Options

Signed the initial paperwork and made the deposit on this....

2»

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Verna, That one goes both ways!, Ah, what the heck, go Hoosiers! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    Verna - Yes, but not until Spring.  I'm in Ontario and the dealership offered to store her for me for free and keep it covered by their insurance until I pick her up in the spring.  Then, I will most definitely camp in the driveway.  Then, at the campground around the corner...because, I'm sure there will be a huge difference given it is 2 km away. :)  My daughter has asked if she can camp out in the driveway with me so we can eat candy and watch movies.  Priorities and all.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    LauraRey, Now THAT sounds like a plan! Have fun!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,500
    LauraRey, DD and I have driveway camping planned, too. It may involve chocolate and movies. DH has been mumbling something about when he's in hot water he may have to sleep in the T@B. I may have mumbled something back about over my dead body or something like that. I see an arm wrestling match in our future if this keeps up... And mods, lots of mods to look at once it's here. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Homebodyatheart, just a suggestion, but look through all the mods, and bookmark the ones you think you'll want to do later. It will save you a lot of time searching for them later! By the way, .....poor hubby, no T@B dog house! :s
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Ericnliz, I did that as I went along...only 103 to comb through and sort out :-). I did learn how to post small pics stuff today, a feat for me! Now to bake a pie... Oh, and don't feel too badly for DH, he has Husbandland in the basement, all warm and cozy this time of year!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @Verna - What size solar panels do you have?  (120?  160?)  And what brand?  Do you like them?
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'll step on this as I've helped Verna wrestle her panels into her truck. She has the Zamp 200s (or is it the 180s). I have the Zamp 120s. Was really surprised at the size and weight difference. Zamps work like a champ - plug-n-play. Mine have been deployed almost every day in all kinds of weather for two years. If I was buying today though, I'd do the Zamp 150.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    LauraRey said:
    @Verna - What size solar panels do you have?  (120?  160?)  And what brand?  Do you like them?
    @LauraRey,I have a 200 watt Zamp suitcase, with dual Interstate (brand name) golf cart batteries in the diamond plate front tub that give me 232 ah (amp hours) of battery storage. While this may seem like a lot, I figured that I only wanted to purchase the solar panels once, and in doing so, I needed to match the ah of the batteries as closely as I could.

I'm expecting the panels to last 10 years plus, and the batteries to last 5 years plus. The batteries are about $170 each so with an investment of around $340, that makes it $68 per year or less for batteries. Approximately $90 per year for the solar panels for their estimated investment.  So, for $158/year, minus what I save by not having to pay for electric sites 2/3 of the time in Arizona, I think that is a rather good investment.  (I easily save over $158 by not paying for electric sites in the winter.) 

The recommended solar panel size for a T@B is 120 watts with a group 24 battery. You also need to check for PXlated's setup since he fulltimes in his T@B and I "full time" for 3 to 4 months in the winter, plus other camping during other months.  You may need more, depending on what you need to power. 

Your mileage may vary, but this is how I set mine up and how I justify the initial outlay of cost. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Ah....someone who does numbers. Happy smile.  (I'm a software developer and adjunct faculty at a university teaching coding...and thus like data...a lot.)

Thank you for the information. I am leaning toward the 160 watt Zamp.  

• Options
    Numbers ... $700 Zamp, $120 Battery - $820 over two years (730 days) = $1.12/day and going down each day.
    Did I really just do numbers - I must not be feeling well.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated, whether or not you are sick, those numbers are what I am aiming for. (But, currently, I am not planning on full timing in my T@B, nor any other camper.) 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Whether it's a buck, or two or five - it is was it is. Doesn't matter. If one's doing what they want or enjoy doing. At least to me.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    LauraRey said:
    Ah....someone who does numbers. Happy smile.  (I'm a software developer and adjunct faculty at a university teaching coding...and thus like data...a lot.)

Thank you for the information. I am leaning toward the 160 watt Zamp.  

Cool. I'm a retired software engineer and SW project manager myself! :-)
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    @Photomom  Cool!  So there is life after coding? :)  And, on a different topic, what kind of dog is Max?
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited November 2016
    Yes there is, however I have a little Arduino I like to play with and I've done a few code breaking Perl scripts to help solve puzzle geocaches. Oh, and I've helped out a local animal shelter with some programs to analyze some of their data and with some IT grunt work.

Max is half Beagle and half Australian Shepherd. Behaviorally he's a Beagle but he's the size of a small Aussie. Intelligence wise he's smart for a Beagle.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    CONGRATS!!!!
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    Sounds like a great plan! I'm looking forward to pictures when you get the chance.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    laura, have fun messing with your trailer, enjoy playing with it this winter....
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada