Options

Battery and Charging System Monitor

gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
edited September 2014 in Tips & Tricks
I've had my T@B only three days, so I'm short on experience.  Fortunately, I have a good friend who is a long time serious RV owner who came to see my new trailer.  He brought his Inova 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor (he keeps it in his truck) and demonstrated it for me.  It looks like it an be used to check battery charge level, battery health and charging system performance.  He also pointed out that although I thought everything was turned off, Something wasn't, because the unit indicated a small drain, but probably more than the carbon monoxide monitor.  I had forgotten to turn the refrigerator off.  I was impressed enough to order one from Amazon for $19.95 + shipping.   
Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I have been using this monitor and found it fairly useful.

I believe that the CO2 monitor, smoke detector, and Jenson will always cause some small drain if I am not mistaken.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

You are right, Jenn.  Unless you disconnect the battery (either take cable off the battery or install a disconnect switch), there will be a drain on the battery.  In addition to the smoke detector/CO2 monitor, the entertainment center will be on standby power.  Not a lot of power drain, but over a long period, it will drain the battery.

However, if you have a battery tender or solar charger installed to maintain the charge, you will need to have the cables connected.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    I pull my inline fuse when T@B is in storage between camping trips to avoid the battery drain.  It's easy to do, and my battery still had a 12.4 charge on it even after three weeks of non-use. :)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I use the same monitor and leave it plugged in inside the galley area.  Wally World has them cheaper too.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ