Options

Norcold exhaust fan installation

Looking for pointers on installation of the exhaust fan kit which I just received from the factory for my 2014 S Max.  Installation instruction diagrams seem pretty clear and I plan to do this myself as my dealer is 5 hrs away.  I have 2 questions re. the install though.    
1. What is the easiest way to detach and remove the existing vent after unscrewing it without damaging the surface of the trailer given the amount of caulking present?
2. What type of caulk should I use when attaching the new exhaust fan vent?

Comments

• Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    edited September 2016
    Kdoc, I used a plastic putty knife to gently pry the grate loose. They are available most anywhere that sells paint. According to Ed Kaufman, you can use any good quality silicone caulk.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,445
    Mine was only sealed with a little bead of silicone caulking, which I easily scraped off once the vent was popped out. I replaced it with the same.

However, somebody else posted recently that their vent was sealed in place with some much more tenacious goop. I'm not sure how they ultimately dealt with removing and replacing that stuff.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I used a small, white plastic putty knife from HomeDepot to break the bead of caulk between the propane stove and countertop.  Worked great without scratching.  Might work equally well on the plastic vent.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.