Options

First time to camp in cold weather ...

PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
We have the Sofitel since 7/2015 and have had few camping trips.  We are learning on the forum and all seem to be fine.  Thanks to you all.

12/2016 will be our first time to camp in cold weather.  Since we purchased the camper in 7/2015 we have not yet turned on or used the propane gas tank.

What are the essentials and advices to use Sofitel first time in cold weather?  
To have the heater on does it require to have proppae gas tank on?
2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Last first - The heat doesn't require propane if you are hooked up to electrical - If you are, propane can give it a boost and heat the place up quicker. If not hooked up, the propane is your only option for heat.
    Are you going to be hooked up?
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Does your model have an external water tank?  We have a 2015 model, but got it in mid-2014, still with the 5-gal inside FW tank.  We've camped in slightly below freezing weather, but not super cold (like it's supposed to be this week)...so I would think you'd avoid using any water (unless you have a heated FW hose), and either gray/black tanks (assuming you have them...but I'd still throw some pink stuff in both).  We also have some of those one-use toilet bags (but haven't used them yet).  Kinda like camping in a warm tent!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Playc - You didn't mention whether you had water aboard or not. That presents a different issue than propane/heat. Also, what temps are you expecting?
  • Options
    Thanks to you all for the advice and the trip is for sure a "go".  Your advice influence significantly . 

Yes, Sofitel has a water tank with Refrig, ( stove, toilet and shower which have not been used).  Camp site has electric and water with nice shower facility.
  • Options
    temperature will be in low 40s
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    If you want a quicker warm-up, then as PXLated says using propane will help. Otherwise, I prefer just using electric - more economical since its included with the site fee, and it's also much quieter. Don't forget to vent (open top vent and a window a little bit.) My first mistake was setting the thermostat too high. It doesn't take a lot to warm that little space. With low temps in the 40s, you won't need to worry about water issues, and at those temps just having the Alde heat the water may be enough - along with your body heat - to keep the interior warm enough, especially if you like cool sleeping temps like we do.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    JiroTXJiroTX Member Posts: 124
    Playc,

If I remember correctly, you are in TX, right? Our winter is not really "winter" to most people on this forum. It's more like summer to them. If you are camping above 32F, you don't have to worry about anything except for the heater. I had a lot of problem with the thermostat on my 2015 Outback and had to replace with the digital one. It just didn't start at all until next morning. I suggest that you bring a little space heater ($20-30 from Walmart) just in case. I will also check the Alde on propane just in case you have power outage.

Jiro
  • Options
    Thanks to you all.  Hope to see you at Galveston Island State Park (beach side) 12/5 Mon - 12/8 Thur
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    When we camped at a full hook-up site in Monument Valley, temps got down to the 40's overnight.  We brought a small ceramic heater...either used it in the attached tent or inside...what a luxury!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    heading to Walmat to buy the ceramic heater Sunday, thanks for the advice
  • Options
    Funny, I've never had a lick of condensation - must be a two person in small space phenom.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited November 2016
    I wish we had taken a small heater on our Whistler trip.  First, to just get the camper warmed up quick when we first arrived.  And then to put in our tow vehicle to dry ski clothes and stinky ski boots.  

We also leave the vent fan slightly open or get a little condensation.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    VermonsterVermonster Member Posts: 80
    Hey PXL.  yes, I've noticed a big difference between one person and two with moisture buildup.  (Like maybe twice as much ;).  Here in the northeast and I'm sure the northwest, moisture is a much bigger problem than cold.  One reason I am thinking I like the old hot air furnace in my unit instead of the alde.   Moves lots of air around to keep things dry!   And literally instant heat.  We don't heat at all during the night,  just a while before going to bed and a bit in the morning before getting out.  
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The digital thermostat for the Alde has an automatic set-back feature. I set the thermostat for 60* at 10pm and back up to 65* at 5 am. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    The analog has an automatic stepdown also - I automatically step it down. Takes about a second and a half :-)
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I don't understand the comment that the Alde on electric is quieter than on propane.  It doesn't seem to be the case with me.  My Alde is silent on propane, except for an occasional gurgle.
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    When the propane burner kicks in to heat the water / glycol, there's a noise with the ignition, and the exhaust fan is "noisy" - relative to the silence of the electric elements, anyway. There are reports in other threads on this of a roaring with the propane burner going at higher altitudes.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ahhh, those sounds are music to my ears because I'm warm because of them ;). I camped one winter in a teardrop in AZ without a furnace, only a 0* sleeping bag, and I love my Alde. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”