Options

Ease of Parking?

judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
edited October 2014 in Tips & Tricks
We haven't bought our first T@B, haven't bought our first RV, for that matter. We have never driven a trailer and dear husband isn't sure he would be brave enough now. We realize the small ones with simply sleeping quarters might be easy enough to unhook,and physically move if necessary. However, that is not what we want or need, Do you experienced haulers find that the LG is easier or harder than most travel trailers? I sweetly remind him that we could practice in a parking lot before,or after hours.
Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

Comments

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

It has been my experience that the shorter the trailer, the more difficult it is to maneuver when backing up.  Practice and experience makes it easier.  I will say that I have never been able to back into a spot in perfect position on the first try.  If I ever do, it will be more luck than skill.

Keep in mind that most others are in the same position.  Do not be embarrassed about having to make several attempts at getting into just the right position because most people know what your are experiencing.  Those that don't understand will not really matter because the likelihood of your ever seeing them again is rather remote.  Just have fun and relax.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Oh, I travel alone, and when some well-meaning bystander offers to help, I usually decline by saying, "No Thanks.  I need the practice."  I do this because the directions others give, no matter how well intentioned, usually just serve to frustrate me and make it more difficult.  If the space is really tight, or there is a close object that I might back into, I gladly accept the offer.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
    These T@B Trailers are very easy and fun to pull. I NEVER pulled any trailer before and hardily could tell it was behind me.  Only seeing a large white thing following in my rear view mirror did I know the T@B was still there.  :):).    Go for it.

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Rzrbug is right on the money. My outing before Tearstock, I nailed it on the first try. When I pulled into Tearstock, it fought me. Fact is, it's been a great (first!) full time rig for me, and it actually does a great job. It's been a great experience so far.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
    edited September 2014
    The T@B tows like a dream. It's not really harder to back than bigger trailers, it just reacts more quickly to small movements of the steering wheel. Always start with the front tires of the car pointed straight ahead, hold the steering wheel at the bottom and move your hands the way you want the T@B to go. Remember, SMALL MOVEMENTS. I hadn't towed before, practiced in an empty lot with some small, toy cones about an hour a day for a week. I've had the T@B a little over a year now, and most of the time I only have to try a second time if I don't nail it the first time which occurs about half the time. Practice, Practice, Practice and you will be rewarded! We haven't had so much fun in years, go for it!
    Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2014
    Loved the response above Wallow, I'll have to remember that one next time out!    =))

I own a Little Guy Silver Shadow and have to agree with most of the points above.   Larry is spot on as a smaller trailer reacts immediately to any movement in the steering wheel and since the wheel radius is shorter, it turns on a dime and will jack knife quickly if you are not paying attention.  I normally tell people, "take your time, take it slow and pay attention" as by backing in slowly you can correct your movements and calculate things easier.  I consider myself to be a seasoned veteran when it comes to backing in trailers, but like anything else, it takes practice and is never easy given obstacles in parks such as rocks, fire rings, location of power pedestals, picnic tables, trees/bushes, etc.  I've driven large utility vehicles with trailers attached during my former career at the power company too and learned the hard way as a rookie lineworker that nothing comes easy and was set-up one day on the job site and became the laughing stock via other people's antics and jokes....  I also helped some women in Texas this spring when they were having difficulty when backing in a mid-size travel travel (larger than a T@B) into a campsite and realized that even the larger sized unit was a challenge and quite the chore as the line of sight was a hindrance, even though I did get this behemoth into their desired position.  

I have found that even though the Little Guys are small, they can easily be maneuvered into a location and position with practice and wherewithal.  Nothing is ever easy when you have never done it, nor had any prior practice and experience.  I know that some new owners have driven into large parking lots and used the unlimited space to practice their techniques and this has helped ease fears, while honing this skill.  Another tip is to grasp the bottom of the steering wheel with both hands and turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to turn to.  And an even better method that works well for me and that is demonstrated in the video below is know as "the scoop."  If you practice the tips shown below in the video, the information is priceless and works well in many situations.  I use this method every time I can, and when returning home it works like a champ too!

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    My first couple of times backing in was hard, until I get a feel for how the trailer moves. My previous experience was an M416 military trailer, which was very difficult to aback up, even for those with plenty of experience. I did find that having someone giving me help the first few times out helped but after I had a bit of practice I no longer needed it. The hardest place I have to back in is my own house because I have to do it from a very narrow alley. The great thing about the T@b is that you don't have to be too terribly particular because you can maneuver it after you unhook if you are on a hard flat surface.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Rule of thumb for me is to get out, do a walk around every now and then so that you can assess the area, judge distances and adjust to your surroundings as opposed to having someone outside barking out commands.  As noted earlier, some well meaning people acting as spotters don't always have a good eye and it can end up in more forward and backward action as your patience grows paper thin.  Another trick I use when getting into close proximity to the trailer during initial hook-up (and when I am in straight line distance) is to approximate the needed distance to align over the top of the ball on the hitch, place a small rock or branch on the ground and use a fixed point on the vehicle (maybe your mirror- I dangle my foot outside the door and align it with the object placed on the ground) to judge the additional distance needed to align both ball and trailer tongue.  Normally I am spot on if I only need to back straight up to the trailer and rarely miss using this method.  I know that someone else mentioned this a while back here on the forum, but I've done this for quite a while with success.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    I agree with Michigan Mike, the Scoop works!!  I found that little video while searching on the internet on how to back trailers and when I tried it, I backed my T@b into a parking spot first time. Another recommendation that I folllowed was to find an empty  parking lot and practiced straight line backing until I got good at that and then I practiced the scoop until I felt comfortable.
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    Cheryl74074Cheryl74074 Member Posts: 71
    I agree with everyone above. And if you're a couple, know that parking the T@B may be the only time you get mad at each other! :)
    Cheryl, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, 2015 T@b S Maxx (T@bitha)
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Cheryl, I just grin and bear it, Becky is still no good at helping me back the T@Bpole into spots.  I am better off doing it myself, but I have gotten pretty good at it.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Well, come on down to KY and teach us.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I find the T@B to be extremely easy to park. But maybe it's because I played in a band for a number of years and before we got the tour bus it was double axel U-Hauls. You get good with one of those first, no matter how long ago, and the T@B is just a treat.

That doesn't mean I get it right every single time though.
  • Options
    SunnyTABSunnyTAB Member Posts: 65
    We're terrible at it. We use pull-throughs or unhook it and move it by hand. Seriously, we're pathetic.

Tiff in Seattle

2012 BMW x3/2008 TCS "Sunny"

• Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    I can back into campsites, but we learned long ago that pushing it into its spot at the storage lot leaves us with a much better vacation glow than trying to park it tight between two other rigs does.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    SunnyTab, love your comment. I learned to drive in an old Willys jeep with a stick. I would love to have that now pulling our T@B.

• Options
    TabyDDTabyDD Member Posts: 52
    Backing  the Tab up is a lesson in humility.  I am getting better, pretty much refusing to camp in less appealing sites because of their pull thoroughness;)  One tip I have is you park in a safe spot near your site and go 'walk it'.  Figure exactly where you want your wheels, have one or two of your chocks with you and set them where you want your wheels to be.  Place on the outside area of where you want your wheels.  'Sometimes' it's just enough 'visual' to schooch into your desired spot.  D
    Seattle, Wa
  • Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    Hey guys I know this thread is about backing the trailer up and we all have to go through that learning curve. But I have found one item that is a big help in backing up to align the TV hitch ball with the tongues hitch. It is two telescoping (like a cars radio antenna) poles with magnetic mounts and yellow balls, like tennis balls in the ends. Place one on the TV hitch bar behind the ball and the other on the trailer tongues hitch ball receptacle. You can see both out your rear view mirror and can then know where the two are in relationship to one another, I started using one of these to save the rear bumper on my TV when hooking up my boat trailer. Works great. I got mine form CW. But backing the trailer into a space I still use Mike's method and that works for both hitching and trailer backing.
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Jim, I also use the same telescoping yellow balls.  I also recognized the value for saving my back bumper.  I bought mine at Walmart.  The only negative reviews I found for them was about being cheaply made.  They are inexpensive, but not cheaply made in my opinion.  I kept the packaging and use it for storage.  
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited November 2014
    Camping World has a set of two fiberglass poles for hitching help, painted fluorescent yellow with red tips. They have very strong magnets on the bottom end to put on your hitch and on your ball. It took me two trips to break the tennis ball duo, but, I haven't broken these two sticks. And it's so much easier to line them up. Granted they don't telescope, but I've been able to store them where one would have a clothes rod in the rear of my Escape.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    Gil now that you mention it maybe I did get mine at Walmart, can't remember now for sure. So far have not broken them store them under my back seat along with the windshield squeegy and ice scraper and several other items that need to be handy. The yellow balls seem to possibly be the weak component in the set up so I never grasp these to extend or retract the unit. So far so good and these sure help when you don't have a spotter to help with the alignment.

Verna the magnets on these are quite strong also and thanks for the input. I may need to check those out if mine break.
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    CodeJunkieCodeJunkie Member Posts: 50
    Verna, I have the same poles from CW you mentioned.  I never have a problem lining up the hitch using them. In fact, my very first ever attempt was perfect. I store them in the back of the truck inside a styrofoam "noodle" (like kids use for water floats) that I split down the center.  They slide right inside for protection against breakage.
    Debbie

2014 T@B S M@xx with wetbath, aka PopT@B, silver with black trim, TV 2002 Chevy Avalanche

"Take only pictures, leave only footprints."
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Verna and Debbie, Thanks,  I just returned from a fourth use of the "Yellow Balls."  The collapsing units were fine, but preparing to leave out camp, I found a magnet missing.  Simply using one on the receiver worked well, but I stopped at a Camping World on the way back and purchased the units you recommend.  These are more expensive, but do seem better made.  I hope I didn't post too soon last time :=)
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    You will love them,Gil. Just make sure you put them where they won't need to bend. I hang mine from Velcro tie wraps from the ceiling of the Escape and Debbie uses the pool noodles--both ways work. You'll figure out a place to keep them safe.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I, too, use the telescoping rods with tennis balls.  One on the Jeep is sufficient, because when I'm close enough to the T@B tongue, it will knock it off the hitch ball.  I also began, years ago, to place a pine cone, stick, or rock where I want my driver's side T@B tire to land.  Cuts out a lot of getting in and out in an attempt to decide if I'm where I want to be.  The backing just takes practice.  Do it often enough, and it becomes second nature.  When I was learning, I got the most benefit from a state park during the off season.  Nobody around to give advice or get in the way. I could practice to my heart's content on all different kinds of pads....and I did. 
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    TabyDDTabyDD Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for the seasoned perspective TABaker.  Next time I'll grab a pine cone, much easier.  The backing up truly is a 'practice' issue.  I can't believe the improvement, now I don't need a drive through!  ;)
    Seattle, Wa