Options

Battery Monitoring Using Trimetric 2030 A or RV 2010 DM T@B with Bathroom (or Victron BVM 700)

FuzzyYanniFuzzyYanni Member Posts: 111
Has anyone installed the Trimetric 2020-2030 A variant (as opposed to the RV Variant)?

I like the idea of a flush installation but I'm not sure there is enough room behind the tiny bathroom wall to perform a flush installation.  
Has anyone accomplished this?

http://www.bestconverter.com/Trimetric-2030A-Battery-System-Monitor-_p_617.html
"I know one thing, I know nothing."

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    A few of us installed the BVM 200 which is flush mount. I have an Outback with shower and put it directly over the Alde controller. Followed Jenn's lead.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I found the BVM 700 - is that it?
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=51924# 

Looks interesting, any pros/cons compared to the Trimetric? I searched for BVM 200 in these forums and could not find anything. A link to a post or anything related would be appreciated.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2016
    I'm surprised at the price of these things.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Yep - BVM 700 with the optional Bluetooth dongle.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited August 2016
    PXLated said:
    I'm surprised at the price of these things.

Yeah, they do a little more than let you know more than a rough estimate of the amps being drawn.

OutbackAZ said:
    Yep - BVM 700 with the optional Bluetooth dongle.

Love the app and Bluetooth dongle. Used it all summer long. I also love that the manufacturer continues to deliver firmware updates.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited August 2016

I'd better call the Mother Ship again if my cloaking device is starting to get faulty again. :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    They don't do enough more to justify that price - Full Stop ... Of course that's an opinion :-)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ratkity, We see you! :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    edited August 2016

The price, maybe not you T@b, but I power a lot of electronics in mine because I work from mine. I will invest a little cash if it gives me the flexibility to do work from my T@b. Others like to be able to run more electronics. My smartphone has more computing power than some of the earlier space vehicles. So, if I add my Surface Pro 3, my work tablet, and my work PC to the mix, not to mention camera batteries, It looks more and more like a space station. Throw in the cell phone booster and I have just surpassed the Mars explorer!

I am also running my fan during the night, at times, and occasionally using the TV for  a couple of hours at night. It's nice to be able to confidently use the electronics in my T@b without worrying if I am killing my batteries. An advanced battery monitor give you the ability to have a more exact idea of the state of your battery, leverage alarms to notify you if you should need to stop using electronics, analyze long term data, and do all of that from your phone. I noticed there are some folks using ham radio equipment. Others like to watch a little more TV and movies than me. Some might need to power medical equipment.

The other reason why an advanced battery monitor is useful is, that if you do the research to know what your needs are, and what your capabilities are, and can monitor those, you have more flexibility. When I was doing a lot of stop and go travel during vacation, and not getting the time to do a full solar charge and not necessarily enough drive time to fully recharge the battery, it was very nice to know exactly where my battery was and exactly how much I could do/use.

If you don't need it, it's fine.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Ratkity, We see you! :o
    Ut oh.... where's my tinfoil hat?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I have it! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Jenn, I would respectfully say in your particular instance you do need to monitor your batteries carefully, and now I more fully understand your need for a more complex monitor. Thanks for the explanation! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    ericnliz said:
    Jenn, I would respectfully say in your particular instance you do need to monitor your batteries carefully, and now I more fully understand your need for a more complex monitor. Thanks for the explanation! ;)
    People don't need to justify if they need or want it. If you follow tech, at all, the trend is towards cognitive solutions. The RV industry us pretty behind in that area.

• Options
    About the only thing I don't do or have is run the fan at night and watch TV - Otherwise, have all the same type of devices charging every day. Don't know what the TV draws but do know both the fan and the cell booster are extreme energy hogs.
  • Options
    The cell booster an energy hog too? I was looking at them and wow, they are pricey. They don't even include the tin foil hat either!!
  • Options
    Ratkity, Want your hat back?
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    No thanx @ericnliz, I had an extra one. *pouts and starts to pull out the 50# Costco heavy duty aluminum foil box and starts making extra hats* I'll have plenty of extra ones soon!!! :)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    The cell booster an energy hog too? I was looking at them and wow, they are pricey. They don't even include the tin foil hat either!!

They can run off of USB or 12v, but they are powered. They are a little

• Options
    Can someone compare / contrast with the Trimetric units? 

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    My solar charger has most of the same functions and works fine for me.  I understand both sides of the Battery monitoring debates.  Pxlated represents one side and Jenn the other.  I'm somewhere in the middle.  If you need (or want) detailed information, go for it.  However, unless your needs warrant, significant detail may not be necessary.  I've got the same electronics as Jenn (though mine is all Apple products), and the information I get from my Tracer MPPT provides solar charging capablilies and it doubles offering details on status and usage.  My 2 cents.   
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I love the battery monitors in general because they give your battery an accurate "gas gauge" by displaying the battery's true capacity in percent from 0-100.  Completely eliminates the guess work on knowing how much power you've got left.  As many already know, the voltage is almost useless for knowing how much power you have unless the battery sits idle for 4 hours.  Ain't nobody got time for dat!

Now that I have the 2 golf cart batteries and a 2-night camping trip to test it all out, I couldn't imagine going back.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Can someone compare / contrast with the Trimetric units? 

I have the trimetric unit setup because I understood it the best at the time. That said, I didn't know about the Victron (sp) unit and covet this unit that a few have installed. Many more features, same degree of setup.
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    Ratkity said:

They can run off of USB or 12v, but they are powered. They are a little

My tin foil hat runs on mind power only! Oh, I think you mean the cell booster, nvm. :lol:
  • Options
    Travel day, what did I miss ;-)
  • Options
    PXL, Oh boy! :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Ratkitty - Cell booster... Now Jenn has had better luck with hers than I have so the effectiveness probably depends on where you travel. But yes, I can watch my battery monitor drop a couple tenths when I plug it in. It draws enough power that the antenna jack over time gets too hot to touch. I can probably count on my fingers the number of times it's actually boosted my signal. Most times the best it'd do is stableize my data connection. Can't say it was a total waste of money but it hasn't proved it's worth to me yet. Usually just sits in my gizmo bag unless I'm desperate.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    It looks like the phone app might win this one! Easy to understand and read battery info via bluetooth. Seems way cool to me :) 
    Has anyone used this with dual batteries in series (without mid-point voltage), if so did the 700 model work as is ?

• Options
    Now if there was something you just connected to the battery - kinda like those dongles you plug into your diagnostic port - and monitored on the phone for a reasonable price. No real need for wiring if you don't need a display mounted inside the T@B.
  • Options
    Did I mention I NEED displays everywhere?

• Options
    Did I mention I NEED displays everywhere?

Must be like my need for tin foil hats and label makers :blush: