Options

Ball Height - Measure it with or without the trailer attached?

The title says it all.  I have a new tow vehicle and with my current ball mount I measure 19.5 inches to the top of the ball without the T@B.  This vehicle has a self adjusting suspension and after I attached the T@B today and did a few laps around the neighborhood to dial in the new brake controller, I measured again with the trailer attached and found that with the T@B attached the ball mount was still still at 19.5 inches.   I assume that the recommended ball height of 16 inches is with the trailer attached.  Can anyone confirm this?  If so, then based on the fact that my current ball mount has an actual drop of 3.5 inches, I need to find a ball mount with a 7 inch drop.  Would it be better to run the ball height a little low or a little high if one can not get an exact match?

Thanks.
2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    lapowers57, I found one at Walmart that was 3 1/4" to use for my Chevy Avalanche. Finding one with a 7" drop might be a challenge. 16" with the trailer attached is correct. You have to remember that the tongue weight of the trailer is 155 lbs, not much to attach to a tow vehicle. What type of tow vehicle did you get? With a self- adjusting suspension it will be difficult to adjust any drop with just the weight of the trailer. For your last question, I would say a little high so you are not in danger of bottoming out so easy. I'm sure others will chime in soon, hang in there, solution will be on the way! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    tabasco_jimtabasco_jim Member Posts: 54
    I bought a 12" drop for my lifted Jeep. Top of ball sits at 16". Etrailer has several to choose from.
    2017 T@B Max S, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Birmingham, Al
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    The new TV is a Jeep Grand Cherokee with tha V6 and a 6200 lb factory tow package.  The old vehicle was a Ford Explorer with a straight 6 and a 3100 lb factory tow package.  Without a trailer the receiver on the Ford is 2.5 inches lower then the Jeep but as I said the Jeep doesn't sag with the trailer attached and the Ford does. 
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    Solution:  Cabelas has 25% off balls and ball mounts and a very easy return policy.  Bought the 8 and 6 inch mount and a new ball.  To my surprise the 6 inch drop mount is only 1/2 and inch to high and the 8 inch drop moun is over an inch low.  Good to go with the 6 inch drop mount.