Options

Glycol level

I wanted to check the glycol level in our 2016 Tab. The tank is apparently behind the bed . The wooden partition must be removed in order to see the tank. There does not appear to be an easy way to do this and since I will soon be 82 I don't think I want to tackle this. I would like to know what others done about this. Thanks for any comments/ suggestions

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Leo,

Can you post up a photo of your rear shelf area?  What I did was pull the rear panel out, cut off part of the corner area (created a small door) where the glycol tank is and routed (rounded off) the edges off to create a small door.  I also cut a small hole in it to create a grab point and routed the hole smooth too.  I then installed a small piece of one-bye material across the opening to support the remaining shelf piece and the door.  I am now able to open just the corner where the tank is at and it is much simpler to see the tank and refill as needed when necessary.  Some folks have also marked the fill lines on the tank with a black sharpie style marking pen to allow for an easier means of monitoring and seeing the glycol level in the tank.  

Hope that helps!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There is one or two square drive screws holding the shelf in place. Feel just behind the front edge for the screws.

If you hold a small mirror of to the left side of the reservoir , you'll be able to see the markings. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2016
    Leo - It's fairly easy to remove that shelf if you can find/remove those 2/3 screws Verna mentions. On mine (2015) it's fairly easy to see the tank/level once the shelf is out.

As a side note, even though I've used the Alde alot over two years, I've only had to add fluid twice and even then, it wasn't much.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Mike, Can you post a photo of the mod you made. I'm not soon to be 82 like Leo34, but do have physical limitations that make it very difficult to reach the glycol tank. I've done it once, and I don't think I want to have quite that much fun again!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Try a search on the rear shelf - there've been a few pics posted of various mods.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ericnliz said:
    Mike, Can you post a photo of the mod you made. I'm not soon to be 82 like Leo34, but do have physical limitations that make it very difficult to reach the glycol tank. I've done it once, and I don't think I want to have quite that much fun again!
    My trailer is parked about 3 miles from the house right now at Barnfest 2016, but I will take some photos this weekend and post them up and when I bring it back home on Sunday.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks Mike!
    PXL, I'll give that a try. Thought I'd looked through all the mods, but perhaps I missed one!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    PXL, just an update, looked and nothing was there like Mike described. I tried!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options

@ericnliz. I used a 3/4" piece of birch plywood for my cleat about 2"x4" or so, and screwed it to the rear wooden part behind the shelf. The cleat is at the same level as the middle support for the shelf and the same level as the piece of wood on the outside wall next to the reservoir.  I used 1 1/4" long screws, but check to make sure that length will work for your T@B. 

I cut off enough of the shelf so I could get to the reservoir and to be able to fill it, 10" long or so. I drilled a 1" hole in the corner of the shelf so I could easily lift it out of shelf area.

I found I could hold a mirror next to my cleat so I could check the glycol level easier. Be sure to use a Sharpie to highlight the level indicators on the reservoir and rubb off the excess ink. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    If you are Sharpie impaired or have shaky hands like I do (hereditary), you can start over with Sharpie marking with a little rubbing alcohol and paper towel :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Verna, Did you section the whole back shelf like that? I'll have to do my yoga moves again, and permanently remove the screws holding the shelf down to see if my bottle for the glycol is in the same position as yours. I've already marked it with a Sharpie [but thanks for the info anyway].
    Ratkity, I already knew that trick with the rubbing alcohol. I have a bottle in my shop, and one in the garage, I use it for all kinds of oops situations! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @ericnliz, yes, I did cut my shelf into 4 pieces and I did put cleats on the back wall at each cut.  The front of the shelf has a cleat running the full length of the board.

I will tell you that right now with all of the humidity, my shelves do not need the two screws to keep them down.  (In fact, I never did put them back after the first time I removed them.) There were only a couple of times in the low humidity Southwest when any of the shelf pieces moved, and that was due to super rough roads. 

I keep a spray spray bottle of rubbing alcohol in the T@B. It has so many uses, but especially for cuts and scrapes. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna, Thanks for the info. The two screws are going in the garage with the table! 
    Spokane, Wa.