Options

Norcold 3-way won't work...please advise

My Norcold 3-way won't work on propane, battery, or shore power. The countertop gets warm when I leave it on the shore power setting; but it won't get cool.  Please advise.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Need more details... Don't think the countertop would get warm/hot if something isn't working.
    Start with what you're specifically doing...
    Do same with propane...
    Step-by-step.
  • Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    I can get the propane green light to turn on...but the refrigerator won't get even a bit cool after 2 hours.
    When I turned the switch to the battery icon, the converter fan turns on...but the refrigerator won't get even a bit cool after 2 hours.
    When I turned the switch to the shore power icon, the refrigerator won't get even a bit cool after 5 hours; however, the countertop right above the refrigerator gets warm.

The refrigerator worked fine a few weeks ago.  I leave the TAB plugged in to shore power when at home during the summer months.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Since the counter gets warm on propane, try that overnight or for 24 hrs and see what happens. These things take a long time to get to temp from a dead start. Put a bottle of water or thermometer in there so you have something to touch or get and idea if anything's happening.
    From other threads, 2-5 hrs isn't enough time.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    While a 24 hr test is in order, it almost sounds like the heat exchanging of the ammonia-base isn't doing its job - a repair job that needs to be done at a reputable dealer. I hope your unit doesn't have to be replaced! Best of luck to you! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    There are some troubleshooting steps on page 19 of the service manual when the fridge won't cool in any of the 3 modes. A couple things you can check, if those don't help you may need to get it serviced. Check the ventilation opening under the fridge and make sure it isn't blocked, and make sure the trailer is level.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2016
    I agree with the above, and keep in mind that the Tab's door blocks the waste-heat vent when it's latched/propped open. 
    I had that problem once, and found that closing the Tab door fixed it.
    Do you have the 3-way additional accessory exhaust fan installed?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    M brother was having that same issue - didn't feel like it was getting cold. Gave him the same advice and sure enough, cold and ready to go the next day ... Hoping your's turn out to be that simple.
  • Options
    I always put 3 large zip lock bags of ice (that I collected from my home fridge ice maker over a couple of days) in there for the trip to my destination with the fridge in battery mode with it hooked to the tow vehicle and that seems to give it just enough jump start to start getting cold on its own in about a 3 hour trip. 
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Like robyn769, we put a frozen gallon jug of water in the fridge the night before we go on a trip...usually stays frozen (and keeps the fridge around 40) for days.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...