Options

Picked up T@B today, I'm like a deer in headlights.

2»

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, just plug it up and let the converter charge the battery. Be sure to pick up a battery monitor that plugs into your 12V outlet (cigarette lighter) so you can see the actual voltage of the battery.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PLUG IT IN, PLUG IT IN! Make sure the battery cut-off switch is in the "on" position. That should re-charge you okay. I would leave it like that for at least a day. Once you get it plugged in, press the battery monitor button inside by the pump switch. You should get a reading of 14.3 [if memory serves me right] to make sure you're getting a charge. After a day, disconnect from shore power, let it sit for about an hour, press the monitor switch again, you should see 12.4 to 12.7 or .8. If you do, you're good to go. You're right about not using the battery selection for the Norcold. I don't think I have EVER used that selection on mine. Good luck and post your results after you're done. I'm sure someone a little more savvy than I will chime in here as well. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Ok, Verna used her magic wand and beat me to it!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67

I use a rubber hammer on the hitch, and like Ratkity, I also either jump, or go so far as to use my butt to bump the car.  Yes, sad to say my powerful German genes have given me my own personal tow vehicle mover.  You all probably know this too, but be sure to keep fingers far, far away. Had a friend who tried to hard to mess with the hitch pin on his snowmobile trailer when it was stuck, and lost a finger in the process.  Ouchie.  Hang in there Floridaloha, you've got this!

2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    I forgot the new models have the battery monitor on the SeeLevel...I'm not used to mine yet ;). Thanks, Eric.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna, thanks.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    oops, better check my list 1st!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    FloridalohaFloridaloha Member Posts: 68
    OK, so yesterday I got a heavy duty extension cord and an adapter, this morning I hooked up the T@B for recharging so it should be good to go by tomorrow morning, I'm guessing. I don't know how to check the battery monitor yet but I'll see if I can figure that out from the instructions above.

Bought one set of lego blocks, will see if I need one more to use the stabilizers. Bought a set of wheel chocks. Bought the suggested Rhino dump hoses and got a free bottle of tank treatment with it. Could not find lithium grease, will look further, got a can of silicone spray in the meantime. Bought a cool little adapter for the 7 pin that will let me run a small appliance off the TV on that rare occasion I'll need it. Resisted buying the 7' LED palm tree. Next steps: buying the hitch lock, the right size Trimax, and making sure I know how to use the BAL and attach the wheel lug locks. Buy a set of spare fuses. Get a cover for the spare tire on the back. Is there anything like Armorall that I should spray all the tire sides with to keep them from drying out prematurely? Do you all use covers for your tires when you aren't using the T@B?

Newbie question of the day. This really is a dumb question. If I want to take a shower in the T@B, and I'm boondocking and not hooked up with a water hose, can I just pour water in the external pour spout and have it work right? Or is that just for potable water? How much should I put in? Same with the toilet, if I want to use it, how do I start it off? Do I need to pour a quantity of water in the toilet first? When do I add the chemicals? I guess I'm confused about how to get water in each of the tanks. I don't need potable water right now, just enough for a shower and to pee a few times to try out the john ;-) 

Thank you again, good people!

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    So many questions! I'll leave some for others. If you have the black Seelevel monitor to the left of the sink all you have to do is press the Batt button. The display should read 13.something if it's charging and close to 12.6 if it's charged and that trailer is disconnected. It may read a little under 11 if it's charged but you're running the fridge or water pump. 

The othet Seelevel buttons tell you how full your tanks are. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @Floridaloha, there are no dumb questions!

There are two inlets for water on the driver's side of your T@B--one to connect a hose to and one to "pour" water in so it will go into your 11 gallon fresh water tank. If you use a hose or a 4+ gallon jug, to pour water into the fresh water tank, that is water that will come out of your faucet, be used to flush your toilet and will also go into the hot water heater part of the Alde (radiant heating furnace and water heater under your driver's side sofa seat. You will also need to turn on the water pump on your SeeLevel gauge screen next to the sink. 

If you are connected to city water, the fresh water tank does not get filled, you don't use the water pump and it's magic!  Not really, but much simpler. 

You should always put toilet treatment in the toilet, followed by about a gallon of water to allow it to start working after you dump your black water tank (only from the toilet). (Read the instruction on your treatment.) After you have.....  ahhh "made a liquid or other deposit" in the toilet, pull the lever on the right side of the toilet towards you. This causes water to flow into the toilet, the opening to slide open and it allows all waste to go into the black tank. Just remember, your black tank is about 8 gallons. My 6 gallons last me about a week, just myself. 

And remember, anything that goes into the tanks will need to be disposed of properly. You will need to find an RV dump to get rid of it. 

Now, an important suggestion, while you're sitting in the T@B enjoying your new little vacation home, do some reading on the forum. Pick a category on the right and start reading. Write down your questions and further reading might answer them. There's even someone who wrote up how to dump your waste tanks. It's amazing how much information is hidden here. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    To your water questions...When going dry camping (no hookups)...
    You fill the fresh water tank thru that external port by either pouring it in manually or with a hose. You can tell it's full as it wll back up and squirt out the little vent hole above the biggerfiller hole. It is possible to get an air bubble so it backs up when not entirely full so wait a minute and see if it will take more.
    Once full, to use either the shower, sink, or toilet, you need to turn on the water pump - on mine it's a little rocker switch on the left side of the counter (don't be alarmed if it makes a racket like it's going to explode). The pump is somewhat an energy hog so I leave it turned off when I don't need it.
    Wether you drink that water is up to you - I do, others are leery
    For the chemicals - I use the disolvable packets - I put a pack in the toilet and sink, add a half gallon of water, let it dissolve, then flush the toilet and pull the plug on the sink. I do this after each time I dump the tanks.

• Options
    Here's the Trimax I have...

• Options
    FloridalohaFloridaloha Member Posts: 68
    Thank you all so much. I think I can get started with these functions now. And yes, I will start searching the forums for answers again before posting. I did this a lot before I got the camper but I will do it again so as not to ask too many questions. I do have different things and issues popping up now than before I got the T@B. I don't want to be a pest.

Unfortunately, my model does not have the Seelevel monitors or I would not be asking about tank levels and battery readings. That would sure make things a lot easier. I don't know if it is possible to retrofit my 2016 model to have this, or if it would be worth the money. Maybe this would be a good thing to do up at the factory sometime.

Thanks, PXLated for the detailed info on how to get the various water tanks going...perfect! Thanks also, Verna, for all your good info and tips.

I have that Trimax, I just have the wrong size for my 16" tires. So I'll need to get one that fits. The hose extension looks like it could be helpful, I bought a water jug that someone recommended here, but have not tried using it yet.

Again, thank you all for your help since I got the T@B earlier this week. I know it all seems like second nature to you guys but there is a learning curve, and unfortunately my dealer didn't do the greatest job at the shakedown cruise. 

• Options
    @Floridaloha, you're not being a pest, just a new owner. I remember information better if I Find it, and take the time to process it so it makes sense. There are many questions that are asked differently but they mean the same thing.  And sometimes we don't get to your questions as quickly as you would wish we could. 

Yes, your 2016 can be retrofitted for the SeeLevel because I had it added to my 2014 at Tearstock.  Michigan Mike and Pop-T@B installed their own.

So, get a battery monitor (do a search for it and there are many different pictures from ones at Walmart or Amazon) to monitor your battery's voltage.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    If at all possible, I fill my tank with a hose with that adapter. Lifting a jug is a pain. Sometimes there's no choice though.
    Sealevel monitor - I don't have that but don't really find monitoring my tanks much of a problem. You kind of get into a camping routine - empty/dump, refill - on a schedule so your black/gray are never full and you're never out of fresh water. You can kind of just estimate timing by how much water you use for things like a shower or dishes, etc. And mostcampgrounds - even dry camping - have at least vault toilets so bathroom use might just be at night.
    Battery monitor is very useful/necessary. I just use a simple one that plugs into the aux/ligher plug above the sink...similar to this one... https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473530362&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+monitor

Here's a handy reference chart...

• Options
    PXLated said:
    To your water questions...When going dry camping (no hookups)...
    You fill the fresh water tank thru that external port by either pouring it in manually or with a hose. You can tell it's full as it wll back up and squirt out the little vent hole above the biggerfiller hole. It is possible to get an air bubble so it backs up when not entirely full so wait a minute and see if it will take more.

About how long does it take to fill the 11 gallon tank? The state park we'll be camping this weekends has no hookups, just a few spigots in the camping loops and we'll have to sit on the narrow roadway a while if we want to fill our tank.

Or would it be better to fill up at home? It's only about a 30 mile drive.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    I do this all the time--it only takes a few minutes to fill the tank with a hose. I have found if the camper's pointed downhill, I sometimes can't get the tank completely full, but it's enough to get started.

Often campgrounds will have a dedicated filling station in the trailer service area, eliminating the need to park in the narrow camp loop roadway.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    The only time I've put water in the tank was when I initially sanitized it, and that seemed to take forever. I've gotten spoiled by having hot running water for dish and clothes washing, even though we don't shower in the T@B and usually don't use the toilet.
  • Options
    Doesn't take long. Many federal campgrounds don't have spigots that you can hook a hose to or are too far away from where you can park, or have notices that it's for container water only. In those cases it's a back and forth between spigot and T@B filling by a container full at a time.
    I fill when I can so I'm usually travelling with topped off tanks.
    Photomon - You've gone soft :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Photomon - You've gone soft :-)
    Towards the end of our tent camping career it was hard getting DH to go. Now with the T@B he is happy to go camping - as long as we have 30A service at our site. 
  • Options
    So the hubby is the softy :-)
  • Options
    fuzzypinkbunnyfuzzypinkbunny Member Posts: 24
    We were like deer in headlights too when we bought our T@B on a semi-whim last month. The most important thing we learned was about battery management from this board. And then the best advice we got was to just get out there and try it out! My only regret is that we are out of vacation time for the year so we can't get out camping as much as I want to. I've been hanging out in the T@B in the driveway on weekends. :) 
    Live. Travel. Eat. Repeat. 
    2013 Orange & Grey T@B CS-S: Villa Ar@ncia
    Follow my travels on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cookwithkerrydotcom/
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited September 2016
    For filling from a jug/bucket/collapsible container I use a super siphon.  Do not get knock-offs, buy the original.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Siphon-Hose-Pack/dp/B000ZORJ1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473861560&sr=8-1&keywords=super+siphon

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    OR, you can block the wheels, secure the hitch wheel and remove the ball and lift from the tv-much easier to get the darn ball from the coupling. THEN, grease the silly thing! Desperate times call for desperate measures.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner