Options

Stainless Steel Flatware Organizer w Wood Base - How to mount to countertop?

Hi,
In my endless attempt to free up cabinet space, I am trying out this Flatware Organizer as a way to store all of my silverware, wine opener, wine stopper, can opener, knives, scissors and spatula. I got it because it fits perfectly behind the stove when the lid is up. Usually I only have something on the stove long enough to boil water, so I'm not worried about heat, especially with the glass lid.

My question is, would double sticky tape be the best way to mount this? Wondering if anyone else has tried adhering something to the counter top and had it stay put while driving. The base is wood, so I imagine I'd have to glue a plastic sheet to it, but am looking for suggestions.

2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'd get some 3M Command Strips (the replacement strips) and try those - If they didn't work they are easily removed. I use them for a couple similar applications without their hooks/etc, just the raw strips.
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    edited November 2016
    PXLated said:
    I'd get some 3M Command Strips (the replacement strips) and try those - If they didn't work they are easily removed. I use them for a couple similar applications without their hooks/etc, just the raw strips.
    Whew, I thought you were going to tell me to use blocks! ;)

Do you think the Command Strips adhesive would stick to wood?*
    *Edited: Command Strip website says "painted or varnished wood", so I'd have to treat the bottom, but could do that.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Betting it'd stick without painting/varnishing - Easy to remove if they don't stick to the raw wood, paint/varnish and reapply.
    I use the strips to mount my bubble levels. I remove the foam tape (the hot sun softens the foam and the levels shift) and replace with one or two layers of Command Strips.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Do check out the Command picture hanging strips. They hold well and whatever you mount with them can be removed and replaced. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Ready America 33111 Museum Gel, Clear

Jill, look on Amazon for this Museum Gel. I have had an IU Basketball Gnome and a set of Glass Coca Cola salt and pepper shakers on my countertop for almost 18 months and they have not moved at all. But, I can move them if I want, so it is not permanent. 

It is a clear gel that does spread out as the gel gets warmer with weather changes.  It is also what the big coaches use so they can keep items on their end tables, counters, etc. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks @Verna ! - I found it at a Lowe's (Amazon would be delayed due to holiday) and will fetch it asap. I'll add a little wood sealer to the bottom just to make it a bit less porous. Never heard of this stuff, sounds wonderful.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    @AldebaranJill, a friend who full-times in a 42' Coach (that's what they call them!) told me about it. Unbelievable how well it sticks. Use more than what they recommend...from my experience. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Public places (hotel lobbies, cafes, etc) often times use that gel under their lamps and decorative items.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Thanks @Verna ! - I found it at a Lowe's (Amazon would be delayed due to holiday) and will fetch it asap. I'll add a little wood sealer to the bottom just to make it a bit less porous. Never heard of this stuff, sounds wonderful.
    Where do find it in the Lowe's store?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    This was what the website said as far as where it was in the store, look for the little red marker. It looked like maybe 3/4 of the Lowe's around me had it. It appears to be near Hardware and Cleaning and where they make Keys.

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    @Verna - A report on the Museum aka Quake Gel: Totally worked! My caddy was chock full of stuff and road had potholes and it stayed put. It is simply amazing stuff. Oozed out at least 3" on all sides over time and simply removed overflow with no reside left behind. Totally magic. Perfect solution for this application. Thank you! This gives me more countertop mod possibilities.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Jill: I would be concerned that your stuff would pop out when you drive. Does your rig have a shower door or closet door? (Sorry I can't remember what model you have).  An over door organizer is one way offering storage space. I fold mine and lay in bathroom floor when traveling. 

Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    I am using it underneath a painted wood silverware caddy that's sitting on my countertop. It's not inside a cabinet. See the photos at the top. I would not think it would have held, but @Verna was totally right about this Museum/Quake Gel. It's just incredible. The excess that came out I balled up and put into a cabinet just to keep it there.  A few days later, it had spread out into a flat clear perfect pancake. It's just really cool stuff for mounting things on impermeable horizontal surfaces that get jolted (not under constant load). 
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    We had a lady in a tada attending tabazona last year. Her rig was so cute. She actually had canisters filled with stuff other than flour, sugar (like pencils, Velcro, spoons, etc) all held in place with the gel. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    I am using it underneath a painted wood silverware caddy that's sitting on my countertop. It's not inside a cabinet. See the photos at the top. I would not think it would have held, but @Verna was totally right about this Museum/Quake Gel. It's just incredible. The excess that came out I balled up and put into a cabinet just to keep it there.  A few days later, it had spread out into a flat clear perfect pancake. It's just really cool stuff for mounting things on impermeable horizontal surfaces that get jolted (not under constant load). 

Jill, where did you find your organizer? Definitely going to check out the Museum Gel.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    @dmerzbac I got it on Amazon: 
    Bruntmor, 18/8 Stainless Steel Flatware Organizer Holder Caddy With Wood Base, Service for 12 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016H6SZV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_3d4ryb5KT2534

The museum gel is really remarkable. I laid two screws on a mound, just to see, and after a few days they were totally emerged. It's like a slow moving (helpful) blob.  =)
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @Verna would your gel work for making a decal more adhesive?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    That organizer looks like it will work for us too. Will free up a lot of space in the cupboards. Amazon.ca wants 61.00 CDN for it though.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    @jkjenn, it’s only for interior and it is not flat, like a spray adhesive. I would recommend one of the 3M tapes for a decal. Or the 3M Spray Adhesive #77 would be good for an interior decal. Be very careful of the fumes—it smells bad!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    @jkjenn, it’s only for interior and it is not flat, like a spray adhesive. I would recommend one of the 3M tapes for a decal. Or the 3M Spray Adhesive #77 would be good for an interior decal. Be very careful of the fumes—it smells bad!
    Thank you - perfect! It's for an indoor, shower doordecal. That surface is not perfectly smooth.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    badnutsbadnuts Member Posts: 9
    I have discovered roles of extra strong heavy duty velcro and it holds almost anything up or on.  I have two filled stainless steel utensil caddies on my countertop that have stayed on through lots of bumpy miles.
    2017 T@B 320S, 2020 Hyundai Palisade, Duluth Minnesota