Options

Omnia Oven?

In a November 2015 post, BBchBum suggested the Omnia Oven as an option for making baked goods on the stovetop.  After reading additional reviews, I thought I’d take a leap of faith and buy one of these gizmos BEFORE we take delivery of the T@b.

BBchBum is right: the Omnia is pricey, but it is also compact and lightweight. The instruction booklet is vague because it depends on what you are using as a heat source. In addition, the oven has no temperature gauge.

My first attempt, Potatoes Au Gratin was a miss because I overfilled the oven; the flavor was there but the taters were a tad underdone. Even so, hubby ate 3 helpings. My next attempt was with a 12.4 oz can Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls. Playing it safe, I only used 6 rounds, evenly spaced, in the Omnia and “baked” them over a medium gas flame for 25 minutes. Though the Omnia booklet states, “baked items may appear paler than items cooked in a conventional oven,” our rolls came out absolutely perfect! Next time out, I will be using all 8 rolls.

Omnia offers several recipes on their website at http://omniasweden.com/en/recipes/ but many of the measurements are in metric.

If you are using an Omnia on your T@b stovetop, I would appreciate your advice and perhaps a recipe or two.

Best regards

HamTab

Comments

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    I, too, got one of these thinking I'd use it because I knew I'd miss my toaster oven (and regular oven at home). But so far I haven't tried anything. You've revitalized my desire for having some baked goods so I've got to give it a try. Sorry I cannot offer any words of wisdom or recipes but will follow this thread for ideas.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Similar, but different, the Outback Oven:.https://www.amazon.com/Backpackers-Pantry-OUTBACK-OVEN-10/dp/B002J91QG2

I haven't cooked a whole lot in it, but I can attest that it makes great cookies.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We've used an Outback Oven for many years over a Coleman propane stove. More compact than the Omnia looks to be.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    edited August 2016
    We bought the omnia oven and like it but have had mixed results.  I believe that baking in any any stove top oven is a bit of an art form and takes some practice. These were cinnamon rolls out of a tube.  Biscuit drop biscuits worked well also.

2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Looks good!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    HamTabHamTab Member Posts: 11
    Lapowers57, THANK YOU for taking the time to write and to upload photos. It looks like you can do quite a bit with your RV kitchen. Is that some sort of backpacking cookware on the other burner? Like you, I have had mixed results with the Omnia. At the moment I am taking my first shot at roasting broccoli in it. Smells good so far.
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    On the stove is my old backpacking tea kettle.  It is small and makes two cups of tea and I already had it.  We are also using backpacking cookware because it nests and stores compactly.  It is CSI Pinnacle cookware (http://tinyurl.com/GSI-Cookware).  I was afraid it would be too lite but my wife has not had any complaints and has done a good bit of frying in the skillet.  Her only comment was that she had to cook at a slightly lower heat and bring it up slowly.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    GregorioGregorio Member Posts: 18
    I'm having a good time trying different methods of baking with my Dutch Oven. There are a couple of items that I still have to try out, but previous reviews and comment give me hope.  One is the Dutch Oven Dome (http://www.campchef.com/dutch-oven-dome.html) and the other, more exciting thing is the CampMaid way of baking. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSaGHKdIheE)  I know that many of you T@B owners cook inside, but this is a suggestion for those of us who still enjoy cooking and baking outdoors when camping.  One helpful thing that I found out quite a while ago is that each charcoal briquet changes the temperature about 25 degrees. Using that rule-of-thumb, I've been successful baking cinnamon rolls and corn bread. I'm anxious to see what's in store down the road.  Watch for me on the open road and I'll be happy to share. 
    Spokane, WA (LG Forum Moderator)
    2011 6-Wide Sport
  • Options
    HamTabHamTab Member Posts: 11
    Looks like you can do some serious cooking with that set up!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I truly enjoyed my Omnia Oven last winter. I have more ideas for this winter, plus I purchased the silicone insert so I shouldn't have to deal with the burnt edges this year. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”