Anyone add additional 110 volt or USB outlets to their T@B?

Hello everyone - my first posting here:

We have a 2006 Dutchman (Thor) clamshell T@B.  We took it to Emporia, KS this past weekend with good results, even in heavy rain.  Saturday night I found myself wanting some entertainment since the local radio stations are primarily C&W which does not appeal to us.  (Remembered later, that I wired the Jensen radio for an auxiliary input of my I-Pod.)  So today, while cleaning the T@B I attached the I-Pod to the Jensen and it worked fine, however, it drains the I-Pod battery fairly fast. 

So, I think I need to add more convenient 110 or 12V outlets in the cabin for recharging purposes, maybe even a dedicated USB outlet station.

Has anyone done this or attempted this?  If so, would like to hear about your experience and any tips, tricks, or traps you may share.

Also, I'm into cast iron cooking utensils, especially using the vintage iron such as Wagner or Griswald when I can find them.  We have had fun sharing cobbler cooked in the dutch oven with the KOA hosts in Cripple Creek, CO several years ago.

As a side note, we too have had the hatch leak problem and ruined counter tops.  I did a complete gut of the galley this July and August and replaced the counter tops and the side material with matching formica.  Also had to replace the floor under the cabinets.  Did not have to replace the cabinets.  Glad to report the leak is no longer!!!!

John

John & Cheryl
2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
Edmond, OK

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Not sure about adding 110 outlets but know for sure others have added more USB outlets -  think they tapped into the reading lights. Try searching "USB Outlets" (search is in upper right). In the thread I remember there were pics of the outlets and a discussion about installing.
  • cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    PXL:
    Will do.  Thanks for the info.
    John & Cheryl
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • kidwarekidware Member Posts: 13
    I
    I replaced the outlet over the stove with one that has two AC plugs and two USB ports (got the outlet at Lowe's) and added a shelf from IKEA to hold stuff.
    Lou in Seattle
    2012 LG T@B towed with 2004 Suburban
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    If you're familiar with putting a 120V outlet in a house, adding one to the T@B would work the same way. The easiest thing would be to extend a cable from an existing outlet box. I would probably avoid tapping into a dedicated circuit that serves something like a water heater. I'm not sure how the older DM T@Bs were equipped, so I can't comment more specifically.
    2015 T@B S
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited September 2016
    I added power to my closet in my 2007 Clamshell the "redneck" way. I plugged a power strip into the plug under the bench seat and velcroed that to the bench seat, so I have several outlets there, then from the power strip, I plugged in a heavy duty flat "tan" extension cord and ran it along the floor just below the coolcat, (holding it still with plastic clips) drilled a large hole into the front cabinet to run the extension cord, then drilled another large hole from that little side cubby into the compartment under the closet where the battery is, then a third large hole in the bottom shelf of the closet. I run the heavy extension cord through those holes up into the closet, then I have another power strip velcroed to the the inside wall of the closet. I did that in the early days of T@B ownership. (I did get hole covers to manage the cord)

If I were to do it over now, I would run a piece of electrical wire from the outlet under the bench seat, through the coolcat cabinet into the closet and add another outlet.

I did run power to under my kitchen sink by tapping into the outlet under the bench, then drilling a hole through the back wall, then installing an outlet under the sink. I use that outlet for my instant hot water.

Edited to add, I DO NOT USE all of those outlets from the two power strips at the same time. I would have just plugged in the heavy extension cord to the outlet, BUT hubby's CPAP and the extension cord could not plug into the outlet under the bench at the same time, so that's why the power strip. For the plugs in the closet power strip, the only thing plugged in there is the television and a couple of phone chargers.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    Carol:
    Thanks for the ideas.  Checked the box under the driver side bench seat and was able to route a wire from it over the top of the cool-cat into the closet and then thru an existing hole into the little compartment in the front between the closet and the middle storage compartment.  I already have my master 12v cutoff switch installed in that space close to the floor, so I will place the additional 110v outlet and a 4-usb outlet toward the top of that space - should be easy to access.  (All connected to the original GFCI.)

Watch out for the metal screen at the top of the cool-cat - it has some VERY sharp edges - ask me how I know!

Thanks again,
    John
    John & Cheryl
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
    Just finished the installation and testing and now have two additional 110v outlets and 4 usb charging ports.  Just for grins and giggles, plugged 4 usb electronic items into the ports and the levitron unit detected and charged all just fine.
    John & Cheryl
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    edited November 2016
    kidware said:

I replaced the outlet over the stove with one that has two AC plugs and two USB ports (got the outlet at Lowe's) and added a shelf from IKEA to hold stuff.
    @kidware - When you mounted the Ikea shelf/spice rack, did you have to use wall anchors? I want to add this shelf and it looks like it matches the decor perfectly (I too have stainless steel sink area). 
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    I'm looking to add a USB to the 110 outlet in the (T@B 400) bathroom. There's one in the bedroom cubby that has two 110 and two USB outlets. The Bathroom is a GFCI, while I think the bed cubby is not. Here's a pic of what I've got - my toothbrush can charge by USB, so I'd like to save the space that the transformer takes up. Do you think this possible, keep the GFCI and add a USB port?

2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    Wonderful! I think that might work, there is room for the extra bottom bit. Thank you!  :)
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
    Amazonica said:
    Wonderful! I think that might work, there is room for the extra bottom bit. Thank you!  :)
    You could also put it upside down with the ports facing out instead of towards the wall.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I installed an outdoor (marine) 12V 'cigarette lighter' outlet that works well.

I've wanted to put a 110Vac outlet outdoors too, but haven't been able to locate a receptacle cover that would handle the wind and rain.

Anyone know of one?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ChanW, look for marine ones on Amazon. There’s quite a few.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Here's a picture showing the one that came stock on our 2019, just below the graphic. Looks like what you'd use in a residential application. @Verna is probably more correct to suggest looking for a marine version though...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
    edited January 2020
    Thanks @CrabTab.
    I did find lots of residential models, but wasn't sure how well they'd handle rain at 60mph. I thought there might be something that was designed for it in the marine or RV world. 
    Will check etrailer and Amazon again, thanks @Verna.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • gregndebgregndeb Member Posts: 31
    I didn't see this answered, but if wanting extra USB outlets, get ones designed to run off 12 Volts.  That way you can charge your phone, etc. when boondocking.  If you get a USB combo outlet that runs off 110 Volts, you'll need shore power to charge your USB stuff.
    T@B: 2018 320-CS Max
    TV: 2017 Toyota Highlander
    edited January 2020
    The problem I've seen with USB ports that are powered off 12v (cigarette lighters, for example) is that they draw power even when not being used.

Not sure if that applies to all of them, but you'd want to confirm that, for battery conservation. Or maybe put a switch in line.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    ChanW said:
    The problem I've seen with USB ports that are powered off 12v (cigarette lighters, for example) is that they draw power even when not being used.

Not sure if that applies to all of them, but you'd want to confirm that, for battery conservation. Or maybe put a switch in line.
    I suppose the cigarette lighter adapter style usb outlets draw a little to run the little led indicator lights but how much draw are we talking? And you can always pull them out when not in use. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    That why I prefer the cig lighter type, because they can be pulled. I don't remember now how much, but I was surprised at the draw. The electronics themselves draw power, even without an indicator LED.
    Marceline said:
    ChanW said:

I suppose the cigarette lighter adapter style usb outlets draw a little to run the little led indicator lights but how much draw are we talking? And you can always pull them out when not in use. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya