Options

Compressor size needed for winterizing?

razntwnrazntwn Member Posts: 26
looking to self winterize and need to buy compressor; what sizes have people used?  

Is 3 gallon, 1HP, at 3 CFM @ 40psi enough so you don't need to cycle tank over and over and waste time?

what have people used to do efficiently?

Comments

• Options
    R&BR&B Member Posts: 16
    I use a bicycle tire pump with pressure gage. Pump to about 45lbs. 
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I have a 1.5 gal portable compressor (I do a lot cabinet/wood work) and it works fine...cycles a few times, but there isn't that much volume to purge.  One thing I learned is to tilt the T@B to the left (port) for drainage/purging, since the FW tank and Alde/HW/CW drains are on that side.  Coupled with pink stuff in the traps (and black/gray gate valves), we did fine through a pretty long & cold winter.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Thanks for the info; looks like small portable is fine which makes it more affordable for me; thanks for the hint to lean port side too.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    R&B said:
    Even though it is a small system, that would still take an awful lot of pumping.

A small compressor will do the job, you only want about 25 PSI.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Cyclonic said:
    R&B said:
    Even though it is a small system, that would still take an awful lot of pumping.

I used a manual bicycle pump at midnight a few days after I got back from AZ. I put it off until the last minute and didn't want to disturb the neighbor's. It really wasn't that hard. I'd pump then go dry the sink, pump more, dry the sink, until no more water came out of the sink faucet. It took me less than 30 minutes for everything. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    Cyclonic said:
    R&B said:

I used a manual bicycle pump at midnight a few days after I got back from AZ. I put it off until the last minute and didn't want to disturb the neighbor's. It really wasn't that hard. I'd pump then go dry the sink, pump more, dry the sink, until no more water came out of the sink faucet. It took me less than 30 minutes for everything. 

I have also used a bike pump. Not too bad.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    R&BR&B Member Posts: 16
    Pretty simple actually. A few pumps to pressurize the system.  Do this a few cycles and you're done. Cheap and simple. 
  • Options
    I'll give it a try before buying a compressor but that means no new tool  :s

thanks all.
    rey
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    razntwn, Aw, go buy a compressor anyway, it will make 'ya feel better! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I use a modified garden sprayer. There's a post on it somewhere where it shows the mod to the hose to fit the city water intake. I think if I full-timed it, I'd just carry a small compressor. However, if I full-timed it, I'd travel a-la PXL-style and just head to warmer campsites! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)