Options

Where to camp in Idaho and Montana?

We are off on an adventure.  Not sure where, but we know that we're leaving the SF Bay area and going north.  The first night will be in Klamath Falls and the second in Bend.  After that, I think we will head east toward Rollins, MT (per the advice of a friend). However, we have knowledge or experience in the mid-west.  None at all!

Any advice out there on where to go?  We are looking for beauty and solitude.  National parks are great, but secret get-away spots away from the crowds would be even better.

Thanks!
Tom

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Tom, I use the Allstays app. I drive for a few hours, estimate where I'll be and then look for a campground in that area on Allstays. Or, I look for a destination and then find a campground close by. It's more relaxing than you would believe.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Another good app - the one I rely on - is UltimateCG. I use Allstays for RV services (dumps, etc) and road grade info but find UCG lists far more non-commercial sites even though Allstays has gotten better over the last year.
    One thing I've found in MT is that (until yesterday) sites listed as State Parks are usually just picnic areas or fishing spots. Lots of nice Forest Service campgrounds however.
    What route thru MT are you thinking of?

• Options
    MattUTMattUT Member Posts: 4

We just returned from a week in Glacier National Park and cannot express how much we loved it. I'd highly recommend anyone in the area visit (since it is so far out of the way). It is not your typical, touristy National Park and is my new favorite. While there are lots of visitors, there is enough park to get lost in. We stayed in Many Glaciers Campground on the East side of the park. Most of the visitors there were in small trailers and tents (I didn't hear a single generator). About 50% of  and spots are available first-come-first-serve (arrive early).

If you plan to visit Glacier, you should be aware that trailers are not allowed on "The Road to the Sun." Also, bring your coat (it snowed on us in August), and your passport so you can visit the park on the Canadian Side.

Matt - 2013 T@b U (Silver/black), 2004 F-150

Northern, Utah

Nights in T@b - 51

States - 8

National Parks - 15

• Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    Thanks, all.  We appreciate the advice.  I think we will follow PXLated's advice and just wing it.  It's more of an adventure when you just go!
  • Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    Tom, 35 miles East of Bend is Prineville Reservoir Campground. Highly recommend. We usually wing it using the UltimateCG app and I'm a big fan of Campendium <https://www.campendium.com>.

DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    TomStephens1 - Up until MT I've had very good cell coverage. Been down here more than anywhere.
    Was in an NP campground (Glacier) and if you were on the west end of the loops, 2-Bar LTE. On the east end (roughly two city blocks) nothing, zip, zero.
    Hard to use the camping apps and websites with no coverage :-(
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.  We will check them all out!
  • Options
    Glacer NP is definetly worth the see - The two NP campgrounds close to the west entrance are good. They seem to leave the full signs up and they do fill every day but there's a lot of turn over. The days I was there, most were leaving between 7:30 and 9:00. I got there at 9:15 and had a choice of sites but it was pretty much filled again by 10:30-11:00.
    As I recall, they were first-come, first served campgrounds. Most of the NP campgrounds I've stayed in were at least half first-come.
  • Options
    Found a real nice COE campground just across the bridge south and west of Sandpoint, Idaho - Springy Point. Heavily wooded, on the lake. At the highway is a real nice lodge, restaurant, bar. Sandpoint's a nice little town. Brew pubs, etc downtown if your into that.
    There were just two of us with campers a one tenter there when I went thru. I stayed in site #33.
  • Options
    Took a real nice route from Glacier to Sandpoint - 2 out of Kalispell west to 56 just east of Troy, south to 200, east over to Sandpoint. Some very pretty mountain lakes and scenery along that route. Very spotty cell coverage though. Some Forest Service campgrounds on those lakes if you don't mind being out of contact.
  • Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    Go to the east side of Glacier.  Just drive around the outside of the park to get there. Campsites way less crowded.  Some itty bitty towns.  You can still drive the Sun Road and back, or better yet ride one of the shuttles so the usual driver can gawk too.  Then go up to Waterton.  It's amazing, clean, friendly.
    2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky
  • Options
    Took that route around just to look - not nearly as nice a views though. Lots of forest fire burn on that end of the Sun Road around St Mary lake. 49 north of East Glacier was in kind of rough shape. Lots of tent campers, back packers over then and the hostel seemed full.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited September 2016
    Just outside the west entrance of Glacier NP is Glacier Campground.  A large, private, family run place with nice sites and clean facilities.  Good rates and a helpful, friendly staff - even a teardrop trailer picture in their website.   A very convenient base for exploring the park.  My favorite NP.
    Have fun!
    Bob

• Options
    KathKath Member Posts: 8
    If you're taking the big loop up into BC - Alberta - through Waterton International Peace Park and down through the US part of GLAC, and you find yourself needing to camp in or around Eureka, Montana - there is a DARLING little RV park at the south end of town - across the street from the Historical Village - behind the new Town Hall. There are maybe 5 sites and I've never seen it full.

And. . . at the end of Douglas Hill Road is a really nice, forested USDA FS campground. It's on the shores of Lake Koocanusa. You can also drive out into the wide open BIG SKY and park anywhere you want - out in the grasses along the shore.

There's also a really nice campground on the other side of the Tobacco River, on the shores of Lake Koocanusa, called Rexford Bench. It is really, really nice. Very quiet.

The above 2 are located on the Kootenai National Forest. The little RV park, in town, is offered by the Town of Eureka, MT.

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!
    KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!

2015 T@B M@X S. . . he, she will name itself on the next trip. . .
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, When you were outside Sandpoint, did you check out Lake Pend'Oreille? So deep it was used for testing submarines in WWII. Really beautiful area all around there. Lots of good camping areas if you don't mind being out of touch.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Ya, spent a couple days down there but had rain on both. There's a FS campground on a lake just north and east - curviest, switchback road I've ever been on.
    Very busy place, more like being in a metro area. Liked Sandpoint better, nice little town, great campground.
    My father did his Navy basic training out there. I believe it was the only inland Navy base in the country.
  • Options
    PXL, Yup, only one I know of.  Sandpoint is a great little town, lots of things to do there. Sorry you found a place that was so busy.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    PXL, On another note, I'm pretty sure I've traveled most of the logging roads in that whole area as when I was younger that was my territory changing logging tires, and skidder tires. Lots of the roads out that way make Lombard street in San Francisco look like a super highway! Try driving a boom truck with 8 skidder tires filled with calcium chloride and water over those roads in the winter when it's slick. The term RODEO comes to mind! The plus side is that I found a lot of great camping areas off those roads though. ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Once I make it as far as Glacier NP I cant resist going further north.  Banff, Radium Hot Springs, Lake Louise,  Jasper and numerous spots along the Icefields Highway are among my favorite places for spectacular scenery.  It's a long haul from WNY but it keeps drawing me back.
    If your on an adventure without specific goals, this would definitely be worth consideration.  I have some favorite routes and places but will skip those details unless there is further inquiry.
    Have Fun!!
    Bob

• Options
    ericnliz - Sandpoint was fine. Coeur d'Alene was the busy, busy, busy, traffic, traffic, traffic area.
  • Options
    rfuss928 - They were predicting snow at higher elevations, I'm allergic so maybe next time earlier in the season.
  • Options
    PXL, Does the white stuff make 'ya freeze, or look like a snowman? 
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    When we travel, serendipity rules!
    "Goals are deceptive – the unaimed arrow never misses"
    Be safe
    Have fun!
    Bob

• Options
    Last winter in MN was 27 days of -10 or below with lots of snow...Gave me snow/cold allergies. I break out in hives. But, I must say, extreme heat/humidity is no better in my book - Looking for all things moderate temp wise.
  • Options
    PXL, Be safe and stay warm!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VeronicaVeronica Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2016
    @TomStephens1. I agree that MT and ID are beautiful. But I just got back from spending time in the Canadian Rockies, and if you have time, it's a definite must do. I'm already dreaming of going back next year or the year after. Here are some persuasive photos as soon as I can resize them. I don't think they loaded. 
    First T@b trip August 15-Sept??, 2016.
    Nights in T@b: 23 (so far)
    States visited (including driving through): SC, NC, TN, KY, OH, IN, IL, WI, MN, ND, MT, AB (Alberta, Canada), MT, WY, SD and counting. 

• Options
    j_ntabownersj_ntabowners Member Posts: 133
    This summer my wife and I spent a week traveling around the Dillon MT area.  Took Hwy 278 out of Dillon and took several days to make our way west and north to Drummond.  The route took us though the Big Hole valley. It was just after the 4th of July holiday and we stopped at several FS campgrounds, we were surprised at the lack of people. most were empty. Beautiful country lots to see and do around there.  We are planning to go back again.

Jim & Nadine 2015 T@b Max S pulled by 2016 KIA Sorento - East Wenatchee, Wa

States Visited Map