Options

Transmission Cooler on an Outback?

Hans111Hans111 Member Posts: 47
We tow our S-Max with a 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6 and it does fine in the midwest. We're planning our first mountain trip next month and I thought a transmission cooler would be a good idea. The shop I checked with said there's no room for a transmission cooler on an Outback.
Lots of us tow with Subarus. Has anyone installed a cooler? If so, did it make a meaningful difference?
Doug
Des Moines Iowa
2016 S Max Sofitel

Comments

• Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    I used to tow a 13' Scamp with a 2009 Forrester.  I took trips to CO and CA.  I wish I had a trans. cooler.  It would have made a big difference I'm sure.  The long hills took it's toll and the trans. oil was burnt after one trip.  Doubt that was good for the car.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    You can search UTube for a DIY.  You might have to remove the grill to install the transmission cooler.  Buy the biggest one that will fit.  A few bolts and clips.

I would also strongly suggest getting a Scan Gauge. It simply plugs into you cars ODI port (computer).  It will tell you the Trans temp and other important engine/Trans information.  They are about $125 on Amazon.  You will always know how the Trans is doing and if you need to give it a rest.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    RVABuffRVABuff Member Posts: 15
    You have asked a very controversial question on the subaruoutback.org forums. ;)  Check out this link.  www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/43480-transmission-cooler-after-trailer-hitch-install-3.html

2015 T@B M@X-S, 2017 Ford F150 2.7L V6 Turbo
    Chesterfield, VA
  • Options
    Excellent DIY from E Trailer!

Get a Scan Gauge and you will be set!

• Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited August 2016
    Even with a transmission cooler you still can overheat.  I monitor tranny and engine temperature, battery voltage, etc with a Scangauge II (http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/).  There are other devices on the market but I have used this one for years without failure.  It plugs into the OBDII port.  Most modern cars have an extra OBDII port underneath the dash.

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    Source3, you're correct.  The transmission cooler doesn't guarantee the it will not over heat. Bathe Scan GaugeII is the best way to monitor the engine and transmission.  Thanks for correcting the port name to plug the gauge into.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,514
    source3 - who installs the Scangauge?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited August 2016
    @SAM. I do all my mechanic work so I guess a mechanic?  However, really simple to install. Plug port ODBII connector into OBDII port, run wire, and mount gauge in a convenient spot. 

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,514
    Thanks, sounds like a plug in that I can handle.

Sharon
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    We have a 2015 2.5i 4 cyl... Dealer's service department advised against transmission cooler. Said system is sealed and no need for one. I like the idea of gettting the Scan Gauge to keep an eye on things. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN