Options

Goal Zero for Power Suppliment

Does anyone use a Goal Zero generator to suppliment power on their T@B? If so, how do you use it? I'm considering a Yeti 400 which has a chaining port so our Zamp 80 watt panels can be used to charge it. Wondering it the Yeti can simply plug into the T@B shore power plug-in.   

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    jkjenn would be your Goal Zero go to - Think she's mentioned GoalZero more than anyone and has a big collection of GZ products.
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I have a Goal Zero 400 that we use for running our CPAP machines at night when camping without hookups. To recharge it, I plug it into one of the T@Bs electric outlets and have my T@B connected to my Honda generator for a couple of hours each day. I also have a 12v adapter to charge it while on the road. I really like it. I picked mine up through on of REI's 20% off members sale and used my yearly dividend to purchase it at a reasonable price. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    We belong to REI too. Im trying to determine if a Yeti can recharge the T@B's battery somehow. Either by plugging into the Zamp solar plug or the shore power inlet.
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    sabel said:
    We belong to REI too. Im trying to determine if a Yeti can recharge the T@B's battery somehow. Either by plugging into the Zamp solar plug or the shore power inlet.
    I don't see anywhere on the specs that it can do this, but here's their number:
    888-794-6250 (Goal Zero).

2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Found specs on Amazon--33 AH.  Since it's also a lead acid battery, you only get 16 AH usable.  A typical small group 24 battery (that most dealers put into t@bs) gives you 80 or so AH (40 usable).

Considering losses in efficiency, you might be able to put in 10-12 AH from a fully charged Yeti, into your campers battery.

Best to save the battery for your lights and fridge, then use Yeti for CPAP.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Maybe plug a battery tender into the goal zero, then connect the tender to the battery
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    wizard1880,
    Guess I knew the Goal Zero could not fully charge a group 24 battery but was hoping it would be enough to keep the Alde pump and controls work for a day or two on a cloudy day. 
    Thanks  for doing the math.
  • Options
    SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    So - could you recharge the Yeti by plugging it into one of the T@Bs electric outlets - and at the same time have the T@B battery charging from a solar panel? - or would that cause too much of a drain on the T@B battery? - just asking as I'm new to this and still figuring out solar use.
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    SueBC said:
    So - could you recharge the Yeti by plugging it into one of the T@Bs electric outlets - and at the same time have the T@B battery charging from a solar panel? - or would that cause too much of a drain on the T@B battery? - just asking as I'm new to this and still figuring out solar use.
    No, the 110V electric outlets are only energized when on shore power. There is no inverter in the system to change 12V DC battery power into 120V AC. When on 120V shore power there is a converter to feed 12V DC to the 12V loads (LED lights, fans, pumps, Jensen radio and TV) and a charger to charge the battery. If no shore power, you would have to charge the Yeti with a solar panel after charging up the battery.
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Unless you have a T@B 400. They have an inverter. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Ratkity, I’ll have to check on whether all of the outlets are connected to the inverter in the 400. I know they have one extended outlet from the inverter. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    @Ratkity, @Verna
    In the T@B 400's that are equipped with the optional inverter, only a single 110V outlet is powered and only when the inverter is switched on. Both the outlet and the on/off switch is located on a panel at the foot of the bed on the right side of the kitchen cabinet.
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My 2018 F150 has an inverter with one plug (I think.. maybe two).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)