Options

Ok, Crazy question

I was wondering.... :o  could one use the Alde heater to keep things warm enough inside the T@B [on shore power] to alleviate the need to winterize? If cupboards, shower door, and side bench panels were left open/off to allow heat to get in these areas would it keep it warm enough to stave off freezing temperatures enough for the pipes/tanks not to freeze? This is more of a curiosity question than anything else, just looking for some input from others on this. Thanks.
2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
Spokane, Wa.
Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Other than the external water tank, everything is internal but the pipes to the pump would be hard to get heat to and the trap for the shower is somewhat external.
    An odd curiosity :-)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Thanks PXL! I was curious more in the fact that the Alde heat system seems very efficient, and living in cold country, have had to keep water running, and cupboards open just to keep house pipes from freezing in older homes that I have owned. Even the pump and the shower drain I wouldn't be too concerned about with the shower door open, and the door in front of the pump open so heat could get to it. Now, the fresh water tank would be the kicker I suppose being under the floor and not as exposed to the heat as much as the other water sources.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    With the water pipes going around the outside of the front of the shower along the outside wall to the kitchen sink in the S model...I think it would be OK in moderately cold temps, but not really cold temps. 

I do admit that I kept the Alde on for a week or so at 55* after I came back from AZ in April. I had to go out at midnight one night to winterize and I was a bit worried. I did leave the shower door open so the air could circulate. Everything was OK, so the super quick blowout with the manual bike pump and the pink antifreeze in the traps worked. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,426
    Assuming the Alde could provide enough heat to keep everything above freezing in the coldest (and windiest) conditions, this could work--in theory. You could just leave the freshwater tank empty to eliminate that weak link.

However, my impression is that RV components are probably not robust enough to withstand 24/7 operation. I'd end up spending more time checking up on the T@B then I would have spent just winterizing it in the first place!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    What is I were to place a "skirt" all around the camper and place a portable electric heater underneath to keep the tanks warm? Another more expensive and elegant solution would be to install tank heater or blanket similar to this:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/tank-blanket-20-gallon-ac/71648

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Ericnliz, funny how we think outside the box seasonally up here, isn't it? OK, I've figured it out...build an enclosed parking pad with in-floor heating system to set the T@B on top of. :-)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Homebodyatheart, That thought crossed my mind as well with the enclosed parking pad w/in floor heating. Next spring it will probably be on my to - do list. Right now, it's been winterized, and the cover is on beside my garage, fairly protected by the garage and a 6' fence on the back side. Same place I used to park the tent trailer, so we'll see what this winter brings. :s:o=)
    Spokane, Wa.