this with B/M and pictures and will share it with this forum once I figure out how to do it as it is rather long.

In the meantime here are a couple of pictures.

Fergie

• Options
    Nice, details with photos would be really helpful, thanks!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    It appears that my blowouts - both while traveling and in campgrounds - weren't "blow"outs (wind related) but a shot thermocouple. We'll see.
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    I wanted to add some actual data to this discussion, as driving with the fridge on 12V vs propane mode is a continual debate I have with myself. I have a Trimetric meter installed, so the current drain or charging is being measured accurately. Below, - means current drain and + means charging.

Baseline: -0.09A (from LP detector)
    Fridge on 12V: -10.3A
    Car connected and running in idle: +4.13A (Fridge is off)
    Car connected and running in idle with Fridge on 12V: ranging from -1.5A to 0.2A

The car input current is varying and I suppose it's possible that while driving down the highway it would overcome the fridge draw and venture into positive, in my configuration, it's clear that running the fridge on 12V while driving risks draining the battery beyond what my car alternator can replace.

Data is good. More data is better. :-)
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    All depends on ones alternator size but yours is probably typical I'd guess.