Options

Battery system monitors

captaincaptain Member Posts: 5
We primarily camp where there is no electrical hookups. After the first summer in our new 2007 T@B I realized I had no way of knowing how much energy was left in the battery. After some research I learned that the answer is a battery system monitor device. The product I purchased and installed was the Trimetric model 2020 battery system monitor by Bogart Engineering. I found the most helpful information from: wholesalesolar.com. The monitor provides volts available, amps being consumed and % full of the battery. www.solarbiz had the best price for the monitor, 100 amp sh
I mounted the 4.5" x 4.75" digital display inside the cabinet under the sink so as to be in close proximity to the battery. I drilled a small hole through the front of the trailer for feeding wire to the LP tank / battery enclosure so to make the battery connections.
The benefit is being able to know if and when I need to fire up the generator or plug-in so as not to drain the battery too low. The analogy is like having a gas gauge for the battery.
The installation was not as challenging as I anticipated, although not everyone may want to tackle this themselves.
I think the biggest culprit draining the battery is operating the 3-way refrigerator on battery especially without the tow vehicle running.

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    That sounds like a top notch set-up and runs about $160 from what I could find on the Internet. I've got a small digital voltmeter I use on my Silver Shadow and use to use a digital fuel gauge type meter previously but prefer to see the actual voltage reads which you are getting on your new system..... Thanks for sharing your info!

There is some useful battery information here for anyone interested: Battery Maintenance Facts

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    geromogeromo Member Posts: 33
    i am new to "shore power". Several people have advised getting a surge protector installed and another says not necessary. Recommendations?? also looking for a basic battery monitor--something simple just to monitor voltage any thoughts?
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    So then, Neil, if you plug this device (which you linked a picture to above) into the 12V galley plug, would this give a reading of the charge left on the battery in T@B?  It seems as though that would be a very easy way to monitor it. :-\"
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    There is no doubt about it, a surge protector WILL provide your trailer with added protection in the event you experience an episode of over voltage, electrical imbalance or short circuit situation.  I don't use one on my trailer, but it is an added insurance policy should something go wrong while camping and will protect the electrical system and components in your trailer.  

I mounted a fuel gauge of sorts in my prior 5-wide Little Guy, but do have a small 12 volt DC meter that plugs into the receptacles in my new Silver Shadow, similar to what Neil linked to above.  We had a good discussion on this a while back on the Little Guy forum too - "Keeping track of your battery's charge level"

• Options
    Geromo -- After reading several accounts of the power pedestal at campgrounds failing, I got a surge protector/current tester from Camping World for around $65 online.  I plan to use it.  For that price, it seems like cheap protection for T@B's sensitive electronics.  It's the kind that you plug into the power pedestal and can test the current before you plug in your power cord. :D
  • Options
    Good information above!

The voltage spike or jump when plugged into is a good indicator that the electric converter is doing its job no doubt!  Good observation Neil and thanks for sharing!  
  • Options
    Just added one to my (growing) shopping cart at Amazon!!!  Hopefully when the camping season starts I will be too busy camping to be shopping for T@B gadgets.  :))
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited March 2014
    I ordered the Progressive Industries surge protector with the remote readout to kill 2 birds with one stone. They seem to have customer reviews and I have watched enough installation videos to believe I can tackle the job myself. It will be the very first thing I do when I get my T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    great info from all--i'm going on line now to locate these. When i bought the camper (2011 model used only once) the power converter was burned out --expensive for dealer to replace. He advised to install something like this so it did not happen again.
  • Options
    ordered both from amazon--also they recommended for about $10 the CAMCO 55263 AC line voltage meter before you stick anything into the shore plug.--- gives basic line voltage and general safety check.--probably a rip-off but could provide general condition of voltage.--thanks to everyone again. i am sure i'll have more questions later. we are leaving this summer from NC up through North Dakota--over to Glacier, down to the Yellowstone. then to the Tetons, Salt lake City, over to  Rocky Mountain NP then back home. Should be a great trip!!
  • Options
    HobienHobien Member Posts: 11
    How accessible is the main power coming into the trailer to install a permanent surge protector? I have ordered a M@xx Q due for delivery in about two weeks and am thinking I'll install this myself. Thanks!  By the way, great info on this forum.
    Nathan & Patty -Toyota 4-Runner - 2015 T@B Max Q 
    Lawrence, KS
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    HobienHobien Member Posts: 11
    Thank you both for the links, very helpful.
    Nathan & Patty -Toyota 4-Runner - 2015 T@B Max Q 
    Lawrence, KS
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I wanted to add a comment about the permanent Progressive one I installed. The monitor is uswed by me more than you would think, both for initial "power check" piece of mind, but also for the ammeter function, letting me know how many amps different items draw. I have gotten an idea of the microwave, the Alde in power mode and "standby", the converter with DC lighting, etc.

I might be dorky, but I like knowing what I can plan for in a 30 amp environment.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Similar to Mike's...I picked up this at the venerable Camping World when I was in Denver this weekend... http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/12-24-volt-lcd-voltage-meter/19983

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Hi,
    I just ordered a surge protector from amazon. My dealer will put it in before I pick up my trailer. Any hints or tips I can pass on to him?  

1 of: 
    Progressive Industries EMSHW30C Surge Protector 
    Sold by: Amazon.com LLC 
    The Mouse house and me