Options

Dead bolt

marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
edited October 2016 in Tips & Tricks

So finished the 2nd shakedown trip before making an extended trip in a couple of weeks. Everything went really smooth with the exception of one curiosity. I went to lock us in but the dead bolt wouldn't latch. It seemed to be hitting something. Upon investigation, I noticed that it was hitting about an 1/8 inch low on the striker plate. Also curious, that portion of the striker plate was bent inward as though it had been hitting for quite some time. Fiddled and fussed with it for about an hour with no success. Then I went back in figuring I'd leave it for morning but decided to try one more time and it slipped in like butter. It was a little snug and bindy Sunday afternoon, but worked.

So this isn't uncommon round here when the weather changes and I figured I'd just file it down a bit; but before I do that, I'm wondering if there might be extenuating circumstances. I can't imagine that, with the size footprint of the T@B, that level would have anything to do with it although I was perfectly level at the time. The door seemed fine too.

Before I file it - which is no big thing - anyone have any other thoughts?

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I get that every once in awhile - The T@B has a certain amount of flex to it so even when leveled up - blocks, BAL, etc - it can be twisted just enough to affect the lock. I did at one time have to adjust the lock mechanism - the whole handle assembly...loosen screws and move.
  • Options
    That may work. I'll give that a shot. It doesn't have to move much. Thanks!!
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    I had issues with my original door. It actually fit so poorly that the factory sent me a new one. Lots of work to replace it, but it was a good type of challenge. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    Yikes! Sorry to hear that and I hope it doesn't come to that. 
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Do have an LG or Dutchman?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Me? It's a Max S. 2016. 
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    LG frames should be more than strong enough with no flex. DM frames and structure seems to be weaker. IMHO
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Dalehelman - It may not be the LG frame but I guarantee you the rest does.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I remember a thread started by ChanW mentioning a loose screw, maybe in the door frame? Causing difficulties. Others found the same, but if your TaB is new and barely used, the screws should still be factory tight. Anyway, loose screws could cause misalignment of the frame. Please note-I know right next to nothing! Judi 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Mine was new and it was a screw loose on the door handle mechanism.
  • Options
    I've been told I have a screw loose before. This time it may not be figurative. I'll gove that a look. 
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    marknjudy, Ours was still new, and the screws for the latch/ handle mechanism were loose, one, very loose. Tightening the screws would be my first course of action above everything else. If the problem persists, check to see if the rub marks are consistent, or tend to move up, or down. If that is the case, I would try what PXL did, and see if the adjustment works before filing anything down, as you might end up on the other end of the spectrum where it won't stay shut. Good luck, and let us know what works/doesn't, thanks.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    That does seem like the best and easiest solution and it makes a lot of sense. I will check it this weekend and let ya know what I find.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Funny this was just mentioned-- I had some difficulty in closing the deadbolt from the key outside for the first time on our 2014 CS.  Its happened twice now and only when it's set up with the stabilizers on our driveway.  I often crank them hard to give the camper some good stability, and perhaps it's flexing a bit more now that it has a few years and lots of miles after a busy summer.  A jiggle of the door allows the lock to engage.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Well, it wasn't a loose screw. As I investigated, I noticed that the top door hinge was/is misaligned or possibly bent forward (towards the rear of the trailer) but about a quarter inch, which is exactly how far below the striker plate opening that the deadbolt hits. As I said, it looks as if the striker plate hole has been bent downward in that location already, possibly to remedy the situation. So, after a lot of trying to figure out the best angle of attack, I bent it down just a bit more and it works perfectly. As for the door, if you look very, very closely you can tell it's slightly out of square, but not enough to be bothersome. If I didn't show you, you'd never see it. So I'm happy with my fix. It's unusual, though. The hinges are very solid and down seem easy to bend (I tried and practically picked up the trailer). And, although they screw to the door, they don't screw to the door frame. Who knows? But all is well.
  • Options
    Glad you got it working - Strange though.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree. No apparent sign of damage anywhere. Anyway, I'm happy it's working too. Thanks
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Sounds like a good fix, and as PXL said, rather unusual to have that happen. Really glad that it didn't cause any damage!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    My opinion - This is a new trailer so I would call Pleasant Valley tell them what the issue is and what you did.  I would want to address this with them during the warranty period.  They may feel this is something they want to fix under warranty.  Also I would want to make sure that this will not cause problems later.  
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    Hmmm... I'll probably take a picture of it and shoot an e-mail to them when I'm out in it this weekend. To me, it's not a real bother and it'll probably last just fine. It was weird at first because it seemed to be locking fine and then didn't; but I realized as I was working with it this weekend that I was never really locking it before as it actually locks backwards (counter clockwise) from the door lock (clockwise to lock). And when I was in the camper, I was just flipping it down until I met resistance. I only noticed it because my wife asked if I was sure it was locked and I said "Of course, I locked it" and tried to open the door to prove it... And it opened.