Options

Converter fan and charging battery

LittleredTabLittleredTab Member Posts: 21
Should the converter fan usually run when plugged in to AC power and also when the converter is charging the trailer battery? This is when no other power is being used.
PJ in Arizona 2014 Tacoma. 2015 T@B S

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The fan you hear from the converter is a cooling fan for the converter. It should run a little while when first charging and when first plugged into 110V power. Also occasionally during use.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    The reason I am asking is because today I found that I am not getting any power through my battery so I plugged into AC current to charge the battery and the fan did not turn on the converter as it has done before. The trailer has been plugged into AC for about 5 hours and there is still no power when using only the battery. How long should I expect to see something from the battery or is it not being charged?
  • Options
    There are 12V fuses in the converter that may be blown, and there is a fuse on the wire going to the positive side of the battery at the battery. Check to make sure those fuses are still good. And, there are circuit breakers in the converter that should all be turned on. Try checking those.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for the info Verna. I have checked everything you mentioned except for the fuse at the battery . I will check that now. It was the fuse at the battery that had blown. But now I have to question as to why it had blown.
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Hi, Littlered -- What is the amp of the fuse that was in your inline battery?  Mine is a 20 amp and I've not had any problems with it blowing.  I have heard of other people who discovered their fuse was a different amp, which could be the cause for it blowing. :-/
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Yes, if it was not the correct 20 amp fuse, then it could have blown for that reason.  Other reasons could have been weather, lightning close by, not turning off the breaker on the electrical pedestal at the campground before you plugged into it, or the fuse was just a weak fuse. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thank you Verna for all the information and your help. Happy Travels!
  • Options
    You're welcome, PJ.  Almost any time ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    K9GRLK9GRL Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I’ve read this thread over a couple of times. I’ve been Boondocking/charging while traveling for 2 weeks. I plugged into shore power and the converter fan has been running for 2 1/2 hours. I put a new AGM battery in less than a year ago. 
    Should the battery not be fully charged and the fan stopped?
    many thanks

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @K9GRL Depends. A very depleted 12v AGM can require a overnight charge to reach full capacity (possibly longer, depending on the amp hours involved). 

How are you monitoring the battery state of charge? 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    Also, are you running anything in the trailer?  
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @K9GRL - not only does the converter fan run while charging the battery, it will run if you have a load of 12V appliances drawing power.  So, if you have lights, pump, frig, etc drawing at the same time, the fan will run.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio