Options

Rocky Mountain National Park last week of October?

We are planning a trip to RMNP, Moraine campground, during the last week of October.  Very late for the camping season there, I realize.  Lows may be in the 20's.  

What issues will I need to be concerned with regarding water/tanks/freezing overnight?

Will the Alde keep us warm?

Any other advice for our maiden voyage in the T@B?
Fred and Nicole Willison
Tulsa, OK
2017 Tab S Max Outback silver/silver

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Freezing - It's not so much the overnight low temp, it's the duration. If it's short and it warms up, you should be ok. The lowest I've been in was 27 but there was a 30-35 mph wind. I found I had to cover the outside AC and fridge vents or there was too much cold air coming in and the Alde struggled a little. I now have vent covers I made if I need them.
    Other than that one time, I try to avoid both hot and cold.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    You might search for the mod many of us have made to the back shelf - vent holes - to allow the max heat to escape from that enclosed back radiator. And make sure your bedding doesn't cover the radiator slots.
  • Options
    fwillisonfwillison Member Posts: 35
    Good advice - I looked over the Alde system.  Seems that heat comes from radiators under each site bench (slots in the wood base).  I think maybe heat also radiates up from behind the rear bench, but I'm not sure where it comes from.  I'll search for the back shelf vent hole mod. thx.
    Fred and Nicole Willison
    Tulsa, OK
    2017 Tab S Max Outback silver/silver
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    fwilson, The bottom slots are where the radiant heat gets fresh air, the top slots are where the heat comes out the most. On the back side, the slot going all the way across at the top is where the heat comes out, that's why PXL mentioned the mod on the back shelf to allow more heat to come out. Ditto on what he said about not covering the slot in the back with bedding, blocks the heat.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There are two small square head screws holding the rear shelf in place. Carefully slide your fingers behind the front lip of the shelf to find them, and then unscrew them. You will find the fins for the Alde heat under this.

Your 2017 may have a continuous slot along the the rear wall for the heat to escape. Most of the rest of us have a slot along the front of the shelf, under the trim piece, for our heat to escape. Many of us have fashioned "vents" on the top board for the heat to escape. We have posted pictures of our vents. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Besides cold, keep an eye on travel weather...possibility of snow that time of year.  While I monitor several weather web sites, Joel Gratz (Boulder) has especially good info for Colorado:
        http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Besides cold, keep an eye on travel weather...possibility of snow that time of year.  While I monitor several weather web sites, Joel Gratz (Boulder) has especially good info for Colorado:
        http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado

I will second the site J.D. shared. Also, find out about area construction and road closures coming to and from the park. I believe they were closing the road through Thompson Canyon for permanent repairs in August.

I have camped below 20 degrees. I winterized and used tanks. The Alde kept me warm.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014