Options

Tires - What to Get?

2»

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I think 75 mph is probably a bad idea.

On the tire brand and model issue, I have heard people say you must get trailer-rated tires. I think this is bunk. If you buy a tire with the right load rating, any road or AT tire should be fine.

What do you think?
    Trailer tires are made differently than road tires in that the sidewalls are stiffer to support vertical loads. One usually inflates them to or near their rated maximum as well, as opposed to road tires (which are rated for weight distribution for the entire vehicle.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Light truck tires are also suitable for trailer use.  In fact many new boats and RVs come with them from the factory.  The problem is, sizing starts at 16" so that excludes us.

I've heard of some new trailer rated tires that could exceed 65 mph, but I think they had to run at a higher pressure or something.  I haven't googled trailer tires in a while..
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Traction, sway, and load are the main factors according to: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451

Trailers tires are designed for trailers in their sidewalls.  Due to the constant sway, though hopefully minimal, the sidewalls need to be strengthened.  This sway heats up the tire, also weakens the sidewall.  Also there's a big difference in USA made or Chinese made quality.  See the link below.  Like most everything else in life, why not just do it right the first time.

http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/2017/02/17/goodyear-announces-american-made-trailer-tire/

2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    When you replace your tires, do you buy three tires and rotate them, or keep one of the older tires as your spare?
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I kept the original spare and replaced the two tires on the ground. The spare only has less than 200 miles on it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    T@Balong said:
    When you replace your tires, do you buy three tires and rotate them, or keep one of the older tires as your spare?
    I was just saying to Becky that we needed to get new tires for the T@Bpole and I was going to switch to radials, so I would need to get two, and she wisely reminded me that, no, I would need three.

Those Goodyear Endurance tires are looking very nice.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA