Options

Extensions for gray and black tank valves - Outback platform

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
We have only dumped our gray and black tanks a couple times and it is very difficult to remove the covers, especially the black tank cover. We have the outback platform with bins bolted on and I practically have to crawl under the platform to open that valve.

If you use the extensions, I assume you leave them on all the time? Would I need to secure them to something (the platform?) so they don't move or fall off? What keeps them from twisting off when you twist the sewer hose to remove it?

Finally, can someone who's done this tell me EXACTLY what I need to get?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    KeltdubhKeltdubh Member Posts: 54
    I have this extension on my gray water outlet.  (Have Q model T@B, so I don't have black water.)  It locks into place and stays firmly there.  You take the cap off of the original outlet and place it on the end of this one.  Hope this helps.

Camco Sewer Hose Adapter
    Ed & Tea
    Linden, VA
    2016 T@B Q Max Outback Package - 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Shenandoah Valley T@BBERS
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    This is what I ended up doing. I added a 5" extension to the gray outlet to bring the outlet to the front of the platform. I added a 90 degree elbow and a 5" extension to the black water outlet so we don't have to reach under the platform. Both are now accessible without getting down on the ground. All of these parts are clear Valterra parts from Amazon. I didn't like the look of the orange Camco ones.

I also found these fantastic caps on Amazon, also Valterra. They have handles on them so they are much easier to turn to put them on or take them off.

• Options
    What on earth am I going to do this winter when I don't have the T@B to do mods to?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Looks good, @Photomom. I especially like the handles. Amazon here I come after I put two more screws in place.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    The caps are these. I like the hose connection for the gray tank but didn't see a cap without it for the black tank. A little pricy but there was this one time I literally wasn't able to remove the gray tank cap and ended up driving home and dumping it in the driveway. Unless you have really strong hands the caps are hard to turn without the handles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006MRR2Q
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Don't you still have to crawl under to open the grey valve?  Or can you do it by feel from the space between the platform and front of the trailer?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Why not buy a waste valve extension?  Lots of different lengths and different operation functions.
  • Options
    jdargis said:
    Why not buy a waste valve extension?  Lots of different lengths and different operation functions.
    Is that something different than these?
  • Options

OutbackAZ said:
    Don't you still have to crawl under to open the grey valve?  Or can you do it by feel from the space between the platform and front of the trailer?
    I can reach those okay, the problem was getting under there far enough to apply sufficient force to the caps.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Sorry, should have stated as dump valve handle extensions.
  • Options
    jdargis said:
    Sorry, should have stated as dump valve handle extensions.
    Oh, cool, didn't know those existed. We'll try things out this weekend and keep those in mind.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Photomom said:

This is what I ended up doing. I added a 5" extension to the gray outlet to bring the outlet to the front of the platform. I added a 90 degree elbow and a 5" extension to the black water outlet so we don't have to reach under the platform. Both are now accessible without getting down on the ground. All of these parts are clear Valterra parts from Amazon. I didn't like the look of the orange Camco ones.

I also found these fantastic caps on Amazon, also Valterra. They have handles on them so they are much easier to turn to put them on or take them off.

@Photomom do you leave those extensions on all of the time? 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2017
    I lost a gray water section just ahead of the valve somewhere up near Sante Fe, NM a month ago, has anyone found it????  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

I lost a gray water section just ahead of the valve somewhere up near Sante Fe, NM a month ago, has anyone found it????  

There's some place where lost caps, valve pieces and some escaped hoses congregate and have parties. I have no idea where this is, but I suspect there's a lot of them out there!! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Photomom, I like those caps!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    Photomom... Would you kindly share the Amazon order numbers, please.  I have an action packer bolted to that side of the platform and can't reach the outlets.  Thank you in advance.
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • Options
    SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    Photomom... please disregard.  I found what I needed.
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I have thought if left on permanently you might want to use either a zip the it hose clamp or other wire to help it from dragging or hanging. Not to say that you still wouldn't have lost your' s.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I think I've got an idea where it might be (Cottonwood campground just north of Santa Fe, NM) but it was hard enough getting back into their sites and when I dumped the tanks I suddenly noticed that the gray water pipe beyond the valve was gone!  I'm thinking it is somewhere back in the hilly portion of the campground.....  Oh well, onward!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ