Options

Where is the Alde thermostat?

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
Allegedly the Alde is thermostatically controlled so the cabin heat comes on at a set temperature. Anyone know where that thermostat might be in a T@B?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Photomom, The thermostat is the same one you use for the Alde unit you use for your hot water. Did you get the Alde manual with your trailer? If so, it tells you how to set the temperature. If not, there is a thread here somewhere that tells you how, it's under one of the Alde manual threads. Sorry I don't remember which one. In your trailer, you should have the digital thermostat, and it's really easy to set.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I think she is asking where is the sensor the Alde uses to determine temperature?  Right, Photomom?  I have the same question.  I know you can adjust to allow for an erroneous read, e.g. the Alde thermostat says it's 80*, but a known-good thermometer says it's 75*, but I'd like to know where the sensor is...if it's not in the Alde thermostat.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I'd bet a nickel it's in the thermostat itself. That's how they work in a house--can't see why it would be different in an RV.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The sensor is in the thermostat. I used a known accurate thermometer next to the thermostat and recalculated the Alde for 4* less than it had been showing (you 'll have to go through the menu to find that).

How am I positive it is in the thermostat?. Late March at City of Rocks SP in NM, that cold west wind was blowing cold 30* air through the A/C unit vent right onto the thermostat. It said it was 58* inside, but the thermostat next to me said 72*.  I put cling Saran Wrap on the outside of the A/C vent and the breeze stopped coming in. The temp settled down to 68* where I wanted it for sleeping. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    It sounds like it is essentially inside the wall then. Will try to calibrate. Expect mid 40s at night this weekend. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Photomom, dunno which controller you have, but the analog controller's sensor is within the adjustment knob (the green thermistor showing in the photo below). The knob is vented so air will circulate through it.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I have this one and there is no visible opening of any kind. It's a mystery.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2016
    Hmmm! That's odd. I'd love to know what you figure out. Didn't I also see some reference to terminals on your controller for an optional external sensor? (Might be my imagination - happens a lot)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Verna said:
    The sensor is in the thermostat. I used a known accurate thermometer next to the thermostat and recalculated the Alde for 4* less than it had been showing (you 'll have to go through the menu to find that).

How am I positive it is in the thermostat?. Late March at City of Rocks SP in NM, that cold west wind was blowing cold 30* air through the A/C unit vent right onto the thermostat. It said it was 58* inside, but the thermostat next to me said 72*.  I put cling Saran Wrap on the outside of the A/C vent and the breeze stopped coming in. The temp settled down to 68* where I wanted it for sleeping. 

Thanks, Verna.  I need to calibrate mine.  It's usually showing warmer than I feel it really is.
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    I think the temperature it shows on the screen I posted is your desired temperature and not your actual room temp. I will have to look at the manual and hopefully find out if there is a screen that shows room temp. 
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    My screen shows 68 because I fiddled with it. It usually shows 70 even if my acurite thermometer reads 95. 
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    On our last trip out we were sitting in our T@B feeling a bit cool.  The temperature inside I would guess was 60-65.  The reading on the Aldi screen said 72.  We Knew that was not correct.  I remembered that the run from under driver side settee was open so the heat from the Aldi was running under the settee and up the wall.  I stuffed some bags in the wall and after a few minutes the temp on the Aldi screen came down and the heat came on.  I plan to get some fiberglass batting and do a more permanent job insulating the void in the wall.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    Photomom said:
    I think the temperature it shows on the screen I posted is your desired temperature and not your actual room temp. I will have to look at the manual and hopefully find out if there is a screen that shows room temp. 
    Press the menu button and it should cycle to a screen with the current temp...unless the thermostat has been set to black the screen out.  

• Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    @Photomom I have the same control panel as you. I'm trying to find out the same answer because although you can adjust the "off set" setting for inaccuracy, I find the actual reading from a room thermometer I've carried lately is completely different at times, both warmer and colder and I have to keep readjusting for the heater to go off and on.
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Verna said:

Ah, yes -- wind season in SW New Mexico. They should have let you park T@B back among the hoodoos!

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @ReenieG..I was adjusting it on the control panel and then I decided that I'd just turn the heat up a bit more..ours is about 5* off...according to my thermometer/hygrometer...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Yep...it's just a number. Comfortable is comfortable. Actual number is really not all that important...as long as it's within a few degrees one way or the other.

Found if I set the Alde at 74 at night, I'm good. The fact that its not 72 doesn't really matter to me. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop