Options

Mesa Verde

sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
Heading for Mesa Verde NP in about a month for a week of  workshops and R&R. Can anyone recommend rv parks or campgrounds south of Moab, for the trip down to Mesa Verde. We leave from Wyoming and will stay first night in Grand Junction. Need a place to camp second night somewhere south of Moab.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    If you take 50/550 down from Grand Junction, it's a gorgeous route, and there's a nice little (commercial) hot spring at Ouray. Silverton has a good breakfast cafe.

Can't help you with campgrounds though, and that's what you asked about... B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I stayed at the Durango KOA when I visited Mesa Cerde. I was unable to get a site at the National forest campgrounds or anywhere else. I was quite satisfied with the KOA, still one of my favorites. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209

I stayed at Devils Canyon for a night - It's slightly south of your turn but not much. Nice paved pads. A little noisy because of the highway. I believe someone else here stayed at one of the FS campgrounds west of Monticello.

If you have the time there's a bunch of BLM in Canyonlands South as well as the NP campground. It's about 25 miles in but a pretty drive. It's before your turn east.

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    If you're staying in GJ, Moab is not that far away...are you looking for campgrounds closer to Mesa Verde?  There are a number of suggestions on the forum for camping around Moab and Canyonlands south of there.  There's a KOA in Cortez, an RV park at the MV exit off 160, and MV's campground is excellent (4miles up the road).  If you don't mind backtracking a bit, Mancos State Park is nice (a few miles north of Mancos). Ouray, 550, and Durango (our home) would be going the wrong way, but we have a bunch of options south of Silverton.  Weather may dictate where you go!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If you're staying in GJ, Moab is not that far away...are you looking for campgrounds closer to Mesa Verde?  There are a number of suggestions on the forum for camping around Moab and Canyonlands south of there.  There's a KOA in Cortez, an RV park at the MV exit off 160, and MV's campground is excellent (4miles up the road).  If you don't mind backtracking a bit, Mancos State Park is nice (a few miles north of Mancos). Ouray, 550, and Durango (our home) would be going the wrong way, but we have a bunch of options south of Silverton.  Weather may dictate where you go!
    These are good suggestions. Also, you can check out Valley of the Gods near Bluff or the National Forest Campgrounds close to Mesa Verde. Also the Montezuma County Fairgrounds gas a campground.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Bluff's a pretty place - has an old fort thingy there.
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    edited August 2016
    We will be in Durango in about 4 weeks and we are trying this cg:

http://www.camplightnercreek.com

Never stayed there but looks nice and has decent reviews. Looks like it is a little over a half hour away
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    @ChrisK...nice campground!  We have friends that live down the street from there. 15 minutes from town.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 936
    The Mesa Verde RV Resort across from the MVNP entrance is one of the nicest, cleanest "campgrounds" we have stayed.  Highly recommended.

• Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    @ChrisK...nice campground!  We have friends that live down the street from there. 15 minutes from town.
    Thanks! Looking forward to visiting Durango again. Love riding the train. I wish we could make the T@b meet up next month there but that is the weekend we are traveling to Custer, SD. We'll be hitting Durango on the way back.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Thanks for all of the options. Thought we'd avoid the south route out of Grand Junction and the mountains. Stick to Moab but we would go through Moab about noon and wanted to stop some where about half way between Moab and Mesa Verde.  Monticello sounds about right. We'll see how things go, don't have to be in Mesa Verde until Sunday.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I drove from Telluride to Monument Valley this summer, through Four Corners. I had no idea how far away you could see Shiprock, even on a hazy day! I wish we had made the side trip down there.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Shiprock's a big, big rock :-)