Options

Driving through the snow with a t@b.

Hi All,

I'll be driving over mountains and through snow this late fall to visit my sophomore daughter at Oregon State U.  I did it last November with no problem, but all that we experienced were a few snow flakes.  This year might be different.

Questions: Has anyone driven through mountainous areas requiring snow chains towing a t@b?  We have a Subaru Outback with all wheel drive so I'm not concerned about my tow vehicle, but not sure how the t@b will manage.   Additionally, will the highway patrol let me go through chain control areas?

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2016
    I thought the restriction specified "chains or 4-wheel-drive required"?

No? I may be wrong about that.

We pulled the Tab through heavy snow in (flat) southern Ontario. Didn't have a problem, but did wish we'd put snow tires on the Tab, just as a precaution. I think it'd be more likely to track better and brake better in slippery situations with snow tires.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    After driving a truck in the Pacific Northwest for some 30 years. If road conditions and laws required the use of chains on a towed vehicle. I would park until conditions improved. If a cross chain were to brake the damage to the wheel well and interior would be severe, and not worth the risk. I would find a safe place to park. Get into my trailer, turn up the heat and wait for the roads to improve.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited October 2016
    Towing *anything* in the snow, especially mountain passes, sends chills down my back.  Thankfully I don't speak from experience!  But from what I've seen....

In-town with slight (or no hills) is manageable, but down steep snowy mountain passes is another thing.  It's very easy for the T@b to get ahead of you especially if your vehicle has chains.  Before you know it you'll be sideways with the T@b swinging in front of you!

One idea is you could put chains on the T@b too (outback models only I'd say), and keep a hand on your brake controller to let the T@b do your braking down the hills.

I personally wouldn't risk it in any case, unless the roads were just slushy.  YMMV.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I was in 6" of sloppy snow coming over a pass this spring. Had the Jeep in 4-wheel drive. Luckily it was flat where I hit the snow and it disipated before I hit the steeper curvy downhill segment. Not sure I'd have proceeded down if it had continued.
    Hit some soupy sand on a gravel road once that acted just like snow/ice. The T@B was jackknifed at 30 degrees before I managed to get into 4-wheel, gun it and straighten everything out. Wasn't a good feeling to see the T@B sideways in my mirror.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    TomStephens1, I would have to agree with Dale and PXL on this one. Having lived in the Pacific Northwest my whole life, and [as dalehelman] driving truck over mountain passes and black ice, I personally would NOT chance it. It's not the going part that bothers me, it's the stopping/slowing down part. Once that trailer starts coming around on slick roads, it is very difficult to get straightened out again, not to mention that it will scare the wits out of you! Slush and black ice are the worst, snow for the most part is pretty manageable. Going across bridges that go over water even present a different type challenge even on flat ground as they become very icy from the mist of the water. As dalehelman stated above, even if you install chains on the T@B, breaking/ not having them tight enough would cause a considerable amount of damage to your trailer. These things being said, what ever you choose to do, please be careful!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Be interesting to hear from snowmobilers on this subject.  We live in WI, I don't snowmobile, but they are hauling their sleds on trailers, all the time.  They are on the road, dry or snow covered.  I would imagine they would have some helpful hints.  I have never seen them run chains on a trailer.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    jdargis, I haven't seen too many here on trailers, usually in the beds of a pick-ups. The other thing would be a lot lower center of gravity as opposed to towing a T@B. Sounds funny, but makes a lot of difference when you get out of shape downhill. Would be interesting to hear their point of view on the subject though.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Most hauled on trailers here, usually 2 or 4 sled trailer.  It's amazing when they place them sideways and put 6 or more on a trailer.  Snowmobile trailers are  big market here.
  • Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    I can speak to the snowmobile question. Worked for a manufacturer and Dad was a snowmobile dealer. It is the low center of gravity for the sleds. Most trailers have the low sloped bull nose covers, or at least the sleds themselves are low, relatively heavy, and  don't catch the wind like our T@bs. I have also trailered 4-wheelers, and the increased height creates an effect that makes them  worse than sleds with the jackknifing.   Many of the trailer hitches are a bit squattier to help reduce play, too.   Of course the preferred scenario is to have a cabin where you can keep your sled, versus having to trailer a lot. :)
    2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    Those hauling snow machines on trailers generally have a lot of experience with ice and snow conditions. I also have years of experience in ice and snow. If you are experienced and comfortable go for it I do, but if conditions require chains on the trailer I am not willing to chance serious damage to our trailer.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We've been driving here in WA for 20 years with our Subaru.   Usually the chains required does not apply to 4WD or AWD,  but if it's really severe conditions,  they can require chains on all vehicles.  Mt. Rainier NP will not let you enter Paradise in the winter without chains,  even though the rangers know you can't put chains on the Subaru.  Subaru specifically says not to use chains, and most don't have room in the wheel wells for even cable chains.  That said,  you are required to carry chains over the passes from Nov. 1 to April 1,  or you risk a big ticket.  So I've carried an old pair of chains that don't fit the vehicle for 20 years.   My next car, I will buy the snow socks that cover the tire,  they are legal in WA and OR, I think.

If I anticipate a lot of snow,  I take the Xterra,  which I do have chains for.   Haven't towed the T@B in the snow yet,  but I imagine I will at some point.  If the roads get too bad, I'll stop and camp.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Indeed, the tire socks are approved in Washington at least.

I think the reason Subaru doesn't recommend chains on their car has to do with permanent all wheel drive.  If you only chain the fronts for example it causes imbalances in the tire speeds and can cause excessive wear or damage to the drivetrain.  Chained tires spin slower.  It may also have to do with limited clearance around the tires.  I'd like to hear Subaru's official reason for it.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    Thanks to all for the comments.  I think I'll watch the weather report before crossing over hwy 5 and through Grants Pass.  I don't think I'll want my t@b to beat me down the mountain.  Again, I know my Subaru can handle just about anything, but the camper may not!
  • Options
    Even with AWD or FWD you may not need chains. Put when towing a trailer it may need or require drag chains in order to keep it behind you if you need to stop quickly. Towing a trailer on ice and snow is a learned skill. Practice in those conditions can be very unforgiving , but the only way I know of gaining the skill.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Thanks Dalehelman.  We've already decided to be snowbirds and go south on Thanksgiving!  My daughter in Oregon will have to enjoy her turkey dinner alone!
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the comments.  I think I'll watch the weather report before crossing over hwy 5 and through Grants Pass.  I don't think I'll want my t@b to beat me down the mountain.  Again, I know my Subaru can handle just about anything, but the camper may not!
    If there is only snow at the higher altitudes you can always take 101. If the weather is clear I do the pass midday when it is usually just wet and sloppy.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I'll consider it, but probably too long of a haul for a four or five day weekend. We'll be coming from Discovery Bay, CA to Corvallis, OR.  I think we'll just head for the sun.